Insteon Outdoor Module repair

tmorse305

I have an old outdoor module (#2456SE not dual band) that I have used for years on holiday decorations.  This year it's starting to have trouble getting commands.  It's the same plug on my porch I always use and there is a second outdoor module plugged right in next to it that works reliably.   Giving it's age I figured maybe the capacitors are finally giving up.  So I took a dremel tool and cut a hole in the front and back.  I changed the 3 electrolytics but the performance didn't improve.  Is there anything else in the modules that causes loss of sensitivity?

A couple of notes for anyone who want to try this:

Components face the bottom of the module

Plenty of air gap on the topside to avoid hitting the board

On the bottom, the relay is tight up against the plastic be careful cutting in that area

I left a wide shoulder all around the hole so I could silicone glue a piece of clear plastic to cover up the holes

Photo Oct 26 2022, 7 02 06 PM (Large).jpg

Photo Oct 26 2022, 7 01 51 PM (Large).jpg

On 10/27/2022 at 4:11 PM, tmorse305 said:

.....This year it's starting to have trouble getting commands.

Do the other basic functions work like:

• Pressing the set button to toggle the load on and off?
  • Does the LED indicator operate?
  • Can you poll the device from your system to determine the status.?
  • Can you hear an audible relay click when operating the set button?
  • Does the load come on.?

Most of these suggestions are apart from signaling and electronic (capacitor) issues.

-Pinch

1 hour ago, tmorse305 said:

@PinchRoller, yes to all questions.  With the event viewer set to level 3, the issue is there is no ack coming from the module when it doesn't work.  So it's not getting the command.  If I move it close to the PLM it never misses so there seems to be a loss in sensitivity.

I have a similar issue with some synchrolincs I have.  They are quite old.  Insteon hadn't made them in years so I was nursing these old ones along.  I'm going to give it a try with cap replacement.

The Synchrolink is a power line only module. Can't say about the 2456SE it also maybe a power line only module. Make sure the metal sensing unit is soldered in well in the Synchrolink.

Power line noise or signal absorbing electronic devices. Coupling between the power phases if on opposite phases. Could also be a factor. Especially if a different location works.

1 hour ago, Brian H said:

Can't say about the 2456SE it also maybe a power line only module.

It is also powerline only.  The other reason I think it's a unit problem is that I had an outdoor module plugged in both outlets, same vintage.  One works, the other is intermittent.

15 hours ago, Brian H said:

The Synchrolink is a power line only module. Can't say about the 2456SE it also maybe a power line only module. Make sure the metal sensing unit is soldered in well in the Synchrolink.

Power line noise or signal absorbing electronic devices. Coupling between the power phases if on opposite phases. Could also be a factor. Especially if a different location works.

I am familiar with the operation of a synchrolinc.  It has gone from working perfectly, to working less and less well over the years.  At this point I have to plug it into the same outlet as my PLM to get it to work.  Perhaps it would also work if I plugged it into the same outlet as any working device, I haven't tried.  I use it on my washing machines, which have dedicated circuits so I am assuming the distance of wire back to the panel is long enough to drop the PLC strength.  I have gotten as far as disassembling the synchrolinc, but have yet to pull the caps.