SMTP Settings "Default Settings"

raymondjiii
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

6 minutes ago, raymondjiii said:

Yes. That's what I was trying to say - I just made that change that MrBill wrote up, then hit "Test" and then I got what I got. I had no old messages from AT&T still on the device.

image.png.5ac6c6463d9243dfa87f61c39bcc8035.png

That's a pretty long guid though.

(Emails do originate from alerts@universal-devices.com though)

Edited by raymondjiii
  • 2 weeks later...

This has been happening to my text messages as well.  I have default selected. This just started happening recently. 

See screen shots:

First is with xx@mms.att.net

Second is with xx@text.att.net

The thirds is my text message list showing all these strange from numbers.

Its pretty annoying when I get a pole barn motion alert which may happen 3-5 x / day and each one is a different from address. 

IMG_8880E25661E8-1.jpeg

IMG_7EAAE40A5833-1.jpeg

IMG_08A1EFC1855C-1.jpeg

36 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

This has been happening to my text messages as well.  I have default selected. This just started happening recently. 

This appears to be an AT&T issue. There was a comment on another thread about this...seems like AT&T is not picking up the correct "from" and just using string of numbers. I tested with ISY994 and IoP over the last week using T-Mobile and never got such strange looking messages.

This still comes back to the suggestion that Email to Text is not the ideal way of processing notifications in 2022. There are Node Servers to handle pushing notifications to mobile devices either through UD Mobile or other applications (such as Pushover). Those options have many more functions and features than Email to Text. I think anybody using Email to Text should consider other options. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, MrBill said:

I've been trying to get that point across for years.

Yes I agree. I do use the Notification NS and Pushover quite extensively, and still had two leftover text messages that I had not gotten around to converting yet. But changed one last night and am  changing the second one now. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue with my email notifications not going out through the "Default" SMTP settings on the Emails/Notifications panel. Played around with this for a while - couldn't get it to work - and then I manually upgraded my ISY994i firmware from 5.3.0 to 5.3.4. Rebooted the ISY and bingo - email notifications working again through the "default" settings. I am interested however in the Pushover notifications that @MrBill suggested ... have that on my list of fixes now. Just need to figure out how to use Node Servers.....

8 minutes ago, Schlyguy said:

I manually upgraded my ISY994i firmware from 5.3.0 to 5.3.4. Rebooted the ISY and bingo - email notifications working again through the "default" settings.

The reason this worked after update was it was a fix made between 5.3 and 5.3.4.  It was a small fix, but widely talked about at the time since apparently a lot of people use the default settings. 

• Like 1