Roadblock -DB9 to RJ-45 cables are unicorns

FerventGeek
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

I'm ready to migrate my 99 to my Polisy, but for one thing- no serial cables available for the PLM. Womp-womp.

https://smartenit.com/shop/plm-serial-cable/ are out of stock.

Is this a standard cable, or is there a published pin-out so I can make my own? Is it a standard console cable (AKA Cisco blue? https://www.amazon.com/OIKWAN-Rollover-Console-Management-Adapter/dp/B08V539JMQ)

Thx, I can't wait.

Edited by FerventGeek
more detail
  • Solution

@FerventGeek not sure about that cable you link to, but know this has been covered before (when lots were migrating over to Polisy). 

I think there's something with only having a few wires connected on the serial side so not to cause issues. I am not in the know of what is/isn't good to connect. 

I just know there were a lot of links to this product at Amazon (thank you @MrBill

This post from @Brian H should be able to tell you something about what wires to connect up (pin-out). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@FerventGeekI used a cisco rollover cable but I just cut the RJ45 end off and crimped a new one based on the pinouts in diagrams and user manual. I think it was only three wires. Note that the wire colors don't seem to be standard from one cisco cable to another - I have several with different color combinations. If you don't have a tool, you can just cut the wire mid-point and use a multi-meter to reconnect the wires correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your diagram does not look correct.

P2 on the diagram. Back side where pins are inserted. Pin 1 Top Left pin position. Pin 5 on the Top Right.

Blue to P2 Pin 2, Brown P2 Pin 5, White to P2 Pin 3.

Top left to top right: 1 NC, 2 Blue, 3 White, 4 NC, 5 Brown. Bottom row 6-9 all NC.

All the rest of the wires from the network side. Should be insulated from each other and not connected to anything. As two of them are not used TTL versions  of send and received signals.

Edited by Brian H
Add data
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Brian H said:

Your diagram does not look correct.

P2 on the diagram. Back side where pins are inserted. Pin 1 Top Left pin position. Pin 5 on the Top Right.

Blue to P2 Pin 2, Brown P2 Pin 5, White to P2 Pin 3.

Top left to top right: 1 NC, 2 Blue, 3 White, 4 NC, 5 Brown. Bottom row 6-9 all NC.

All the rest of the wires from the network side. Should be insulated from each other and not connected to anything. As two of them are not used TTL versions  of send and received signals.

Thx Brian. I should have labeled the connector as female front. This would be the view looking at the end of the connector not the back of the plate. 

Thx all for the links to the official UD cable. I try not to create e-waste and wouldn’t use the serial to USB or Ethernet cables. But if the $3 homemade adapter option doesn’t work then I’ll get a cable. 

Hopefully USB PLMs will come back in stock and I’ll eventually move to that, and make the existing 10yo adapter the backup. 

Edited by FerventGeek
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, FerventGeek said:

Thx all for the links to the official UD cable. I try not to create e-waste and wouldn’t use the serial to USB or Ethernet cables. But if the $3 homemade adapter option doesn’t work then I’ll get a cable. 

Hopefully USB PLMs will come back in stock and I’ll eventually move to that, and make the existing 10yo adapter the backup. 

The USB PLMs should be available Q1 2023. You can add your name to the notify email list at the link below

USB Modem Interface (PLM) – Insteon

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if this is helpful to folks, but I had some trouble understanding the above with picture orientations and all.  I want to make my own cable to make things easier.  I have an aversion to adapters.  Though the one identified above would certainly be simple enough.

Based on the following published documentation.

PowerLinc Modem (Serial) (insteon.com) 

RS-232 DB9 pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com

The pin numbers used below are the standard numbering.  Usually stamped into the DB9 and defined by the shape of the RJ45 jack.    Pictures are provided in the links above.

The RJ45 jack on the PLM uses :

PIN 1 = RS232 Rx   --> PIN 2 on DB9

PIN 8 = RS232 Tx   --> PIN 3 on DB9

PIN 7 = Ground       --> PIN 5 on DB9

RS232 potentially uses voltage levels from -12 to 12 volts, but can be as low as -3 to 3 volts.  This is not compatible with USB hence the need for an adapter.

Removed references to TTL , if it reappears the concept is incorrect.

Edited by Irakandjii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest you do some more research on  USB and the Polisy port signals. If the port is USB and not TTL but a USB.

USB is not TTL signal levels. The adapter can take the TTL levels and make them USB compatible.

USB uses a differential levels between D+and D- signal lines. Needs some intelligence to determine things like speed power needed.

The PLM TTL signals are at a fixed 19,200 baud rate also not USB compatible. With out a TTL to USB adapter in between the two.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Brian H said:

I would suggest you do some more research on  USB and the Polisy port signals. If the port is USB and not TTL but a USB.

USB is not TTL signal levels. The adapter can take the TTL levels and make them USB compatible.

USB uses a differential levels between D+and D- signal lines. Needs some intelligence to determine things like speed power needed.

The PLM TTL signals are at a fixed 19,200 baud rate also not USB compatible. With out a TTL to USB adapter in between the two.

Yes you are correct, I had forgotten that I used a TTL to USB adapter when doing this in the past.  Senior moment.

I have edited the post and removed my previous speculation.  I toyed with using an old TTL to USB Serial adapter and then ... thought .. but why?

• Like 1