Smarthome forum appears to be offline

gregkinney

Not only is the forum offline but the local phone numbers for both Smartlabs and Smarthome are no longer working.

The Smarthome 800 number tells you to contact them via email. Over the last few weeks I've sent them several emails and never received a response.

Has anyone received an email response from them?

Even if smarthome/smartlabs closes up shop... the technology will surly be up for sale.  Like happened to X-10 (how many times?) someone will likely buy it and bring Insteon back to market.  Corporate world doesn't flush assets down the toilet they instead will get what they can get on the investment.  It actually could be a good thing in terms of pricing, a buyer that bought at a huge discount can bring the technology back to market at less cost, allowing it compete against lower priced products.

I also visited nokia.com this morning... those smarhome pages seem to be gone too...

26 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

That's been in the so store for a year now

I just tried calling the local phone number listed for the app developer, seems to be disconnected. Their 800 number has a recording saying to email them. I guess everything hit the fan this month.

Website works, but as far as I can tell, everything is either sold out or sends you to amazon.

We shall see who comes away with the technology.  I assume someone will.  In the meantime, I have plenty of spares.  Wonder where Nokia comes out in this?

Nokia website for the switches looks to be taken down.

image.thumb.png.4b0a9ddad9a039aeecc678c1aa892c4b.png

49 minutes ago, Techman said:

I just tried calling the local phone number listed for the app developer, seems to be disconnected. Their 800 number has a recording saying to email them. I guess everything hit the fan this month.

I don't know. I've never used their support lines. I thought that change happened a while back in regards to email only.

Update: That's it. They're done!

3 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I don't know. I've never used their support lines. I thought that change happened a while back in regards to email only.

Update: That's it. They're done!

Sure seems that way.

I think Michel mentioned a while back that they were trying to sell the Company.

Does anyone with installer or developer access to Smartlabs have any updates?

20 minutes ago, Techman said:

Sure seems that way.

I think Michel mentioned a while back that they were trying to sell the Company.

Does anyone with installer or developer access to Smartlabs have any updates?

That is the update. They're done

48 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

That is the update. They're done

Looks like their whole operation may be shut down. All the 3rd party products they sold on the Smarthome website are either "out of stock" or they refer you to Amazon.

I wonder what will become of the Insteon patent. Being that they pretty much ran the company into the ground I would assume its value is minimal. It's certainly a sad state of affairs.

As of this morning. Both the Smarthome and Insteon forums are still off line.

Years ago under the old management. One day with out notice the Insteon Developers Group just vanished. With no advanced warnings.

For the present. The main Insteon web site can still be accessed.

17 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

I expect Z-Wave

I doubt that Zwave will fail. There are too many manufacturers and devices for Zwave to disappear as what appears to be the case of Insteon. However, new technologies  come and go  and Zwave may fade away over time. Right now Google Home , Alexa and Apple Homekit seem to focus on the unsophisticated market but that could change with better user interface Apps.  And will Matter not matter, or will it ?

Interestingly I saw that Inovelli is coming with a Zigbee device. I had hopes for Inovelli as they came out with (as their name suggests) with innovative Zwave products, but for a while now they seem to have gone the Smarthome way, sold out and no customer service. Also, the quality of their products is far from perfect. Therefore going into Zigbee may be their swan song.

One data point re Zigbee vs Zwave   -- Nabu Casa, the business arm of Home Assistant, integrated Zigbee but not Zwave into their Home Assistant Yellow box. 

https://www.crowdsupply.com/nabu-casa/home-assistant-yellow

Clarification -- the logic behind this choice is partly that Zigbee is the same worldwide whereas Z-wave operates on different frequencies and so makes more sense to add a USB stick as needed. 

1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

No more speculations ... they are gone! It's 100% official and it has been for a couple of weeks now.

With kind regards,
Michel

Are they in bankruptcy or are they solvent but just shut down?  Are they selling their patents and secret code?  If they are in bankruptcy then these things would be for sale by court order.

What I know is that they were going to sell but it didn't go through, so they just decided to shut down. 

With regard to PLM and devices, the outlook is grim. If they would offer me their PLM code/chip in return for $ per unit, I might consider (all we need is the chip since we already designed it once before they shut us down). I will not entertain up front $. The only goal would be to support existing customers. 

With kind regards,
Michel

Archived