Connecting a WaterCop shutoff valve to the Elk M1

Bumbershoot

Greetings, Elk experts.

Currently, I have a WaterCop Z-Wave water shutoff valve that works just fine with the ISY.  Unfortunately, it's located in the crawl space of the house, which makes it difficult should it ever need to be included/excluded from a Z-Wave network.

I'm considering on buying a new WaterCop outdoor module (which would mean swapping out the actuator module only, no plumbers necessary), and I'd like to hardwire that to my Elk security system, so I could continue to monitor it with the IoP.  The interface to the WaterCop actuator is Cat5e.  I'm wondering if it's reasonable/possible to connect that to my Elk. 

Attached is the wiring diagram/pin out for the cable from the actuator.  I'm not an expert with this sort of thing, but it seems that it should be possible to make this work.  Any advice would be appreciated.

WaterCop RJ45 INTERFACE (08-18-11).pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly looks like it would work with Elk relays to open and close.  If you want to monitor the status would need to look into that as it looks like it might put voltage on those lines and they aren't dry contacts?  Would also want to make a rule in the Elk that turns the relay off after 1-3 seconds as they mention (which can be done using a phantom relay and I can look that up again if needed).  Would be important to know also what happens if it gets a close signal when it's already closed or an open when already open.  Does the watercop handle that?  Or do you need to monitor the status and create your own logic to prevent that situation? 

One caveat - make sure that your pinout matches the color coding!  It appears they're using T568B, so if you are cutting an existing cable make sure that's what you use.  Ultimately, make sure that your wiring matches where it should go, not just the colors.

Archived