Ecolink Chime/Alarm (review)

oskrypuch

I was looking for a replacement for my venerable X-10 ding-donger that has been working for some twenty years, happened on a good one that does much more.

Ecolink ISZW7-ECO
Z-Wave 700 series

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/4000?selectedFrequencyId=2

Ecolink unit arrived, added into the system, set up with four nodes, only one is required.

Simple to work, you can trigger the sound directly, or set a sound as default, and play the default. You can alter the volume each time, or use the default setting. Besides the chimes there are some voice notes and there are also Alarms included. The alarms run much louder, their high volume is locked by default, but that can be unlocked and adjusted as well.

This is from my sandbox, just shows how to use it.

chime - [ID 0004][Parent 006A]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Repeat 2 times
           Set 'inside / ZW 014 Sound Switch' Volume 100%
           Set 'inside / ZW 014 Sound Switch' On with Tone 28
           Wait  9 seconds

Else
        Set 'inside / ZW 014 Sound Switch' Default Tone 5
        Set 'inside / ZW 014 Sound Switch' On with default tone

Note that they have changed the 30 included chimes, voice callouts and alarms, and as well the number labels for these have changed. That is all listed in the little booklet that comes in the box, don't throw it out.

You can add another 100 or so .WAV files on an SD card if you wish.

Two thumbs up!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have replaced two alerts, and will add some more.

ding Garage - [ID 001E][Parent 0005]

If

Then
        Repeat 2 times
           Set 'inside / ZW 014 Sound Switch' On with Tone 2
           Wait  1 second
           Set 'inside / ZW 014 Sound Switch' On with Tone 24
           Wait  2 seconds

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

ding front motion - [ID 0037][Parent 0005]

If

Then
        Set 'inside / ZW 014 Sound Switch' On with Tone 28

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

No, I haven't. Seems pretty straightforward, you use a particular format for the file name so it can recognize the file.

You can both add to the sound set, and you can replace the sound that is played for the default 0 - 30 labeled standard sounds.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have access to so many sounds (instead of just the X10 ding-dong), I am finding that sound commands can collide reaching the unit. For example the outside motion sound, and the garage opening sound, commonly do so.

So I modified all of my chime programs to wait for any other chime programs that are running to finish, so they only go one at a time. The logic construct is the same for each, below is one example chime program.

This one goes chime, chime, "Garage", twice, and is executed when a garage door opens.

ding garagex2 - [ID 001E][Parent 0005]

If
        $ding_busy <= 0

Then
        $ding_busy  = 30
        Repeat 2 times
           Set 'inside / ZW 014 Sound Switch' On with Tone 12
           Wait  3 seconds
           Set 'inside / ZW 014 Sound Switch' On with Tone 24
           Wait  3 seconds
        Repeat 1 times
           $ding_busy  = 0

Else
        Wait  1 second
        $ding_busy -= 1
        Run Program 'ding garagex2' (If)

$ding_busy is a semaphore/counter that allows a chime program to have exclusive control, but only for a maximum of 30 seconds. (prevents an infinite wait loop in all cases)

Each chime program checks for the counter to be 0, and if it is, then takes control of access to the sound device by setting the counter to 30.

If a chime program finds the counter not 0, it executes its ELSE clause, and decrements the counter each second. Typically it will be handed control before the 30 sec timeout when some other chime program releases/sets the counter to 0. But in any case, it will be able to take control of the device in no more than 30 seconds.

I use <= 0, in case the counter got decremented to -1 or less.

The Repeat 1 times statement allows me to add a wait statement at the end of the THEN clause, this is executed after the prior Repeat 2 times loop, and is executed only once.

Tidy, and simple. I could add another semaphore to handle a third simultaneous chime request gracefully, but that is very unlikely to happen.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

I added a MicroSD card to the Ecolink and added numerous custom messages. It works like a charm. The audio level, which is somewhat on the low side when using the preprogrammed tones, is much louder with the custom .wav files.

I used the Audacity app to record the messages.

Unfortunately, there appears to be no manufacturer support for this product. Their phones are disconnected and there was no reply to my emails, all that aside I would still recommend it.

• Like 1

Aeotec has a somewhat similar device, but it is focused on being a doorbell, has a remote button. Also, it is only 500 series. It is portable (not important for me) and uses a wall wart (less desirable for me). It has preloaded sounds, but does not allow for custom audio clips, and not sure if you can play them without actually using the doorbell.

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000202226-doorbell-6-user-guide-

IAC, the Aeotec was not a good fit for me.

So I went for the Ecolink. Didn't know anything about the company support issues at the time. Hopefully it just keeps on working -- like my old X10 Ding-Donger!

Quite pleased with it so far.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

I had a 1gb card laying around so that's what I'm using. You really don't need anything larger as my WAV files are about 50kb, so the card has more than enough room.

The WAV files need to be recorded in MONO, at 8000Hz. Nothing else special. Audacity, which is free open source, supports Windows and Mac. I'm using it with a good quality external microphone.

I found the prerecorded sounds that came with the Ecolink to be mostly subpar, and as I mentioned earlier the output volume on the custom WAV files that I recorded is higher than the prerecorded files.

The configuration page on the Polisy for the Ecolink is a bit quirky but that's not really an issue as it works flawlessly from within a program.

Edited by Techman
  • Like 1

Does anyone know of an on-line site that can be used to create audio clips via text-to-speech messages for playback on this device?  I discovered this: http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/ on some guys website discussing the Aeon Doorbell https://darwinsden.com/audio-clips-for-smart-home-automation-systems/ but the site doesn't work for me - the file is never accessible

2 hours ago, JTsao said:

Does anyone know of an on-line site that can be used to create audio clips via text-to-speech messages for playback on this device?  I discovered this: http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/ on some guys website discussing the Aeon Doorbell https://darwinsden.com/audio-clips-for-smart-home-automation-systems/ but the site doesn't work for me - the file is never accessible

Being that the Ecolink requires MONO, 8000hz in a WAV format  I think you'll need to use an sound editor to create the custom files. 

22 hours ago, Techman said:

The configuration page on the Polisy for the Ecolink is a bit quirky but that's not really an issue as it works flawlessly from within a program.

That seems to generally be the case, with anything Z-Wave. Or perhaps it is just me, learning a new modality.

[thread drift]

I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to set a default max illumination and ramp rate on a Zen72. Finally realized I couldn't use the admin page (like for Insteon), but had to use configuration commands.

Even then, I'm not able to set a high illumination setting (below 100%) and an up ramp rate, need to use explicit commands in ISY. I can set a default down ramp rate, because it just goes to 0, so no need to set a level.

I'm going to have another look at that, and fiddle a bit more, just wanted to get that one switch in as one 2476 had failed.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, oskrypuch said:

Tricky finding a 2Gb SD card these days, just looking to do this now. A lot of them are 8Gb reformatted to smaller capacity, and may not be addressable by the Ecolink unit.

* Orest

Take a look at Amazon, their cup runneth over with them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=2gb+sd+card&crid=2ZG6OSRUWTC0K&sprefix=2gb+sd+card%2Caps%2C127&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:48 PM, Techman said:

Being that the Ecolink requires MONO, 8000hz in a WAV format  I think you'll need to use an sound editor to create the custom files. 

@TechmanI am trying to get this set up, without luck.

I added wave files to a 2Gb card, started it with a number of 31 or higher. Inserted the card, the light flickers on the Ecolink. But I have no way of running that sound from the ISY admin, the numbers appear hard coded to only go to 30.

So, I renamed the file as 1xxxxx.wav, still no go, then just 1.wav, doesn't replace/play when I try sound #1.

And, now I notice that you say 8KHz? The doc that comes with it says 16KHz??

It is 16 bit PCM. (using Audacity).

I'll try 8KHz.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

Tried something else, renamed the file to start with a leading zero ...

01 my tone.wav

That CHANGED what was being played (replacing the default), but the tone (sampling rate) was way off.

I'm getting closer, but not there yet.

But, looks like we can only replace the default sounds with the current ISY set up.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

[list expanded/corrected downthread]

OK, that was the secret sauce.

• 8Khz sampling (contrary to the docs!)
  • 16bit PCM
  • WAV file must start with a two digit number, so requires a leading zero for <=9
  • may require a following space
  • can only substitute for the default 30 sounds, as far as I can figure.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch

If you're still having issues, unplug the Ecolink from the AC power then plug it back in.  

I've added, and numbered, my custom sounds 31 to 42 and also overwrote some of the default sounds. Mine works without any issues using the following:

Supported Sound Files
File Extension:  .wav
Channels: - Mono
Sample Rate  8 kHz
Sample 16-bit PCM

@Techman

I have power cycled it a few times.

My one issue was not having a two digit number for the 1 to 9 sounds, but no idea why I can't get the custom sounds to get recognized.

In one instance, after adding another WAV file, it went back to the default sounds. I tried power cycling, didn't matter.

I then pulled the card, deleted all the files on it, and recopied ALL of the WAV files back. Then it worked again. Odd. Maybe I will try adding a custom numbered sound, but first delete all the files on the card, and re-add all of them together, including the new custom numbered sound.

Could be something funky with the SD card as well.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch