Keypadlinc Failures

balli

I've had maybe 20-odd Keypadlinc in my house for the past 15 years now.  They've always been prone to freeze up after a power failure, but it's getting worse and worse.  After any power event, there always a few that don't come back to life now.  I can usually fix them by resetting and reloading, but even that isn't working sometimes now.  

I don't know if I should punt and just swap out for z-wave or not.  I might be tempted is there was an alternative with high quality button labeling available.  I'm down to my last couple of spare switches now and the ones on ebay are crazy prices for even used switches that may well have the same issues as mine.

I'm thinking there have to be others in this same boat with me.

2 minutes ago, balli said:

I've had maybe 20-odd Keypadlinc in my house for the past 15 years now.  They've always been prone to freeze up after a power failure, but it's getting worse and worse.  After any power event, there always a few that don't come back to life now.  I can usually fix them by resetting and reloading, but even that isn't working sometimes now.  

I don't know if I should punt and just swap out for z-wave or not.  I might be tempted is there was an alternative with high quality button labeling available.  I'm down to my last couple of spare switches now and the ones on ebay are crazy prices for even used switches that may well have the same issues as mine.

I'm thinking there have to be others in this same boat with me.

I'd try changing the capacitors in some of them.   If you can't DIY solder there's a guy on ebay that's reasonable.

I also prefer using a keypadlinc when I can.  But when they became hard to find I installed several Zooz Z-Wave Zen32 keypads. I use them in out of the way areas like bedrooms.  That frees up my precious keypadlincs for more conspicuous areas in our home.  Using them with the ISY is a little tricky, the small buttons can only be recognized in programs, not scenes.  I documented my use as a fan controller using the Insteon fanlinc.

I solved the labeling issue by ordering custom plates from https://tedstuff.com/

plate_sm.jpg

Thanks for documenting your experience.  Very helpful.

I also have one of these Zen32 devices.  It's controlled by an older ISY with a series 300 dongle, and that combination is badly lacking for scene button functionality, so I don't recommend it.  Also, mine has a wonky relay (big) button that often gets stuck in the depressed state if you don't press on it in the very middle.  It seems like letting one side get ahead of the others causes that side to bind with the frame.   I guess I'd just say that, in general, another weakness of this device compared to the KPL is that button presses are not as "crisp" or "clicky", and I find the experience less satisfactory.

-Tom

• Like 1