Purchased NS wont show up in AC

jkraus

I had been using the KASA NS, worked fine.  I added a new device and it would not show up, so I uninstalled and reinstalled a purchased version.  It shows up fine in my IOP dashboard, even shows all of the nodes (devices) just fine, but it will not show up as a NS in the Admin Console.

I don't think this is specific to the KASA NS seems like I am missing something in general to get a NS to show up in the AC

Edited by jkraus

solved!  Michel helped me out (as usual), I had changed my AC password.  there were no visible signs it was not connected i,e, the NS showed connected etc., but that seems to be the issue.  I also had to un-install the NS and reinstall, so now fixed.

Edited by jkraus
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, jkraus said:

Michel helped me out (as usual), I had changed my AC password.

For general community information, do you have an idea of how he fixed this?  Did he just change the password back to what it was previously?  

If the password was changed on the ISY and PG3 was not updated with the new password, PG3 will report the errors in it's log (probably lots and lots of 401 (failed to authenticate) errors. 

You should just be able to update the ISY account info in PG3 under ISY -> Edit Current ISY.   If that didn't work, it's a bug.  There shouldn't be any need to restart anything let along delete and re-install.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

You should just be able to update the ISY account info in PG3 under ISY -> Edit Current ISY.   If that didn't work, it's a bug.  There shouldn't be any need to restart anything let along delete and re-install.

The reason I asked above is because I ran into this issue.  I changed the user/password in IoP, and PG3 became really cranky.  I changed the user/password on PG3 to match, but things didn't improve.  I changed the user/password in IoP and PG3 back to what they were originally, and things came back to life.

I just tested it myself and everything worked exactly like I expected.

Changed password on admin account using AC

Restarted AC to verify that I had to use the new password

PG3 was reporting lots of 401 (authentication failed errors) which is to be expected since it is still using the old password.

ISY -> edit current ISY, change password to new password and hit save

PG3 stops reporting errors and starts communicating properly with ISY.  All the node servers have continued to operate without any issues throughout this.

I'm not sure what @Michel Kohanimmeant, but the only reason to delete and reinstall a node server would be if you changed to a different ISY.  The node server doesn't know the ISY username or password so changing that will not effect the node server. (in general, there are some node servers that communicate directly with the ISY, those may need to restarted to get the new username/password)

There may be something else going on with this that I'm not aware of so I can't say for sure that an uninstall/re-install wasn't required, but just changing the ISY password does not require node servers to be uninstalled/re-installed.

@BumbershootIt sounds like there was something wrong with the credentials you entered in PG3.  Possibly not even your fault. I seem to remember there being certain restrictions on what could be entered for the ISY password so that maybe what you actually typed wasn't what it ended up being set to.   An example of this would be if the ISY limited the length of the password to 8 characters.  The AC knows this limit so it always truncates what you type to 8 characters.  PG3 doesn't so it would send the longer version and fail to authenticate.

8 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

@BumbershootIt sounds like there was something wrong with the credentials you entered in PG3.  Possibly not even your fault. I seem to remember there being certain restrictions on what could be entered for the ISY password so that maybe what you actually typed wasn't what it ended up being set to.   An example of this would be if the ISY limited the length of the password to 8 characters.  The AC knows this limit so it always truncates what you type to 8 characters.  PG3 doesn't so it would send the longer version and fail to authenticate.

I'll take another whack at this and report back.  The password was changed to one that I used successfully in the ISY994, and the username was changed to four letters, all lower case.

3 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

I'll take another whack at this and report back.  The password was changed to one that I used successfully in the ISY994, and the username was changed to four letters, all lower case.

That certainly seems legit.  Monitor the PG3 log after the update.  There should be a lot of 401 errors before you change it in PG3, but they should stop almost immediately after changing it.

yea, in my attempt at debugging I deleted the ISY and re-added it, that may have contributed to the problem, so since tryin a lot of things, I may have obfuscated the real problem I was having

Edited by jkraus

Okay, I changed username/password on the ISY, then changed the username/password (using the Profile tab to the same values as on IoP) on PG3.  PG3 logged me out and restarted.  Upon restart, and re-logging in using the new username/password values, I get what you see in the screenshot.  I see this in the log:

5/31/2022, 16:28:30 [pg3] error: Error: GET http://192.168.1.19:8080/rest/ns/5/nodes/n005_wh41_1/report/status/BATLVL/0/25 Failed :: 401
5/31/2022, 16:28:30 [pg3] error: Error: GET http://192.168.1.19:8080/rest/ns/5/nodes/n005_wh41_1/report/status/GV1/3.8/54 Failed :: 401

Also, strangely I can successfully log into PG3 using the old username/password, and the dashboard shows up, but values are not being updated in the IoP.  Changed the IoP username/password back to the original values, restarted PG3 and data is once again being updated in the IoP.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 4.24.18 PM.png

Edited by Bumbershoot

@Bumbershoot I think the problem is that you changed the wrong credentials in PG3.   You said:

24 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

Okay, I changed username/password on the ISY, then changed the username/password (using the Profile tab to the same values as on IoP) on PG3.  

The username/password on the Profile tab are the credentials that the UI will use to talk with the PG3 server side and aren't related to the ISY at all.  That exist to allow you to restrict who can run the PG3 UI.

The ISY credentials are under the ISYs menu by selecting the Edit Current ISY option.  That shows the ISY IP Address, port, username, and password.  The username/password here needs to match what you set the IOP username/password to.

@jkrausDeleting the ISY and re-adding could cause problems with existing node server installations.  That probably causes it to recreate security tokens so it ends up looking like a new ISY.  I don't believe I've had to delete an ISY and re-add it, at least not in a very long time so I'd have to dig through the code to see what that really does internally.

10 hours ago, bpwwer said:

The username/password on the Profile tab are the credentials that the UI will use to talk with the PG3 server side and aren't related to the ISY at all.  That exist to allow you to restrict who can run the PG3 UI.

The ISY credentials are under the ISYs menu by selecting the Edit Current ISY option.  That shows the ISY IP Address, port, username, and password.  The username/password here needs to match what you set the IOP username/password to.

Thank-you!  I mis-understood what the profile was for.  The name/password have been changed in both IoP and PG3 and all appears to be well.

I can understand the confusing.  For the record, I'd like to get rid of the profile/PG3 login screen and just rely on the Portal login to authenticate anything that needs to be authenticated.

The only real use case for the PG3 login seems to be if you expose PG3 externally and I have no idea if anyone would do that or not.

20 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

The only real use case for the PG3 login seems to be if you expose PG3 externally and I have no idea if anyone would do that or not.

I would hope that there are plans to expose PG3 through the portal.  Currently if I need to log into PG I need to connect to my home network via VPN.  Those who don't have a VPN server would probably just open ports and expose it.  It's not possible to assume that node servers will stay running and not need to be restarted.  If someone is on vacation they may need a method to reach their PG instance.

23 minutes ago, MrBill said:

I would hope that there are plans to expose PG3 through the portal.  Currently if I need to log into PG I need to connect to my home network via VPN.  Those who don't have a VPN server would probably just open ports and expose it.  It's not possible to assume that node servers will stay running and not need to be restarted.  If someone is on vacation they may need a method to reach their PG instance.

Good point. 

Right now, there are too many different logins.  It does need to be consolidated but that's going to take time.

And the goal is for it to be possible to assume that node servers will stay running, at least that's one of the goals I have for my node servers.  So for anyone that is having to restart node servers, please work with the node server author and let them know it is happening. It may be something simple that they can fix and make things more stable for you.  

I don't run a lot of node servers in my "production/home" setup, but I can't remember the last time I had to restart one.  Usually it is is because of a power outage and when everything restarts that things may need a restart.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

I don't run a lot of node servers in my "production/home" setup, but I can't remember the last time I had to restart one.  Usually it is is because of a power outage and when everything restarts that things may need a restart.

I don't restart them often either, but there always needs to be a plan. 

(I did need to login to PG2 from Mexico once earlier this year, but it turned out the node server was working, I just didn't think it was.)

Similar topic, I am unable to login in to PG3 from ISY Finder or the UD Admin Console.

I get the "401 Unauthorized" response.  Tried my supposed password, the ISY password, PG2 password, "admin" all with same result of no access.

I went through the credentials reset on the Polisy (press and hold button until LED 1 flashes), reset password in ISY & PG2, but still cannot access PG3.

Am I missing something?

Thank you