Insteon 2413S Bad?

I pulled out my isy plm setup and got it working last couple of days, until disaster, we had a sudden loss of power and recovery.  I think my plm died.  The light on it is solid green. ISY says its in safe mode when opening admin console.  It had been sitting for a couple of years.  Is there a test or more info on how to repair if indeed it is bad?  I think i have seen instructions on replacing caps and I may try that, but the green light is on.  I'm one of those that went through several steps when the insteon server went down, that led to factory resetting my hub, I think, so don't think the HA route will help any at this point.  I do have an old 2412N but not sure if I can use it either, i know it won't work with isy.

36 minutes ago, dblee1950 said:

I pulled out my isy plm setup and got it working last couple of days, until disaster, we had a sudden loss of power and recovery.  I think my plm died.  The light on it is solid green. ISY says its in safe mode when opening admin console.  It had been sitting for a couple of years.  Is there a test or more info on how to repair if indeed it is bad?  I think i have seen instructions on replacing caps and I may try that, but the green light is on.  I'm one of those that went through several steps when the insteon server went down, that led to factory resetting my hub, I think, so don't think the HA route will help any at this point.  I do have an old 2412N but not sure if I can use it either, i know it won't work with isy.

What port do you have your PLM plugged into? Make sure it is port A. 

Try factory resetting the PLM. Make sure isy is unplugged until the PLM is finished factory resetting and powered back on. Then power on the isy. Try a different cable as well

3 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

What port do you have your PLM plugged into? Make sure it is port A. 

Try factory resetting the PLM. Make sure isy is unplugged until the PLM is finished factory resetting and powered back on. Then power on the isy. Try a different cable as well

The plm was pluged into the A port.  I did factory reset a couple of times.  Only thing I noticed was as soon as plm powered back on, the green light came back on solid.  I tried different cables, ports etc. plm status on isy was no connection as i recall.  I've taken the plm apart in preparation for capacitor change as I have nothing left to try.   

The 2412S PLM was the originally used PLM before the 2413S was developed.

It provides about +18 VDC on the serial cable and the ISY994i could be powered by it and not need the wall wart. Taking the F1 fuse off of the daughter board can be done if you don't want to use that power source.The 2412S had two link database sizes. 417 or ~2000 links. Link memory was slower than a 2413S so things starred to get missed at around 800 links. I am not sure if the 2412S would work with the latest ISY994i firmware as I never tied one.

I have also seen something on the now gone Smarthome Forums. Some 2413S units had serial port chip issues and a better chip was in V2.3 and a completely updated serial board with protection on the serial signals at V2.4

Do the  LEDs on the front or network ports give you any information?

2 hours ago, Brian H said:

The 2412S PLM was the originally used PLM before the 2413S was developed.

It provides about +18 VDC on the serial cable and the ISY994i could be powered by it and not need the wall wart. Taking the F1 fuse off of the daughter board can be done if you don't want to use that power source.The 2412S had two link database sizes. 417 or ~2000 links. Link memory was slower than a 2413S so things starred to get missed at around 800 links. I am not sure if the 2412S would work with the latest ISY994i firmware as I never tied one.

I have also seen something on the now gone Smarthome Forums. Some 2413S units had serial port chip issues and a better chip was in V2.3 and a completely updated serial board with protection on the serial signals at V2.4

Do the  LEDs on the front or network ports give you any information?

I have the plm apart currently, but, i'm sure you know there is only the one led on the plm and it lights green as soon as pluged in  As far as the isy, as I recall, it only showed power on and rx lights.  There may have been flickering lights on network switch where isy was connected but I didn't note that.  I've ordered a set of capacitors and will try swapping out those when they come it, but not sure that will fix plm's troubles.  Are you saying I could use the 2412N with isy?  If so, what would need to be done, ie. disconnect a fuse inside?  thanks  if this could be done, it would verify the plm, 2413S is bad, may allow use of the 2412 until it goes.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:53 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

Home assistant forum is the best place to ask this question. Its their software

Just an update, my capacitors came in today, so I swapped them out.  It was kinda ugly, I haven't done any circuit board soldering in many years, but I got through it and cleaned up the board.  Didn't expect much as my led light was on before. Plugged in the plm to the isy powered up the plm and then the isy.  It's working!  Don't know how long, but for now things are up.  I've also got a RP coming in and will look at transitioning to  HA as I don't have the highest confidence in my work or the plm, lol.  thanks to this and other boards covering these topics.

Glad you got it running again.

If yours has the larger capacitors used to try and fix the power supply problems. The capacitors where physically too large to fit the hole pattern  So they where mounted parallel to the board and long leads from the capacitors where bent to fit the hole patterns. Sometimes even a spot of component glue to keep them in place.

2 hours ago, Brian H said:

Glad you got it running again.

If yours has the larger capacitors used to try and fix the power supply problems. The capacitors where physically too large to fit the hole pattern  So they where mounted parallel to the board and long leads from the capacitors where bent to fit the hole patterns. Sometimes even a spot of component glue to keep them in place.

I think mine did have some higher V caps, but they fit in the housing normally.  All is not well today, isy report the green 1011 on every divice, I have no battery operated devices.  trying to turn a device on with isy is sporatic, but alexa controls work and the portal seems to work but again, not reliable.  I suspect the plm is struggling.  don't know if reseting isy/plm is worth it but may try that tonight

Archived