Smarthome forum appears to be offline

gregkinney

18 minutes ago, captrickr said:

3) Might be worth it for some "Smart Guy" to figure out how to redirect our Inseon Hubs and write an interface to get thousands of us back up and running. UD?

Redirect them where?

11 minutes ago, captrickr said:

Does anyone know if the new UD Polisy can use the PLM from Simplehomenet? Its labeled Model 5010N and has a USB cable connected to it.

no.

11 minutes ago, captrickr said:

Also noticed there is a guy on Ebay that will repair your PLM if you have a broken one.

correct.  His ad has been linked here many times. He now apparently has 2 prices based on what's wrong. $75 or $55

12 minutes ago, captrickr said:

Might be worth it for some "Smart Guy" to figure out how to redirect our Inseon Hubs and write an interface to get thousands of us back up and running. UD?

The Hub2 (2245) appears to interface to Home Assistant.  Which is probably covered better on the reddit thread linked in this post than it will be on this forum.  UDI is working to acquire some PLMs.

2 hours ago, captrickr said:

1) Does anyone know if the new UD Polisy can use the PLM from Simplehomenet? Its labeled Model 5010N and has a USB cable connected to it.

2) Also noticed there is a guy on Ebay that will repair your PLM if you have a broken one.

3) Might be worth it for some "Smart Guy" to figure out how to redirect our Inseon Hubs and write an interface to get thousands of us back up and running. UD?

Just my random thoughts....

Here is the ZBPLM manual with all its specifications. Looks like their PLM made on a base 2412 PLM Main Board with added features. Like ZigBee. On their custom daughter board. The manual shows it has a serial port connector. The same as PLM with a RJ45 network style connection but used serial port signals. Since it has added things like RTC  and ZigBee. MrBill's thought are it not working make sense.

https://docs.smartenit.com/zbplm/zbplm_product-brief.pdf

The Smartenit EZIComm 5010K was their equivalent of the PLM. Had a $10 extra USB option. Was depending on the age. Built on a 2412 or 2413 base PLM board with their custom daughter board.

I have seen a few posts on using the 2442 HUB by adding a serial board to it in place of the original network board and one post on the 2445 HUB and using a serial port interface board

Thanks for the input that I received here, it helped me to understand how to solve my problem.  Unfortunately UD does not have a workable solution presently because the only Insteon PLM available for under $500 is USB based. I spent the last two days researching my options and decided to go with a competitor for the three homes that I manage. You can either go dedicated computer with their software or a hub. No cloud needed after initial setup. The Insteon plug in will even use the bricked insteon hub as the plm or you can use the usb insteon plm. It can do dimmers, thermostats and cameras along with many other brands of devices. Thanks again for the initial direction, its a shame that I could not solve the problem here. Hopefully this solution will be robust and a good experience. I am sure that the UD equipment is solid, just not what us orphaned Insteon refugees need right now.

George

Hi all,

Late to this party as thankfully I am not a hub user.

FWIW I thought something strange was going on as I was dealing with smarthome.com direct regarding a credit for a faulty Insteon product. After good communications they just went dead about 2 weeks ago. I think they've been laid off.

I knew Insteon as a product line was dead in the water. The writing has been on the wall for a long time....

Anyway good luck to those that are sinking. I can recommend UD, they are a great company.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Daveed said:

Time to move on guys.  There is a new interoperability standard coming online soon that’s supported by many major manufacturers.  This is likely the final nail to the insteon coffin.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/24/22994597/matter-delay-nanoleaf-essentials-eve-wemo

Let us know if it ever becomes a reality. Matter has only been three years now and still being thought out, apparently.

5 hours ago, Daveed said:

Time to move on guys.  There is a new interoperability standard coming online soon that’s supported by many major manufacturers.  This is likely the final nail to the insteon coffin.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/24/22994597/matter-delay-nanoleaf-essentials-eve-wemo

Matter isn't news, but it's delayed yet again...

Bottom line... so far Matter doesn't matter.

6 hours ago, Daveed said:

The final nail was when insteon shut down....no more products

Archived