Deciding if upgrading to new Polysi is worth it.

TRI0N
Go to solution Solved by Michel Kohanim,

Deciding if upgrading my current 2 units to Polysi and buying a whole new other system for a new commercial site is "EVEN WORTH IT". 

Why do I ask that? Pretty easy. Your Product LACKS SERIOUS SUPPORT!

Right now, I have 2 ISY994i Z's and Polyglot will not update itself no matter how many times I reboot and attempt to update date. It refuses to update to 2.2.11 from 2.2.9-5.

Have I searched? Does water get you wet? YES!

Why this is not something easily found on your support site (oh don't even get me started on how BS your Account Linking from old Forums to New is a PAIN IN THE REAR END!) is why I question even supporting the product. Why is "EVERY" time there is a problem with your product it's a royal pain in the rear end to get support for it? Either a new login system, new forms, new support system. Always, ALWAYS a problem!!!!

Now what I need to know is this:

I need to upgrade Polyglot on my Pi 4 Servers I have dedicated for each ISY. Right now, the so called "built in update button" LIES to you the entire process and tells you it updated just fine but after a reboot of Polyglot, that is not the case. Another good reason to question your product.

I need whatever is needed to get 2.2.9-5 to Newest Version on a Pi 4.

Of course, I'm sure there is a newer version of the ISY of 5.3.0 which I have not looked at yet, probably because it was a pain the rear end just to upgrade that to 5.3.0. the last time I preformed update. It's like you literally need to hire an IT just to watch your website and product because there is ABSOLUTELY NO NOTIFICATIONS or such updates. It's so bad that I remember something about 5.1 thru 5.3 caused so many problems you actually recommended customers to rebuild their entire setup in the ISY.

Convince me that your product is worth investing in again because unless I get these Polyglots up to date so they can see new devices. I'm seriously putting money elsewhere.

Edited by TRI0N
4 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

Deciding if upgrading my current 2 units to Polysi and buying a whole new other system for a new commercial site is "EVEN WORTH IT". 

Right now, I have 2 ISY994i Z's and Polyglot will not update itself no matter how many times I reboot and attempt to update date. It refuses to update to 2.2.11 from 2.2.9-5.

Why this is not something easily found on your support site (oh don't even get me started on how BS your Account Linking from old Forums to New is a PAIN IN THE REAR END!) is why I question even supporting the product. Why is "EVERY" time there is a problem with your product it's a royal pain in the rear end to get support for it? Either a new login system, new forms, new support system. Always, ALWAYS a problem!!!!

I need to upgrade Polyglot on my Pi 4 Servers I have dedicated for each ISY. Right now, the so called "built in update button" LIES to you the entire process and tells you it updated just fine but after a reboot of Polyglot, that is not the case. Another good reason to question your product.

Of course, I'm sure there is a newer version of the ISY of 5.3.0 which I have not looked at yet, probably because it was a pain the rear end just to upgrade that to 5.3.0. the last time I preformed update. It's like you literally need to hire an IT just to watch your website and product because there is ABSOLUTELY NO NOTIFICATIONS or such updates. It's so bad that I remember something about 5.1 thru 5.3 caused so many problems you actually recommended customers to rebuild their entire setup in the ISY.

Convince me that your product is worth investing in again because unless I get these Polyglots up to date so they can see new devices. I'm seriously putting money elsewhere.

Have you tried opening a ticket ? UD's customer service is superb.

3 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

Of course, I'm sure there a newer version of the ISY of 5.3.0 which I have not looked at yet, probably because it was a pain the rear end just to upgrade that to 5.3.0. the last time I preformed update. It's like you literally need to hire an IT just to watch your website and product because there is ABSOLUTELY NO NOTIFICATIONS or such updates. It's so bad that I remember something about 5.1 thru 5.3 caused so many problems you actually recommended customers to rebuild their entire setup in the ISY.

The isy994 is discontinued so there wouldn't be updates. Reality is; it's a 10+ years old controller and support for it has ended (outside of security updates)...ditto for the PG2 version that you're running. 

You're complaining about a free unsupported product that's been discontinued in regards to rpi. 

The forums are a great place for support. The fact that you haven't posted about having issues or seeking help on here in 2 years is all on you nor can it be as difficult as you say....after all you found the time for your post but not ask basic questions. 

Direct support takes a couple of quick steps. I just signed up for a new account and it took less than a minute. If it's that hard then how important is it to you to receive executional care? Those steps are there to enhance your experience to help you....but they can't do that if you're not willing to help yourself. I've used every update since 5.xxx came out with minimum issues. Over time some stuff was broken due to bugs but subsequently fixed. In regards to update notifications, one just has to read. There's a notify via email button on the current release page which will email you anytime there's an update. 

No one is here to convince you to buy anything. Buy it because you want it and the ecosystem. If how they operate is not to your standards, then there are other systems out there...

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

The isy994 is discontinued so there wouldn't be updates. Reality is; it's a 10+ years old controller and support for it has ended (outside of security updates)...ditto for the PG2 version that you're running. 

You're complaining about a free unsupported product that's been discontinued in regards to rpi. 

The forums are a great place for support. The fact that you haven't posted about having issues or seeking help on here in 2 years is all on you nor can it be as difficult as you say....after all you found the time for your post but not ask basic questions. 

Direct support takes a couple of quick steps. I just signed up for a new account and it took less than a minute. If it's that hard then how important is it to you to receive executional care? Those steps are there to enhance your experience to help you....but they can't do that if you're not willing to help yourself. I've used every update since 5.xxx came out with minimum issues. Over time some stuff was broken due to bugs but subsequently fixed. In regards to update notifications, one just has to read. There's a notify via email button on the current release page which will email you anytime there's an update. 

No one is here to convince you to buy anything. Buy it because you want it and the ecosystem. If how they operate is not to your standards, then there are other systems out there...

You're telling me I pay for a subscription for it and I'm hearing from someone that doesn't even work for them that the product is discontinued.

For real?

Just now, TRI0N said:

You're telling me I pay for a subscription for it and I'm hearing from someone that doesn't even work for them that the product is discontinued.

For real?

@TRI0N This is my take..... Maybe a different attitude would help. 

You found your way to this forum and it is a great place to stay informed on anything UD.

Now, get off the high horse and open a ticket so that UD can help you.

10 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

For real?

What are you talking about? There's no subscription to use the isy. Take the time to learn your system (especially if installing for others) and you'll know exactly what you're paying for. The ONLY subscription that you would pay for with UDI is the portal which gives you remote access to your Isy in addition to allowing  you to connect ifttt, Google and Alexa. If you do not need any of those, then you do not need a portal subscription. 

Edited by lilyoyo1
18 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

What are you talking about? There's no subscription to use the isy. Take the time to learn your system (especially if installing for others) and you'll know exactly what you're paying for. The ONLY subscription that you would pay for with UDI is the portal which gives you remote access to your Isy in addition to allowing  you to connect ifttt, Google and Alexa. If you do not need any of those, then you do not need a portal subscription. 

Don’t forget to mention the portal subscription at less than $1/month is the single best home automation value on the entire internet.  

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I need all of those things. So, I've been paying for this and nothing about Discontinued Product/End of Life and now I'm just going to go off an buy the Polysi system because that is the only option you're attempting to sell me. I was going to buy them if this current problem can be solved. I'm not going to buy them to fix a problem that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. The idea of consolidating everything into one unit is very nice. No need for an ISY/Z-Wave Boost/Pi 4 Polyglot for each system. That would be a reason I WOULD buy. Not because it's the ONLY fix.

It's just becoming increasingly frustrating to deal with this product whenever there is a new release when you click "UPDATE" and it doesn't do it but tells you it did. That's not a good reason to fork money at something.

Edited by TRI0N
58 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

When did you purchase Polyglot and Pi4 Servers from UDI?

The software you are using was not written by UDI. Neither it nor Pi 4 hardware are UDI products.

If you're looking for support for Polyglot V2, the git hub is here: https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc/polyglot-v2 You can open an issue there but won't likely get support for that either as the person that wrote it is no longer actively maintaining it. 

• Like 1

PG2 running on a raspberry pi has been past END of Life for a few years now.  More recently PG2 on Polisy has been deprecated because it has a replacement PG3. 

Polisy is also out of stock and has been since last May.  Due to supply chain issues it’s being replaced as eisy… basically similar to Polisy, but different hardware running the same OS and software.

3 responders and not a single person can point to a link about manually updating a Pi 4 for Polyglot 2.2.11? Or even just a Linux variant manual update? That would have made the same on upgrading 1/4 the way. Lets just forget that v2.2.9-5 lies about updating itself. Can we just get that fixed?

4 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

When did you purchase Polyglot and Pi4 Servers from UDI?

The software you are using was not written by UDI. Neither it nor Pi 4 hardware are UDI products.

If you're looking for support for Polyglot V2, the git hub is here: https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc/polyglot-v2 You can open an issue there but won't likely get support for that either as the person that wrote it is no longer actively maintaining it. 

Holy balls! Did I say I purchased a Pi 4 form Universal Devices?

2 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

3 responders and not a single person can point to a link about manually updating a Pi 4 for Polyglot 2.2.11? Or even just a Linux variant manual update? That would have made the same on upgrading 1/4 the way. Lets just forget that v2.2.9-5 lies about updating itself. Can we just get that fixed?

I gave you the answer, so did @bpwwer 

PG2 on Pi is dead.  It won’t update.  Stop complaining about it.   Either make up your mind to 1) stay with the platform and update your hardware. 2) run it just like it is now without updating/upgrading anything or 3) find something else that better meets your needs.

1 minute ago, TRI0N said:

3 responders and not a single person can point to a link about manually updating a Pi 4 for Polyglot 2.2.11?

Go read this area: https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/155-polyglot-v2/

PG2 on rpi has always been DIY. There's been lots of changes to underlying rpi OS that's probably impacted PG2.

But to further the above comments that you dismiss PG2 has been deprecated. This was announced by UDI through email blasts, their website, and this forum area when Polisy was announced. 

As for your comment about version for PG2 I believe this is the most current:

image.png

Then for an ISY994 you can go here and find out how to update to the latest (most recent) version of Firmware (make sure you meet the requirements to upgrade to 5.3.4):

10 minutes ago, MrBill said:

PG2 running on a raspberry pi has been past END of Life for a few years now.  More recently PG2 on Polisy has been deprecated because it has a replacement PG3. 

Polisy is also out of stock and has been since last May.  Due to supply chain issues it’s being replaced as eisy… basically similar to Polisy, but different hardware running the same OS and software.

So Polysi Pro is not even in stock? Well that saves me a ton of time telling one client that I will need to find something that will work for their commercial venue, while now looking for a new solution to my 2 existing units.

Thanks for getting straight to the heart of it. No BS. It's not worth it. Roger that!

8 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Go read this area: https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/155-polyglot-v2/

PG2 on rpi has always been DIY. There's been lots of changes to underlying rpi OS that's probably impacted PG2.

But to further the above comments that you dismiss PG2 has been deprecated. This was announced by UDI through email blasts, their website, and this forum area when Polisy was announced. 

As for your comment about version for PG2 I believe this is the most current:

image.png

Then for an ISY994 you can go here and find out how to update to the latest (most recent) version of Firmware (make sure you meet the requirements to upgrade to 5.3.4):

But thanks to another user they pointed out your products is 1) End of Life and 2) New Product is Out of Stock till who know when. So, wasting my time with the product at hand and even if Polysi Pro's as a solution. 

Edited by TRI0N
1 minute ago, TRI0N said:

Wrong thing I'm attempting to update

Negative.

1 hour ago, TRI0N said:

I need to upgrade Polyglot on my Pi 4 Servers I have dedicated for each ISY

You asked how to upgrade Polyglot. That's the link I gave you to the PG2 discussion of the forums. In there you can find ways to install PG2 on rpi as recent as earlier this year.

2 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

wasting my time with the product at hand

You've made almost no sense this whole thread. You've spend the last hour ranting about Polyglot not updating and wanting to know if you should buy a Polisy. If you had just checked the UDI store site you would have seen that Polisy and Polisy Pro aren't even available. Then, as @MrBill pointed out they've been sold out since early summer (after Insteon shut down and people scrambled for different controllers). Now parts are unavailable to build the Polisy so UDI has developed a new controller that will be released soon and available later this year or very early next called the "eisy". Sadly, yes, the information for that is (hidden) in the Coffee Shop area of the forums, but it's there for the reading. 

What's really shocking is that you haven't really explained what your issues are. Perhaps by calming down a little bit and explaining why you need to try to update or what's going on perhaps you could get other users to help resolve the issues you're having. 

If your only issue is that you can't update Polyglot v2 on a rpi system that's one thing. If there's issues with how the ISY994 is acting that's another. 

First step would be to update the ISY994 to the most recent firmware version that it would accept (again, depending on z-wave controller dependent). 

Good luck!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Negative.

You asked how to upgrade Polyglot. That's the link I gave you to the PG2 discussion of the forums. In there you can find ways to install PG2 on rpi as recent as earlier this year.

You've made almost no sense this whole thread. You've spend the last hour ranting about Polyglot not updating and wanting to know if you should buy a Polisy. If you had just checked the UDI store site you would have seen that Polisy and Polisy Pro aren't even available. Then, as @MrBill pointed out they've been sold out since early summer (after Insteon shut down and people scrambled for different controllers). Now parts are unavailable to build the Polisy so UDI has developed a new controller that will be released soon and available later this year or very early next called the "eisy". Sadly, yes, the information for that is (hidden) in the Coffee Shop area of the forums, but it's there for the reading. 

What's really shocking is that you haven't really explained what your issues are. Perhaps by calming down a little bit and explaining why you need to try to update or what's going on perhaps you could get other users to help resolve the issues you're having. 

If your only issue is that you can't update Polyglot v2 on a rpi system that's one thing. If there's issues with how the ISY994 is acting that's another. 

First step would be to update the ISY994 to the most recent firmware version that it would accept (again, depending on z-wave controller dependent). 

Good luck!

Made perfect sense. Product wasn't working. Needed to upgrade Polyglot to 2.2.11. Yes, I ranted, it was well overdue since the last 3.5.0 update to ISY itself where it lost the entire configuration kept me from every looking to see if another update was released. I can see why one never was.

Last: What exactly is the new eisy using to replace Polyglot? Will it communicate with other said devices that Polyglot did. Will it be able to accept my own dev for a Siemons Car Chargers unit I've been developing with Tesla? What is the replacement for Polyglot in your new product?

32 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Negative.

Good luck!

The problem is this. Another one of my dev items is in a final stage of development for a smart automated garage door system that is new. For some reason the Polyglot stop functioning with TP-Link devices. So, I logged in for the first time into the Pi 4 since the ISY 5.3.0 nightmare at the office. There was an UPDATE... Wooo, anyone would be excited right? Well, the built-in update doesn't even work (not exactually putting my 5.3.0 blues to rest). So, I needed a quick fix to update this but, apparently, it's just a GetHub Raspatory so anything can go wrong will most likely go wrong. I was able to fix the TP-Link issues but since there was an update I figure (like any other normal person would) it would be a good idea to do so.

So, what is being used to replace the polyglot library and ability to develop for none released technology. I have like I said another project that is nearing to develop for Siemons Universal Charging with Tesla Technology Enabled Smart Charging System for Commercial applications for companies that want to offer EV Charging to all cars while also making it enable Tesla Technology for their Rapid Charge to only employees with RFID's that allow it. ISY's job is to know when and when not to energize the electric lines to those units.

28 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

Product wasn't working. Needed to upgrade Polyglot to 2.2.11

Again, explain wasn't working and you might get further assistance. Since I never ran PG2 on rpi then I don't know if there is an updated version that would run on rpi. Perhaps the version I referenced above was written specifically for the Polisy and perhaps because developed stopped on PG2 for rpi or 3rd party hardware before it stopped for UDI hardware (the Polisy) it might be that you can't update beyond what you have. 

29 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

Yes, I ranted, it was well overdue since the last 3.5.0 update to ISY itself where it lost the entire configuration kept me from every looking to see if another update was released. I can see why one never was.

I think you've got numbers in the wrong order. If you're talking about an ISY994 firmware version 3.5.0 would have been years ago. I believe you're meaning 5.3.0 for the ISY994. There was a huge difference from the 4.x to 5.x code and there were some that had issues in the update. Apparently you were hampered by a more extreme issue during the update that caused you to lose the entire configuration. I'd say a vast majority had very little issue aside from the key points mentioned in the 5.x release notes along the way (programs that use "adjust scene" and disabled programs becoming enabled). 

But, I will say...if you do mean ISY994 firmware version 5.3.0 then if you have z-wave 500 controller or don't have z-wave then you should update to 5.3.4 (in my link above). That's the most recent release for the ISY994 and possibly the last (unless any security issues arise). That's been the stable release now for over a year. And it's much easier than any update from 4.x so it's a very simple process. And yes...it's been well documented that the "auto update" feature was removed in the 5.x line because of the issues caused from 4.x to 5.x. 

34 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

Last: What exactly is the new eisy using to replace Polyglot? Will it communicate with other said devices that Polyglot did.

You can read more about the eisy in this thread that teased the equipment earlier this summer. Then there is an active thread discussing the product found here.

36 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

Will it be able to accept my own dev for a Siemons Car Chargers unit I've been developing with Tesla?

That's a question that @Michel Kohanim or @bpwwer would need to address, but simple answer is probably not because eisy is a UDI developed product with Polyglot running node servers. You can apply to become a developer for UDI and perhaps develop a node server to work for that charger line. There's already a Tesla EV node server that many are using. 

39 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

What is the replacement for Polyglot in your new product?

This is where I feel your terminology is incorrect. 

Polyglot is a "service" that runs on equipment. 

Polisy is a device released by Universal Devices that runs Polyglot (version 3) (learn more about it in the wiki)

Within the Polisy it runs ISY as a service (ISY on Polisy (IoP)). This way the Polisy replaced the ISY994 and an external rpi to run Polyglot. By developing the hardware UDI is better able to control how their system (Polyglot and ISY) runs. 

eisy is the new device released by Universal Devices. It will also run Polyglot (v3) and ISY as services and developed along side the Polisy for the time being.

It's the evolving world of technology. 

ISY994 is still running strong, and is stable with it's many firmware along the way.

Have a great rest of your day!

45 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

your new product

PS: I'm just a user of UDI products like so many here. I'm not affiliated or connected to the company in anyway. I just help out here on the forums to try to keep things somewhat organized. As best as herding cats can be sometimes. The forums are mostly user-to-user support. UDI employees do help out and post and interact as time allows, which is a huge plus! 

• Like 2