Portal dead again?

webminster
Go to solution Solved by bmercier,

I know it's been 3 outages in just a few days, and this looks really bad on us. 

Let me share with you a few more details.

The first outage was due to a stupid lack of disk space on the database server. Logs suddenly started to grow quickly until we ran out of space. Clearing the logs allowed us to get back online quickly.

Second outage was more subtle and was due to a performance problem with the oAuth server. It went slower and slower until it reached a threshold at which point Alexa was making retries on the oAuth server, which quickly worsened the problem with deadlocks on oAuth records, which ultimately made the database server reach 100% cpu in an instant, which made everything terribly slow. A simple index added fixed the problem.

This time again is a different problem. It appears to be an Amazon failure where connection to the database server was severed. I could not even SSH to the server, all communication was stopped. I experienced this type of problems a few times over the years, and due to redundancy it never had an impact on the uptime. But when it happens on the database server like this time, it's a different story.

So this is really 3 different and unrelated problem which happened in a short period of time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Lesson learned for me on this thread:

- when Alexa is down, check the portal via the AC.

1906388448_Screenshot2022-12-03at6_28_55PM.jpg.f97f98e412d21d018995a4df6f056e32.jpg

Luckily for me, when I noticed Alexa wasn't working, I had just finished installing my new matter board and doing backups etc, and it time for a nap, so I didnt waste any time trying to "fix" the Alexa problem.

As stated before, UD is generally so stable, I would not have thought of the portal immediately.

Thanks @bmercier. while I sleep, the elves were busy.......

Edited by dbwarner5
typos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1