Insteon HUB (2245) cloud servers shut down

MrBill

1 minute ago, kyderr said:

You can use the ISY that universal devices sells to bring back most and more functionality.  That is the route I am going.  Backwards compatibility is unlikely if someone buys the assets of insteon.  In my opinion, since they made no attempt to save the customer base before pulling the plugs. (Pun intended)

If, and only if, he can also find an affordable PLM.

Otherwise - go with a Policy when available and a ~$45 USB PLM from Ebay.

12 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

I wouldn't wait too long if you are going to go this route. Listing shows 228 sold, 42 in the last 24 hours alone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353621496562?hash=item52557bd2f2:g:nssAAOSwciphFce3

To folks new here and looking for a new hardware solution - that USB PLM will not work with an ISYxxx - it will only work with one of the Policys.

7 minutes ago, FloridaGary said:

Life is a lot easier if you do it my way.

1) tape off the back of the unit with some painters tape except the region of the repair.

2) Melt the solder with your iron from the back

3) Blast it away with an air compressor

4) Repeat on other terminal

5) The old will slide right out

6) Slide the new without trimming the leads, the air blast method leaves the hole virtually 100% free of solder so it goes in easy.

7) Solder it in using a spec of flux

8) Spin the extra wire around and back forth for a few seconds and it will snap off at the solder

9) remove tape, check for solder splatter and clean if needed, also clean with q tip and alcohol any flux residue.

Just now, FloridaGary said:

Thanks Teken. Good to see your posts again. You helped me a great deal back in 2012 when I was setting up my Insteon system. I also took your advice on a whole house surge protector that you also use. Always great advice. 

It's always a pleasure to see and help out a long time forum member and customer. Hope this message finds you and yours doing well! ? 

Can't believe its been a decade since you and I walked the Insteon path! ?

22 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

If you're asking about homeseer then you need to ask on their forum. This is for universal devices products only such as the isy994 or polisy

Appreciate the clarification. I believe someone posted that the usb device will work with Polisy 

4 minutes ago, FloridaGary said:

Appreciate the clarification. I believe someone posted that the usb device will work with Polisy 

There are 3 PLMs that will work with a Policy - the USB dongle is one of them. The other two are either very difficult to find, or folks are price gouging to the extreme for them.

6 minutes ago, FloridaGary said:

Just to clarify this a little more for those who have no reference as it relates to the USB PLM's. Customers are taking the 2413U and removing the top network interface card and swapping it with the old broken 2413S PLM.

This allows a quick two minute swap with no soldering / capacitor replacement.

Those who can't find a 2413U PLM have repaired their defective 2413S PLM via capacitor replacement.

Lastly, customers have purchased the 2448A7 USB dongle to integrate it with the current Polisy Pro. It should be noted prior to the Polisy Pro supporting the 2448A7 USB dongle one of our esteemed forum member provided a *How To* to integrate the USB dongle with a ISY-994 Series Controller . . . ?  

1 minute ago, Teken said:

Lastly, customers have purchased the 2448A7 USB dongle to integrate it with the current Polisy Pro. It should be noted prior to the Polisy Pro supporting the 2448A7 USB dongle one of our esteemed forum member provided a *How To* to integrate the USB dongle with a ISY-994 Series Controller . . . ?  

I had no idea - never saw that. Great info as always sir!

3 minutes ago, Athlon said:

I had no idea - never saw that. Great info as always sir!

Yes, when the member (Mr.Worf?) came out with this terrific hack it opened the doors for a lot of folks who were in a (2413S PLM) jam. As there are cases where replacing the capacitors does not fix the unit at all. 

I guess I bricked mine. It quit working yesterday evening and I tried a reset as I've always had to do every other month. 

What other hub can work with the Insteon and the NSA Spy {aka Amazon Echo}, or am I just screwed?

Thanks,

Lew

4 minutes ago, n0kjf said:

I guess I bricked mine. It quit working yesterday evening and I tried a reset as I've always had to do every other month. 

What other hub can work with the Insteon and the NSA Spy {aka Amazon Echo}, or am I just screwed?

Thanks,

Lew

Are you asking about a Insteon HUB or a 3rd party controller? If its a Insteon HUB it makes no difference if you purchase a new / old one as the Insteon servers are shut down. If on the other hand you want a controller that will provide you even more control and integration:

https://www.universal-devices.com/#powerful

I too am glad I found this forum. My hub went dead last night (had a "dread" feeling it wasn't good).

I want to confirm what a RESET entails?  -- Hope I didn't do it --  I did push the SET button -> flashing green light -> solid red light. I did to diagnostics (2 quick SET button pushes then 1 quick push) -> items 4 and 5 gave double beeps = server connections down, duh! (per insteon's website). On the website, there's a clickable link to check for server issues:  "All Services Online. There are currently no known issues affecting Insteon services." (Yea, except that we've shut down completely!).

I'm tech enough to go the ISY/PLM route if I had a step by step guide. That would be a great help. Thanks to forum members for all the valuable info.

I'm an engineer, I just noticed that all of my Insteon devices are no longer functioning thru Alexa today, the hub had a red light last night, but I've seen that before.  I usually just power cycle it and it's back...OH NO, CRAP!.  The whole of Insteon seemed to be dying for quite some time, the customer service number is "busy", or I get an error message when calling it.  Total BS.  I'm tired of dealing with the dang hub anyway, I've had to replace it twice after it smoked.  I'm moving to TP-Link Kasa switches for everything, cheaper than actually buying a new hub.  The hub was an irritation anyway and I will eliminate something else I have to deal with.  This does require me replacing all the Insteon switches, but hey, they are not going to work automated anymore anyway, manually yes.  I'm not telling anyone to buy the TP-Link switches that's just the route I'm going, the hub was an irritation, quirky and smelled of something getting too hot all the time, further, the idea of maintaining a server to manage these smart home things might have sounded like a good idea years ago, but it does not make sense now, Wifi is the way to go, build the smarts in apps.    

If the owners of the server software (Nokia?) would charge a minimum subscription service to keep the server software running, I think this would be reasonable solution to get it back online.  The Insteon system is very reliable, and I hate moving away from it.

15 minutes ago, RocketCityRVer said:

I'm not telling anyone to buy the TP-Link switches that's just the route I'm going, the hub was an irritation, quirky and smelled of something getting too hot all the time, further, the idea of maintaining a server to manage these smart home things might have sounded like a good idea years ago, but it does not make sense now, Wifi is the way to go, build the smarts in apps.    

As long as the TP-Link switches are true rockers (not toggles) and have some sort of direct association so virtual 3-way circuits keep working when connection to the Internet is lost then I would say go for it.

5 minutes ago, Rabbit910 said:

If the owners of the server software (Nokia?) would charge a minimum subscription service to keep the server software running, I think this would be reasonable solution to get it back online.  The Insteon system is very reliable, and I hate moving away from it.

Nokia has no relations to what is happening to Insteon - None. Smartlabs purchased the rights to use the Nokia name for Home Automation using the core Insteon dual band technology and protocol.

Archived