Former Inste-Off Customer looking for Door Sensor recommendations

JeffM

Sigh, with Insteon.  I loved the door sensors.  Of all the features, I used this the most.  I could watch the comings and goings of everyone in my house and it was a good self-security monitoring system.

Is there any off the shelf brand anyone would recommend specifically for door sensors?  I have some Alexa products.  

Welcome to the forum.  There are multiple door sensors available on Amazon that are compatible with Alexa.  I have used the Tuya/SmartLife ones with Alexa routines successfully but the others that claim alexa compatibility probably work too.  You will find they are a lot slower to respond 5-10 seconds range because they are WiFi based.

If you want to keep using your Insteon sensors it is possible but it's a journey with some hurdles.  There are multiple posts going right now that are trying to help people like you make a transition to a different control system.  I'm assuming you were using an Insteon hub.

This is just one example:

1 hour ago, tmorse305 said:

Welcome to the forum.  There are multiple door sensors available on Amazon that are compatible with Alexa.  I have used the Tuya/SmartLife ones with Alexa routines successfully but the others that claim alexa compatibility probably work too.  You will find they are a lot slower to respond 5-10 seconds range because they are WiFi based.

If you want to keep using your Insteon sensors it is possible but it's a journey with some hurdles.  There are multiple posts going right now that are trying to help people like you make a transition to a different control system.  I'm assuming you were using an Insteon hub.

This is just one example:

Thanks! Yes Insteon hub.  Would I get the push notifications with the ISY Series Controller too

I forgot about wifi issues in my old plaster walled house too.  Man, is there no other system as simple and effective as insteon used to be?

I've been running my system for 8 years now.  I don't have a lot, but what I do (did) have I loved.  It was so simple.  I like many others have said, recommend the system to all kinds of folks.

When I was in Japan, I would get push notifications and could check on the person house siting for us!

Yes, push notifications are possible within the ISY environment.  If you want to pursue an ISY solution then you going going to need to buy 2 pieces of hardware in order to get started.  From UDI you need to buy a controller, I would recommend the polisy unit as it is the latest generation and offers the most flexibility for the next piece of hardware, the PLM.  The PLM is an Insteon device that allows polisy to talk to your Insteon network.  The PLM is obviously no longer made so you are going to have to go to eBay to find one.  Brace yourself on pricing, it is going to cost you hundreds of dollars to get one.  There are 3 models of PLM that are compatible with polisy, 2413U, 2413S, and 2448A7.  polisy maybe hard to get initially as people scramble to replace their Insteon Hub but they are still in production at least.  The PLM is the challenge for anyone trying to make the switch to ISY,

10 hours ago, tmorse305 said:

Yes, push notifications are possible within the ISY environment.  If you want to pursue an ISY solution then you going going to need to buy 2 pieces of hardware in order to get started.  From UDI you need to buy a controller, I would recommend the polisy unit as it is the latest generation and offers the most flexibility for the next piece of hardware, the PLM.  The PLM is an Insteon device that allows polisy to talk to your Insteon network.  The PLM is obviously no longer made so you are going to have to go to eBay to find one.  Brace yourself on pricing, it is going to cost you hundreds of dollars to get one.  There are 3 models of PLM that are compatible with polisy, 2413U, 2413S, and 2448A7.  polisy maybe hard to get initially as people scramble to replace their Insteon Hub but they are still in production at least.  The PLM is the challenge for anyone trying to make the switch to ISY,

Geez, at that price, I might as well switch to Ring Alarm.  I loved the simplicity of Insteon and Ring seems like it offers similar features.  At least with push notifications for open close sensors.

45 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Geez, at that price, I might as well switch to Ring Alarm.  I loved the simplicity of Insteon and Ring seems like it offers similar features.  At least with push notifications for open close sensors.

The best setup depends on your needs and how you want things handled. 

Since you stated you already have INSTEON and you're asking on this forum, people will naturally push you towards a setup that allows you to use universal devices products and integrate your current INSTEON products. 

If you only want notifications from your sensors and don't care to integrate them in such a way that also turns lights on/off etc. then any cheap wifi sensor would work for you and most can be added to your Alexa. 

1 minute ago, upstatemike said:

there's also a plethora of open/close sensors (surface mount) on ebay for a slightly better price.  

(the hidden door sensor is however scarce and commanding higher auction prices on ebay.)

So I've bough the geeni garage door opener and so far so good.  They have some siimilar products as Insteon had for my small usage and work with Alexa too.

https://mygeeni.com/collections/all?brand=Geeni&page=2

I'm not jumping through hoops to get Insteon working.  Honestly, it still controls some things left up and running and that is how it will stay until I replace it all.

Archived