Setpoint Up/Down in Auto

gregkinney

If I'm in auto mode, and I change the setpoint down or up, it only changes the heat setpoint. Is this the way it is supposed to act? My goal would be that a setpoint change in auto mode would change both the heat and cool setpoint.

1 hour ago, gregkinney said:

Is this the way it is supposed to act?

From the actual thermostat, when I put my thermostat in Auto the heat and cool setpoints are still set independently.  I would expect the same behavior from the Node Server.  Each setpoint would to be set individually.  However, I think you're right there might be a bug here.  In Auto the Setpoint Up and Setpoint Down controls only effect the heat set point.  If you put the thermostat in Cool the Setpoint controls still only control the heat set point.  @JimboAutomatesyou should weigh in on this.

Added issue: https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc-PG3/udi-poly-ecobee/issues/2

Yes, that portion of the code was never really hashed out on how it should work.  The ecobee doesn't have an API command for setpoint up/down and the node server was written so you could do a DIM/BRT just like you do on a light, so it tried to guess what you wanted.  I think most of that code existed before I took over the node server.  I'm not sure how useful that is in reality.

Looking at the code, When in auto or heat the BRT/DIM affects the heat setpoint, otherwise it affects the cool setpoint.  But that doesn't match what @tmorse305 stated.  You think there should be a seperate cool and heat setpoint up/down commands?  So 4 commands instead of the current 2.

@tmorse305 is correct that in actual thermostat (or app), it doesn't adjust heat and cool if you are in auto. But we have to acknowledge an important difference here - if you are on the thermostat, you are working with a GUI where you are dragging a graphic up or down with your finger. If you drag the cool number with your finger, that's the only one it adjusts, and vice versa.

In my opinion, it's apples and oranges to compare Ecobee's GUI thermostat where the option is dragging a graphic with your finger, to UDI's admin or API where the command is a simple "Setpoint Up" or "Setpoint Down."

Ecobee's drag is dynamic where UDI's button is static (once the options are set). So if I go to turn the temperature down in Ecobee and I am in Heat mode, the GUI has looked to see that I am in heat mode and it has delivered me the orange graphic for me to drag, effectively forcing me to adjust the heat. Vice versa with cool. With auto, it shows me both graphics and lets me choose which one to drag and that's the only one it adjusts.

So in my opinion, UDI can do the same logical learning and deliver it to me. If I am in heat mode and I hit the "setpoint down" button, it should force the change to be in heat. Vice versa for cool. For auto, I was previously using Ecolink, and his logic was to adjust both cool and heat respectively up or down. 

That would create 3 commands, which would be my personal preference. However, I could see the argument for 4 preferences. Instead of auto changing both setpoints, you would then have separate cool and heat setpoint up and setpoint down in which you would have to make an additional decision as an end user every time you wanted to adjust the temp in auto mode. It puts more work on the end user IMO, which I steer away from.

2 hours ago, JimboAutomates said:

But that doesn't match what @tmorse305 stated. 

Hi @JimboAutomates, I just double checked and when I'm in 'cool' the setpoint up/down controls in the AC on the ecobee node adjust the heat setpoint not the cool.

3 vs 4 commands, I don't really have a preference as I don't use 'auto'.   Either way you choose the other method could be accomplished programmatically.

Archived