2 new feature requests for PG3, Emporia Vue2 and CAI WebControl 8 Node Servers

2 hours ago, bpwwer said:

1.0.18 in the store now. 

@bpwwer, I loaded the 1.0.18 but I'm afraid the plugs still report false.  Also the KWatt values being reported on the Vue zones are way off.  For example my water heater is drawing about 450W but the AC is reporting 28KW.  For some reason I'm getting an error trying to upload the log file.  Maybe too big?  I'll just send since the restart

Screenshot 2022-09-07 191556.jpg

Log from last boot.txt

Edited by tmorse305
Log file now set to Debug

Yeah, did some testing and see strange values as well.  I'm comparing mine with what the App displays and the node server seems to mostly follow the same trend as the app but not always.  Sometimes the values are way different.

The change was instead of querying for 1 seconds worth of data I'm querying for 1 minutes worth of data.  So I would expect the 1 minute average to make the transitions in demand a lot less sharp, but not to be so far off.  

I changed back to the 1 second queries but only do the query every 5 seconds and now the node server matches exactly what the app is reporting.  So I'll change it back to the 1 second query.   Then you have the flexibility to set the shortPoll interval to whatever time frame will work for your trigger needs.

I'm still confused as to what is going on with the outlets. @tmorse305's log shows the query results only seem to hold one device.  But @Kevin's log has both devices in the query results.    

Good thing the outlets are cheap.  I just ordered some that should arrive sometime tomorrow,  Then I should be able to debug what's going one.

• Like 2

@bpwwerI put in a ticket with UDI because I'm having trouble loading the log file for this node server and PG3. I don't know if it is related to this node server but my Polisy seems to be working hard where a reboot takes more than 30 minutes before it become stable but still can not view the log files in the browser window.

Thanks to Amazon I got some outlets this morning.    While everyone here has been extremely helpful, there's nothing like seeing the effects of my changes immediately and being able to make dozens of changes in a couple of hours.

Version 1.0.19 is now in the store, Refresh the store and restart to upgrade.

Fixed charger on/off

Changed charge rate to amps

Fixed outlet on/off

Outlets seem to be fully functional now, at least the one I've installed is.

Moved all the info log messages in the query code to debug log message.  You'll get a lot less log info running at info level now.

Default shortPoll is 10 seconds.  This seems to give a reasonable update frequency while not hammering the cloud services too much.

Default longPoll is 3600 seconds (1 hour). this is used to update the daily and monthly values.

Hourly values are updated every 10 shortPoll intervals (so every 100 seconds with the default)

Depending on how you plan to use the the current value to trigger automations, you should adjust the shortPoll up or down.

There are changes in the profile files so you'll have to restart the admin console to get it updated with the changes AFTER restarting the node server. 

• Like 2

Now that I think it's mostly functional, I've been looking a couple of the less critical things.

1) I added support for runtime discovery.  I've enabled the discovery button on the node server details page and that will re-run the discovery process.  You can use this when you add new devices instead of having to re-start.

2) The outlet and charger status is current set to either 1 or 0 for On or Off.  However, many devices use 100 and 0  where this is the on-level 0% or 100%. Switching to this may make the outlets play better in ISY scenes.  Any thoughts, concerns?

3) I've been looking into the balance and totalusage channels.  When using the API to query for information about the devices it does not return any info to suggest that the balance or totalusage channels exist, however when querying for device power usage, it does return power usage information for those channels.  Currently, I throw an error message, but I could instead create a node for them when I first see them in the usage data.  Again, thoughts?

4) The query buttons don't currently do anything.  I'm looking into implementing this.

Anything else I missed?

Hi @bpwwer, You definitely made progress, thank you so much for your perseverance!

I must be doing something wrong though. The nodes show up for the plugs, but there is no data for the plugs, data for all 16 sensors looks good. 

I installed 1.0.19 in a new slot, waited for all the nodes to install then brought up a fresh admin console browser.

I even reboot PG3 with no change. Attached logs which started out in "info" but changed to "debug" before restarting the node server. Hopefully it will have some useful info.

-Tim

10.JPG

11.JPG

VueTest_9-8-2022_25134_PM.zip

13 minutes ago, TJF1960 said:

Hi @bpwwer, You definitely made progress, thank you so much for your perseverance!

I must be doing something wrong though. The nodes show up for the plugs, but there is no data for the plugs, data for all 16 sensors looks good. 

I was concerned this would happen.  After I got my plugs this morning, I configured one, restarted the node server and it was working.  I didn't have to change any code.

When the node server queries for usage data, it does one query for all of the devices.  In your case, the response doesn't include any data for the plugs, in my case it does contain that data.

I just compared the model numbers and they're the same for both of ours so it's not that.

Are you sure the plugs are reporting data to the Emporia cloud?

The only other thing I can think of would be if the data being returned from the API has something in it that breaks the parser in the library so it fails to populate the usage. I can have it dump the actual response from the API and maybe that will tell us something.

Hi @bpwwer, I'm seeing the same result as @TJF1960 reported.  My plugs are reporting power via the Emporia app.

You can add plugs in 2 ways to the app, stand alone and include as part of one on the 16 circuits. Mine are part of the circuits.  I don't know how you set yours up, maybe that's a difference

Edit:  That's it!!  I made one of my plugs stand alone and it works.

VueTest_9-8-2022_84819_PM.zip

Screenshot 2022-09-08 205725.jpg

Edited by tmorse305
  • Like 1

Hi @tmorse305, I had the same thought, you beat me to it lol. I just came out to my workroom and reconfigured one of the switches, restarted the node server and boom, data reporting for the switch.

So I have noticed in the past, and I am sure you have too that when you associate the switch with one of the 16 sensors the emporia app takes the power used by the switch and reduces the branch sensor power by that amount (this is on the main page of the app where all sensor and power is visible). However if you go into the graph for the branch sensor the power reported in the graph is the true power of the branch sensor without regard to the switch power.

But in stand alone mode the branch sensor reports its full power it measures as does the switch without regard for each other.  I probably didn't explain this very well but I am hot and tired, lol. 

This functionality may be hard to adjust for in the node server..but I don't know.

Edited by TJF1960
5 hours ago, bpwwer said:

Now that I think it's mostly functional, I've been looking a couple of the less critical things.

1) I added support for runtime discovery.  I've enabled the discovery button on the node server details page and that will re-run the discovery process.  You can use this when you add new devices instead of having to re-start.

2) The outlet and charger status is current set to either 1 or 0 for On or Off.  However, many devices use 100 and 0  where this is the on-level 0% or 100%. Switching to this may make the outlets play better in ISY scenes.  Any thoughts, concerns?

3) I've been looking into the balance and totalusage channels.  When using the API to query for information about the devices it does not return any info to suggest that the balance or totalusage channels exist, however when querying for device power usage, it does return power usage information for those channels.  Currently, I throw an error message, but I could instead create a node for them when I first see them in the usage data.  Again, thoughts?

4) The query buttons don't currently do anything.  I'm looking into implementing this.

Anything else I missed?

The good news is the charger turns on and off but the bad news is it does not set the charge rate now and the charge rate is still marked kw in the AC. It did not register anything in the AC but I did not run it long either to see if it would show up with one of the longer poll times but I can test that this weekend.

2) I feel on or off is good for the charger since there is a charge rate in the AC. I don't have any outlets but I would think what ever correspond to how most other devices of this type show up would be good.

3) I think totalusage might be useful for me trying to set the charger on or off and setting the charge rate since that shows positive or negative depending on the loads and amount of solar. The balance I rarely look at and can not really think of a use for it but it sounds like it would not add any extra data to just throw it in in case someone has a need for it.

Chargerate.png

Vuetest9-8.zip

15 hours ago, TJF1960 said:

Hi @tmorse305, I had the same thought, you beat me to it lol. I just came out to my workroom and reconfigured one of the switches, restarted the node server and boom, data reporting for the switch.

So I have noticed in the past, and I am sure you have too that when you associate the switch with one of the 16 sensors the emporia app takes the power used by the switch and reduces the branch sensor power by that amount (this is on the main page of the app where all sensor and power is visible). However if you go into the graph for the branch sensor the power reported in the graph is the true power of the branch sensor without regard to the switch power.

But in stand alone mode the branch sensor reports its full power it measures as does the switch without regard for each other.  I probably didn't explain this very well but I am hot and tired, lol. 

This functionality may be hard to adjust for in the node server..but I don't know.

The problem is that the Emporia API doesn't seem to provide any information about the outlet usage when you have it associated with a Vue2 sensor.  Nothing is coming back that says it's associated with the sensor channel and there's no data from the outlet.   Maybe I'm missing something or maybe the library I'm using doesn't expose it. But if the data's not there, I don't see any way the node server can handle that.

I will make a version that dumps the raw data coming back from the API so I can take a look.  If it's just something the library fails to expose or if I'm not looking at something I should then I can probably make something work.

Since I only have the Vue smartmeter device, I was able to associate an outlet with that. However, I still got individual usage data for the outlet. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, tazman said:

The good news is the charger turns on and off but the bad news is it does not set the charge rate now and the charge rate is still marked kw in the AC. It did not register anything in the AC but I did not run it long either to see if it would show up with one of the longer poll times but I can test that this weekend.

Vuetest9-8.zip 126 B · 0 downloads

I'll double check that I switched it to amps in all the right places and take a look at the reporting. I'll need to see the log where you attempt to change the charge rate, the file you attached here is zero bytes long.

4 hours ago, bpwwer said:

I'll double check that I switched it to amps in all the right places and take a look at the reporting. I'll need to see the log where you attempt to change the charge rate, the file you attached here is zero bytes long.

Sorry I did not save the log file before I zipped it. Thanks for all of your work on this.

Vuetest9-8.zip

Bob

I have not commented her because you 1.0.19 is working perfectly for me if you need anything from me just let me know in a post. If you here nothing from me then your latest up date has no problems that show up in my system.

Kevin

26 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Bob

I have not commented her because you 1.0.19 is working perfectly for me if you need anything from me just let me know in a post. If you here nothing from me then your latest up date has no problems that show up in my system.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.  Hopefully I won't break anything for you while I continue to try and get outlets and chargers working.

Bob,

Everything is working good but I did just notice in the log an error coming up with every short poll.

2022-09-10 06:17:40,423 Thread-9294 udi_interface ERROR vue:query: Node 136598_balance is missing!
2022-09-10 06:17:40,428 Thread-9294 udi_interface ERROR vue:query: Node 136723_totalus is missing!
2022-09-10 06:17:40,429 Thread-9294 udi_interface ERROR vue:query: Node 136723_balance is missing!
It might be nothing.

Kevin

VueTest_9-10-2022_61807_AM.zip

Edited by Kevin
6 hours ago, Kevin said:

Bob,

Everything is working good but I did just notice in the log an error coming up with every short poll.

2022-09-10 06:17:40,423 Thread-9294 udi_interface ERROR vue:query: Node 136598_balance is missing!
2022-09-10 06:17:40,428 Thread-9294 udi_interface ERROR vue:query: Node 136723_totalus is missing!
2022-09-10 06:17:40,429 Thread-9294 udi_interface ERROR vue:query: Node 136723_balance is missing!
It might be nothing.

Kevin

I mentioned this in a couple of posts above.   The initial query to get information about the devices doesn't return anything about the balance and totalusage changes so no nodes get created for them. But then when I do the queries for usage data, they show up. 

I can either continue to ignore them like I do now or I could create nodes for them the first time they show up in the usage data.  It wouldn't be much work to do, but is there value to doing so?

Bob,

Sorry I missed that in your post. The Total is the amount the hole panel is using. On my panel I have solar panels connected and you are giving me the Net use from the power company. The total is all my breakers added up except my solar panels. it can be done by a program in the isy. I myself do not use it but someone might. The balance is the diffrance between adding all the chanels and the main ct's. I use the app to look at this when I am working on it to see if one of my ct's is not working. Again I do not use it in the isy. I myself only use the node server to see if my house has lost power so I can turn off my AC in the house. By default I don't want the ac to run off generator unless it is getting realy hot and I make sure the rest of my load is low enough. Manly I just use there APP.

Kevin

Version 1.0.20 is now in the store.

fix the ev charger set rate.  

enabled user initiated discovery (button on dashboard)

enabled query buttons to actually do a queries for usage info.

attempt to handle nested devices. This may make non-standalone outlets report usage now

create balance and total usage channel nodes if they show up in the usage data

• Like 2

Awesome job @bpwwerTHANKS it looks like you have all of the features working for the charger now even though I see a "'dcharger' is not defined error" but it does not seem to affect anything for me. I attached a short section of my log for your nested device information even though I don't have any outlets in case there is any information that might be of any value for you.

Vuetest9-11.zip