Going back to INSTEON

Kentinada
Go to solution Solved by hart2hart,

When INSTEON looked like they were toast, I loaded the Z’-wave firmware version for my ISY994i and started getting a few Z-wave devices. Now it looks like INSTEON is still a viable solution so I want to reload the firmware with the PLM support for my INSTEON devices. Will I loose all my Z-wave device definitions when I do so? Suggestions on best way to proceed?  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Kentinada said:

When INSTEON looked like they were toast, I loaded the Z’-wave firmware version for my ISY994i and started getting a few Z-wave devices. Now it looks like INSTEON is still a viable solution so I want to reload the firmware with the PLM support for my INSTEON devices. Will I loose all my Z-wave device definitions when I do so? Suggestions on best way to proceed?  Thanks!

Stay with what you have. Insteon will still work

4 hours ago, Kentinada said:

This is my current version.  So I can try it like you said.  The downside is no notification if the PLM fails. If I load the firmware with PLM support, I assume I'm starting from scratch to load all my devices including my currently defined Z-wave devices - correct?

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 10.03.38 AM.jpg

All your devices and programs will not be affected by the firmware change and will remain intact. Be sure to do a ISY backup and a Zwave backup before any firmware update as an insurance policy.

Being that you're on the latest firmware version, the firmware update to the one that supports the PLM is just an academic exercise.

Edited by Techman

So I reloaded the full firmware without a problem and rebooted.  When I do a Tools/Diagnostics/PLM Info status it says 34.E7.BB v9E / Connected so I assume it's all communicating properly.  When I try to add back in my first INSTEON device, I get the attached error.  I am trying to add a Lamplinc Dual-band Dimmer 2457D2.  I must be missing something. Suggestions? 

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 5.09.11 PM.jpg

• Solution
So I moved the Lamplinc closer to the PLM and it worked.  I did another one and it found 2 other addresses which I have no clue what they are but obviously couldn't communicate with them.  See screen shot. Where are these coming from? 
http://d2z8ydsemzif1x.cloudfront.net/monthly_2022_11/1579177086_ScreenShot2022-11-14at9_32_38AM.thumb.jpeg.bab153541e95206de21257aee017607b.jpeg

Those are probably addresses that existed in that switch. When you add there are question about finding them. If that’s your older switches, I’d factory reset each before linking them. I’d delete that one and add again.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, ctviggen1 said:

Is Insteon actually back?  That would be great, because almost all of my house is Insteon, but I have maybe 10 more switches that aren't Insteon. 

Read more threads here.

Insteon is partially back, under new ownership, that listens to users. They also report progress of their rebuilding the company and product lines.