Need help updating to current PG3 version

Ross
Go to solution Solved by MrBill,

3 hours ago, bpwwer said:

The instructions for upgrading PG3 are posted with every release announcement: 

If something isn't clear about that, please let me know what you think would make it better.

We're still trying to figure out why you're having issues upgrading YoLink.  The node server store has been evolving over time as developers have asked for additional options for node server purchases.  This has caused some confusion for both users and developers. 

What appears to have happened is that the production version of YoLink was entered as a new node server instead of an update to the beta version.  What that means in this case, is that PG3 thinks you have YoLink(beta) installed in slot 1 so it can't install YoLink(production) there.  It also looks like you have a license for YoLinkI(beta) but not a license for YoLink(production).  

Bob, my PG3 version is 3.0.63.  My Admin Console is 5.3.4.  I looked at your instructions (just above) for upgrading to 3.1.13 and it says "In the Admin Console, click on Configuration, Upgrade Packages".  However, when I click on Configuration in the Admin Console, my choices are System, Emails/Notifications/IR, Electricity, Networking and Portals.  I feel dumb as I know it's somewhere right in front of me, but I just don't see it.

I am not running IOP - I have a Polisy with an ISY.  Maybe that's the difference?

Thanks,

Ross

@Ross since your issue is more with upgrading PG3 than the issue being discussed where you originally posted it, I split it out so you could get more help for this specific issue.

Since you're on an older version of PG3 at this point you need to open a support ticket to get the options for your specific device. 

Please review this information in the wiki: 
https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Polisy:User_Guide#Polisy_OS_Versions_Below_13

Submit a Ticket:       https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets

1 minute ago, Ross said:

@Geddy Tried to login at the link you provided, but when I click on "Login with ISY Portal", it goes to a page that just says "client_id is not valid" in the upper left.

Bummer...seems like UDI's site might be having issues. That's something @Michel Kohanim will need to review.

Try emailing as @MrBill says, but I think there might have been some recent changes to the ticket platform since @Michel Kohanim removed the email method from his signature. But should still work to get something started.

5 minutes ago, Ross said:

How can I tell what my Polisy OS version is? 

If you read the information in the wiki it will give you the commands to use via SSH login. Please note the default SSH login are admin/admin for user/pass. If you're not comfortable with logging in via SSH please wait for support to work on your ticket to assist with the process.

@MrBillI don't have IoP.  I have a Polisy and a separate ISY.  

I just got a new SSD for my Polisy when it conked out about 3 months ago.  I'm surprised that my version (3.0.63) is so out-of-date that I need special help to get it updated, but I'll open a ticket.  I'm not sure if 3.0.63 is the Polisy version or the PG3 version - I'm not sure of the difference between the two. 

I saw a thread recently about updating v. not-updating-as-long-as-it-works.  I've been in the latter camp but I am starting to see the folly of my ways.  Thank you.

@Ross - According to the release for PG3 v 3.0.63 IoP was running once installed. So as @MrBill says you've probably had it running. It's fine to run without adding anything to it (that's how mine is currently). 

Are you comfortable with SSH access to the Polisy? If so you should check out the wiki link I posted above and let us know what you get for the OS version result. I also think it should be current enough.    (sudo uname -a)

Are you on Windows or macOS? If on Windows and running ISY Launcher method you can probably just refresh your ISY Finder window to find the IoP process. That information is also seen in the wiki linked above. If it doesn't load on refresh try adding it manually as described -> https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Polisy:User_Guide#Can't_Find_Polisy

Since it's a new(ish) hard drive with 3.0.63 installed I think it's safe bet that IoP is running and you should be able to access the "Update Packages" button as @MrBill shows above. 

1 hour ago, Ross said:

I saw a thread recently about updating v. not-updating-as-long-as-it-works.  I've been in the latter camp but I am starting to see the folly of my ways. 

I think with the level of development around the Polisy keeping it updated is key. Otherwise, there appears a higher risk of issues by just letting it sit and churn. It's a living system that the developers have been making requests to help themselves, but also just overall making the whole system operate better (for all the users) as more, and more node servers are being developed. 

I believe the current official method to update is to open the admin console connected to the IoP instance on the Polisy and use the upgrade packages button there.

The IoP software on Polisy is becoming the defacto management interface for the Polisy.  

@@bpwwer

@MrBill

@Geddy

I believe I understand now and sorry it took me so long to catch up.  I do have an IoP, but I don't use it.  I use my "other" ISY which is a standalone.  However, I'm gleaning that I can go into IoP, Update Packages, and then my Polisy and/or PG3 will update.  Then, I don't have to use IoP again until another update is needed (or until my current ISY dies).  

I haven't ever SSH'd (word?) and will do so if needed, but I'll try the above instead.  Thank you all.  I truly appreciate the generosity of your time as I've learned much just by lurking on this board. - Ross

• Like 1

Upgrade went fine.  For the first time ever, Polisy/PG3/ISY are all on the current versions.  I feel it would be handy if one was notified of a more current version (in Polisy or ISY after you login) similar to how a phone app says you're not using a current version and click this button to update.  That would be nice for those of us who don't like to tinker; however, I'm sure there are myriad reasons why it can't or shouldn't be done. 

Now I need to get UDI Mobile updated and start learning all of the bells and whistles I'm not currently taking advantage of.  Watch for me over in that forum!  Thanks, Ross

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ross said:

Upgrade went fine.  For the first time ever, Polisy/PG3/ISY are all on the current versions.  I feel it would be handy if one was notified of a more current version (in Polisy or ISY after you login) similar to how a phone app says you're not using a current version and click this button to update.  That would be nice for those of us who don't like to tinker; however, I'm sure there are myriad reasons why it can't or shouldn't be done. 

Now I need to get UDI Mobile updated and start learning all of the bells and whistles I'm not currently taking advantage of.  Watch for me over in that forum!  Thanks, Ross

When IoP version changes I think it does tell you in the admin console.   That said to stay abreest of updates its best to follow the Current Release Announcements subforum.  (click the link, after the page loads click image.png.ef80097595ad092cde43f620fcd7defc.png near the top right, once you've picked the options the indicator will change to image.png.5a278b7e52f2932c26e57fb95e28e522.png.)   The Current Release Announcements sub forum has been locked down so that only authorized users can post.... which keeps the emails providing update announcements only.

• Like 1