Insteon acquired and servers coming back up

AD8BC

2 hours ago, upstatemike said:

Even if the Nokia hubs were available the initial quantity produced must have been small so it doesn't sound like it would be a sustainable solution in any case.

It was never going to be a long term solution (about 2000). It was an "immediate" stopgap before the availability of PLM Pros. Regardless, it's not going to happen.

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 1

Too bad there's no confidence about PLM pro future.  I have several PLMs I would sell on Ebay to people who need them if I were confident that the PLM pro would be available in a reasonable period of time.  Insteon leadership should realize that there is benefit to them from releasing the hoarded PLMs that I and others have and firm up their plans and public commitment to the PLM pro. 

How soon we see the PLM Pro. Maybe dependent on if any of the part stock was in house when they started to go down south. Before the new crew took over and are trying to keep Insteon above water.

With the part shortages it could take awhile to even start a production run of the PLM Pro. If it was a priority but I got the impression it was not.

Have the new Insteon folks indicated anything about device availability? I have a few switches that have failed and would prefer to replace with same if possible and the timeframe is somewhat soon. I guess I could also cannibalize some other not as critical switches that are already installed and reinstall dumb switches.

I just tried sending that question to support@insteon.com, but I don't know if that goes anywhere or if anyone will respond :)

10 minutes ago, MrTinker said:

Have the new Insteon folks indicated anything about device availability? I have a few switches that have failed and would prefer to replace with same if possible and the timeframe is somewhat soon. I guess I could also cannibalize some other not as critical switches that are already installed and reinstall dumb switches.

I just tried sending that question to support@insteon.com, but I don't know if that goes anywhere or if anyone will respond :)

They will respond in time. No one here knows anything outside of their public updates which can be found on their website under their blogs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@MrTinker

The following was posted by Insteon on July28th. They have yet to offer any "on hand" inventory. Being that the products come from China I would assume that they're constrained by supply chain issues and disruptions in the factories.

-------------------------------------

We have great news to share! We expect to be able to take orders for on-hand inventory by mid-August. We are converting to a new e-commerce shopping platform that will give us improved functionality and we are currently working on that integration.

As a reminder, our on-hand inventory will be limited by product types - and limited availability on top of that. And as previously mentioned, we do have orders in process at our factories for additional units and a greater scope of product, but those are much longer lead times before they hit our warehouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/31/2022 at 4:38 PM, Techman said:

The following was posted by Insteon on July28th.

Ken's been silent for too long.  He should post an update every 2 or 3 weeks.  There may not be much to add, but he should at least say "Hi we are still working in this, here's a brief recapp of what's happaned lately and what we are working on in the weeks to come".   I just checked insteon.com and there truly has been no update since July 28th... forty days is too long for him to be silent.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Ken's been silent for too long.  He should post an update every 2 or 3 weeks.  There may not be much to add, but he should at least say "Hi we are still working in this, here's a brief recapp of what's happaned lately and what we are working on in the weeks to come".   I just checked insteon.com and there truly has been no update since July 28th... forty days is too long for him to be silent.

The more things change the more they stay the same...

• Like 1

Although the Insteon forums on their site not the Smarthome section. Is back online.

I can log on but any message I try and send is marked as unauthorized. This happened once before but their contact us tab goes unanswered and the mail box is full and can't hold more messages. To the management team.

I do know one of the Moderators contacted directly by Email.  I don't believe he can fix it and sounds like the present owners have not contacted him either.

Maybe they have more pressing issues but I guess for now their forums for me are gone. I am glad my spares bins still have extra modules in them.

Edited by Brian H
add things
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Brian H said:

Although the Insteon forums on their site not the Smarthome section. Is back online.

I can log on but any message I try and send is marked as unauthorized. This happened once before but their contact us tab goes unanswered and the mail box is full and can't hold more messages. To the management team.

I do know one of the Moderators contacted directly by Email.  I don't believe he can fix it and sounds like the present owners have not contacted him either.

Maybe they have more pressing issues but I guess for now their forums for me are gone. I am glad my spares bins still have extra modules in them.

Smarthome was purchased by someone else which may be why it's not back online

The long run for insteon doesn't look promising, My bet is it goes the way of X-10, even though my entire home is Insteon run by an UD994 Pro.  I had my fingers crossed for ReQuest.  I love that thing too.  The real problem is that none of these technologies crossed the chasm.  Amazon and Google money insured their products did it first. 

I think the sad truth is you can be completely closed system minded like Crestron or it needs to be open source. Its just another version of the Mac V PC fight. Yes my insteon leaves a light on from time to time but the whole system cost less than my entry keypad from Crestron.

My first "smart home" was HAI in 1999.  For a few years my company was a Crestron Dealer, but all of that went away in 2009.  I got lucky and made it out with my shirt.

Since I have an ELK M1 Gold, I may just keep expanding that and write my own interface for automation since theirs is pretty unimpressive.  Someday that may not work either.  At least Home Controls is still alive.

My bigger worry for the short term is that UDI web pages are starting to vanish or not be updated.  The phone number no longer works and the last post I can find is June 2021 from UDI?  The interesting thing is there are some 2022 copyright dates and other odd information are being updated on my icy portal page.

I have two open tickets, hoping for a response.  

12 minutes ago, KC10Brain said:

The long run for insteon doesn't look promising, My bet is it goes the way of X-10, even though my entire home is Insteon run by an UD994 Pro.  I had my fingers crossed for ReQuest.  I love that thing too.  The real problem is that none of these technologies crossed the chasm.  Amazon and Google money insured their products did it first. 

I think the sad truth is you can be completely closed system minded like Crestron or it needs to be open source. Its just another version of the Mac V PC fight. Yes my insteon leaves a light on from time to time but the whole system cost less than my entry keypad from Crestron.

My first "smart home" was HAI in 1999.  For a few years my company was a Crestron Dealer, but all of that went away in 2009.  I got lucky and made it out with my shirt.

Since I have an ELK M1 Gold, I may just keep expanding that and write my own interface for automation since theirs is pretty unimpressive.  Someday that may not work either.  At least Home Controls is still alive.

My bigger worry for the short term is that UDI web pages are starting to vanish or not be updated.  The phone number no longer works and the last post I can find is June 2021 from UDI?  The interesting thing is there are some 2022 copyright dates and other odd information are being updated on my icy portal page.

I have two open tickets, hoping for a response.  

What are you talking about? The information you've provided is completely false and without merit. It sounds more like you're trolling than actually posting true information. 

UDI has a constant presence on their own forums as well as their website. In fact Michel was on here earlier today. 

That is excellent to hear, but I have not been able to contact them (or Michael).  I look forward to hearing from them (him).

If you want to call it trolling because I am trying to catch up on the craziness, I'll take that hit.  None of the information provided is "False", some is my opinion.

The phone number on the UDI website answers with "Could not validate this request".
The latest update on the News section of UDI website is June 11, 2021
The latest Twitter update was the next day.

Saying that I am worried there may be some trouble at UDI as well given those observations, isn't false, it is my opinion.

I was in the high end AV and HA industry from 1990 - 2009, so maybe my ideas are outdated, but I'll stand by them.   I believe UDI has a future regardless of Insteon.  

Before I posted, I did in read through several sections of the forum, went to the wiki, and the firmware update pages to get 404 errors, page not found.  

I admit my system has been rock solid since the last time Micheal and I talked almost two years ago. It was a failed ELK wireless window sensor sent me down this rabbit hole.  Honestly I didn't even know that Smarthome/Insteon collapsed and Insteon is attempting to revive.  

It started out a bit exciting that there was a new possibly better version of UD Mobile v Mobilinq. I have both modules, so I swapped them and the trouble began.   I am sitting here trying to undo that now.

13 minutes ago, Techman said:

@KC10Brain

In addition to the above, X10 is alive and well.

Take a look at these two links for Insteon updates:

Blog — Insteon

Insteon

Hmm,  Ok Yes X-10 Pro still exists, and interestingly after a bankruptcy/shutdown/revival. So I'll agree I overstepped with that statement and retract it.  I'll change it to the opinion that X-10 hasn't grown with the industry so it is not the leader it was in the 1990's when I started in the HA business. 

As far as the insteon announcements and blog,  I hope it can pull the rabbit out of the hat and revive like X-10 appears to have done.  But keep in mind X-10 did come and go more than once.

I agree with several others that this isn't something that just turns on.  Supply chain development took years.  I'll disagree with a couple others about Ken.  I think brining back an insider that might be able to rebuild those relationships faster might be a good move.  As the wise man says "We'll see".  

Until then I am just trying to undo what I did that broke my system, and offer my apologies for appearing to "troll" the forum.  

Thank you for responding and keeping me in line and up to date.

1 hour ago, KC10Brain said:

Hmm,  Ok Yes X-10 Pro still exists, and interestingly after a bankruptcy/shutdown/revival. So I'll agree I overstepped with that statement and retract it.  I'll change it to the opinion that X-10 hasn't grown with the industry so it is not the leader it was in the 1990's when I started in the HA business. 

As far as the insteon announcements and blog,  I hope it can pull the rabbit out of the hat and revive like X-10 appears to have done.  But keep in mind X-10 did come and go more than once.

I agree with several others that this isn't something that just turns on.  Supply chain development took years.  I'll disagree with a couple others about Ken.  I think brining back an insider that might be able to rebuild those relationships faster might be a good move.  As the wise man says "We'll see".  

Until then I am just trying to undo what I did that broke my system, and offer my apologies for appearing to "troll" the forum.  

Thank you for responding and keeping me in line and up to date.

F.Y.I. X10 is still developing their product line. Their newer switches now support LED bulbs.

All the manufacturers are struggling with supply issues, and the factories in China, where most of these products are produced, have also been constrained with shutdowns due to Covid. We all just to have tread water until things get back to normal, which they will.

FWIW I didn't have much hope for a new PLM source and have been hoarding the last year or so. I now have a decent amount of pretty much all components I need including 5 spare working PLMs + 4 ISY's (2 sites). I should be good for a long while.

• Like 4

May I take this opportunity to plug an Insteon repair service here in Canada. No fix, no fee. If 2413 or 2412 fix the fee is $30CAD. It may even be useful for those in America although I have not discussed American clients. The guys name is Gil. He's fixed up 2x2413S and 2x2412S for me (yes I have some 2412's as backup!). He may even frequent this forum although I have not joined the dots.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/mississauga-peel-region/insteon-repair-service/1629894953

Edited by mango
typo
  • Like 1