Looking for no frills landscape lighting transformer for use with ISY/Insteon

raymondjiii

Given that I'll have ISY programs based on various events for turning on/off the exterior Insteon outlet that will power the landscape lighting transformer, I would like to purchase one has has basically nothing - maybe just a simple on/off switch. That is, no photo-sensor, no dial with on and off settings, no programmable buttons, etc.

I'm looking at various mfg's models and they all have terrible reliability ratings (Intermatic, Hampton Bays, etc). Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I have one transformer mounted under the eve of my house and that's simply powered by an Insteon On/Off switch running off an ISY program and it's been going good for 10+ years. I'm surprised that Intermatic/Malibu transformers are still available given that company no longer exists. I am not sure where the failures are in these various transformers that cause them to die - whether it's on the main power supply section or some auxiliary button panel. But maybe other people have had the same desire - a no frills landscape lighting transformer - and I would love to hear what brand/model you used.

I'm looking to put lights on the other side of the house and the transformer will be plugged into an Insteon outlet in a weather appropriate box. My existing transformer for the other side of the yard - won't reach this other side (the new side). There are too many concrete things to go under, it would be a long cable run, etc. A second weather proof transformer is way easier.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, kzboray said:

I've been using these for years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076FKN3RP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to plug a Outdoor On/Off module into them for control, ahh the good ole days. But the box itself is a tank and built to last for decades.

Damn!!!! That is a monster! It sure looks nice! I love how you can get 12V, 13V or 14V. For some reason when I measure the one I have I get 18VAC. That model sure is nice but it won't fit in the space I have for it. Thank you for your response though.

24 minutes ago, Brian H said:

Did you measure the voltage under load?

I know some transformers are higher under small or no loads

Yeah, I popped out a lightbulb and put the meter probes down the holes. I’d love to go look at it closer but it’s up on the roof, gotta get the ladder out (that’s a big project on its own.)

I do like the transformers that can sit directly on the ground - plastic rubber like frame. And with all of the LED bulbs now you don’t need nearly the wattage that you used to.

I also have landscaping lighting in my front/back yard totaling 23 lights. All running off of 3 small Intermatic Transformers and controlled by Insteon Outdoor On/Off Modules purchased 14 years ago. I purchased one additional backup transformer just in case, but have never had to replace the Intermatics, however I did replace 1 Outdoor On/Off Module. I never gave much thought about what I would replace them with, so I'll be following this thread for suggestions. One thing is for sure, I will not be using @kzboray 's solution. That is a beast and it will probably last until the next century! 

Volt lighting.  Low Voltage Transformers for Landscape Lighting | VOLT® Lighting (voltlighting.com)  I have three of their transformers with never a failure.  They offer a range of voltages in a single transformer to account for different run lengths.  They have a variety of control options but it happens that an Insteon on/off module fits inside the case plugged in to the outlet for the control options and the transformer can then be plugged into the on/off module making the whole setup completely waterproof.

Archived