ISY 994.i V 4.9.0 and failing SD-Card

johnjces
Go to solution Solved by MrBill,

It has been years since I have been on this forum as my old 4.9.0 ISY has been plugging along great! But to the crux of my post...

The wiki shows great instructions on replacing the SD-Card but I have been happily using firmware version 4.9.0 for many years being quite happy. Obviously my ISY does pretty simple tasks.

My SD-Card appears to have some corruption as I cannot open or clear log files, empty but shows several thousand blank lines and have quite a few failure to open certain files in the Tools > Log and Tools > Error Log. I have no error light lit and System Status shows plenty of memory available and 0 bad bytes.

If I try to open the log file or error log file, and then try to go to my programs, I am out of luck. All my programs simply do not appear. From researching the forums, it would appear I have a corrupted SD-Card. My questions are:

1). Is there any way to do a chkdsk or an fsck and fix a corrupted SD-Card, (what file system is in use?)?

2). In reformatting the SD-Card it states to install the firmware and my question is, I like my old version as I am apprehensive about upgrading and going through my programs and fear of failure. Can I reinstall version 4.9.0 or must I go to the latest 5.X.X version?

Thanks in advance for any help and thoughts.

John

Edited by johnjces

the microSD card needs to be replaced.   The ISY supports up to 32gb cards and they are generally the least expensive.  16gb cards are usually about the same, the 4 or 8 GB card that's likely in current ISY will be more expensive due to low demand.

After you put the new card in and boot the ISY you need to immediately load the 4.9 firmware.  The factory installed bootloader is not the most recent version, nor is it a complete version of firmware, it's just enough to get the ISY running on a new firmware card.  After loading 4.9 then you can restore your backup.

• Like 1

Mr. Bill,

THANK-YOU!

Here is where I get confused.

Do I need to TTY into the ISY to do the 4.9.0 firmware install?

Or, do I just use the ISY finder as usual to get into it?

Then, in either case, where do I find the option of what firmware to install?

If using the ISY Finder/Launcher will it come up under the Help, Upgrade? Do I manually install it? In any event, I'll search for the download of 4.9.0 to have.

I am just so worried about screwing things up and even reading the wiki I get a bit confused. I am not sure why this worries me so much! What is the worst that can happen? I start over... relearn stuff from years past. Get over and move forward?? LOL

But any insights would be absolutely wonderful! What to expect and where to find it.

John

• Solution
27 minutes ago, johnjces said:

Do I need to TTY into the ISY to do the 4.9.0 firmware install?

No.  In the admin console, Help > Manually upgrade ISY      image.png.80f2b507cef04f60d839182e1ef84bf8.png

There you can load any version of firmware you want, to upgrade, downgrade etc.   After an upgrade/downgrade always make certain via Help > About that the firmware and UI version match exactly.  

The relevant firmware versions can be found here:  https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/339-current-release-announcements/

Download the correct firmware file which will be a .zip and DON'T unzip it.  Just turn right around and upload the firmware file to the ISY via Help > Manually Upgrade ISY

NOTE: for each release there are two versions of the firmware file.  One if you have an Insteon PLM and the other if you don't.  You have an Insteon PLM and I believe (without looking) that is always the first of the two choices in each post.