Anyone use a light sensing device to trigger Insteon signal?

raymondjiii
Go to solution Solved by BCreekDave,

I have a need to sense the amount of light and to trigger the action when that occurs. I think the IOLink could be used on the receiving end. I know Home Depot sells a simple light sensing device for $12 but I would like something that could have a simple threshold to be set (simple potentiometer would be sufficient).  Has anyone used any type of light sensing device with IOLink or On/Off micro or anything else?

This kind of falls into the category of “anything else”. I use Wireless Tags primarily for temperature and humidity sensing but also do exactly what you are looking for. One of their tags (Tag Pro ALS) also has the ability to measure Lux, so therefore can report back to the ISY ambient light at any location the tag is placed. I run a couple of programs that monitor this Lux value and turn on or off lights in the house as appropriate. You would need the Wireless Tags equipment as well as a Polyglot/Polisy setup to make it work so this may be more involved than what you are looking to do.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, raymondjiii said:

I have a need to sense the amount of light and to trigger the action when that occurs. I think the IOLink could be used on the receiving end. I know Home Depot sells a simple light sensing device for $12 but I would like something that could have a simple threshold to be set (simple potentiometer would be sufficient).  Has anyone used any type of light sensing device with IOLink or On/Off micro or anything else?

I use a zwave motion sensor to do the same thing. Depending on room, time, and occupancy, lights will automatically turn on/off

• Like 1
On 6/13/2022 at 9:09 PM, raymondjiii said:

This might be overkill, but if you have a weatherflow tempest weather station and use the Node server, you get real time access to both LUX and W/m^2.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/13/2022 at 10:59 PM, Techman said:

Take a look at the Aeotec multisensor 6. It's a Z-wave device if you're so equipped

I currently use the "Luminance" value from a Multisensor 6 in this way -- e.g.  living room lights come on when the room gets dark, like yesterday's heavy mid-afternoon thunderstorms.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:07 AM, raymondjiii said:

I'm seeing EZIO2x4 models that have a sub-model as #5010V or #5010D. Would anyone know what the difference is between a D and V or is it similar to a REV # ?

The 5010v has 4 independent relay outputs only, no inputs. The 5010d has two digital inputs and two analog inputs and 4 outputs. 

You may want to look at the 1011A EZEye sales page on the resource tab. For the manual and its needs.

It has four wire connections. +8 to 20VDC,Analog Output,Digital Output and Ground. Has a pot to adjust sensitivity. It uses 8VDC to 20VDC to run but says +12VDC in the EZEye manual. The other SimpleHomeNet and Smartenit modules have a +12V output. The manual indicates a wall wart 12V supply is needed for the EZIO2x4 as it can't supply enough current on its I/O Connectors. Some of the other models do have a +12VDC on their I/O Connectors. The digital and analog outputs are independent so either one can be used or both can.

I have some of the manuals for their products. As I had trouble finding the older manuals for previous models. Let me know if you need any.

https://smartenit.com/shop/ezeye/

Edited by Brian H
Add stuff
  • Like 1

The 5010V Lot4R is also internet things enabled and is only 4 outputs as previously pointed out.  So it will not work for an EZEye digital or analog output.   https://docs.smartenit.com/iot4r/iot4r_quick-start.pdf

If you are not using the analog output on the EZEye its digital output would probably interface with many other dry contact input devices. Like an I/OLinc or external input on an Insteon Open Closed Sensor. Both would need the external 12 volt supply to power the EZEye module.

I have an EZEye coming and may have some more information in maybe a week. As the instruction sheet is confusing between the needed power 8-20VDC and its output type and possible voltage restrictions. I know the I/OLinc has a 5 volt Sensor voltage and if the EZEye has a Dry contact relay or open collector output. It should work. The open closed sensor maybe too low as it is a battery voltage run unit.

Edited by Brian H
Fix information error.
9 hours ago, apostolakisl said:

What is the connection between Smartinit and Insteon?  Appears that they are out of stock on most everything that has anything to do with Insteon.  They are also the only 3rd party Insteon device maker I have ever seen.  I assume they were buying boards from Smartlabs and modifying them?

That one always puzzled me too.  Possible they got an agreement before the change in management, or change of mind, inside Smarthome. If they could get access to the technology and sell it, why couldn't UDI ?

10 hours ago, apostolakisl said:

What is the connection between Smartinit and Insteon?  Appears that they are out of stock on most everything that has anything to do with Insteon.  They are also the only 3rd party Insteon device maker I have ever seen.  I assume they were buying boards from Smartlabs and modifying them?

From what I have seen. They purchased the base 2412 and then 2413 PLM  base units and added their own custom daughter board to them. I have a few of their modules and they are on the 2412 boards and case. Along with their custom Daughter Board. Then when they started having issues with the 2413 boards power supplies and this is noted in their Forums. Just like us. They went back to the purchase of 2412 boards assemblies made just for them.

My guess is they are also out of everything for the same reason we are. Company status and if the new owners decide what is going the be made again.

The parent company is Compacta and you may see that name in the some of the ISY Devices Lists.  The older name was SimpleHomeNet and they changed the name to Smartenit.

Edited by Brian H
  • Like 1