2 Switches Controlling Other Switch Unexpectedly

elite-rob
Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

Hello Everyone,

After banging my head against the wall for several hours, I need to ask for some help.... and I'm hoping there's an easy obvious solution.

I have a 4-bank switch at the front of my house. I just replaced one of them.

When testing things, I noticed that "switch 2", seems to be connected to "switch 1" and "switch 3".

What I mean by this that if switch 1 is turned on/off it also changes the status of switch 2. Weird!
And, the same happens if switch 3 is turned on/off, it also changes the status of switch 2. So weird!

I've tried to look for scenes or programs that connect these, but I can't find anything.

I can't figure out why these two other switches would control this switch that should be stand-alone.

If I only turn on/off "switch 2" then the others are not impacted. So the control seems to be one-way, in case that's a clue.

Any ideas?

Right now every time my porch light turns on (switch 3), it also turns on my chandelier (switch 2)...so it's mega strange as I can't see why I'd ever link them.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

• Solution

@elite-rob If Insteon switches it's possible they got locally linked and the ISY (994?) would not notice/recognize that link in the admin console. You can fix this several ways, but I think the easiest is to:

Factory reset the switch. Then re-link to ISY. 

I think there might be a way to make this work without removing it from the ISY tree and right click on the device and "restore device" and it should write back everything the ISY has for that switch. I've never personally tried it this way, but saw an old post referencing this method. 

Note - It's often suggested when installing switches to always perform a factory reset before linking to the ISY. This clears out any existing links or strange QA codes that might have been introduced to the device from the factory. 

When linking to the ISY there's always the option to "remove existing links". This way sometimes help stops this from happening, but is not always 100% accurate. That's why some will always suggest a factory reset just to completely clear any existing internal memory. 

Google search for the type of switch you have to get the proper process for factory reset.

34 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@elite-rob If Insteon switches it's possible they got locally linked and the ISY (994?) would not notice/recognize that link in the admin console. You can fix this several ways, but I think the easiest is to:

Factory reset the switch. Then re-link to ISY. 

I think there might be a way to make this work without removing it from the ISY tree and right click on the device and "restore device" and it should write back everything the ISY has for that switch. I've never personally tried it this way, but saw an old post referencing this method. 

Note - It's often suggested when installing switches to always perform a factory reset before linking to the ISY. This clears out any existing links or strange QA codes that might have been introduced to the device from the factory. 

When linking to the ISY there's always the option to "remove existing links". This way sometimes help stops this from happening, but is not always 100% accurate. That's why some will always suggest a factory reset just to completely clear any existing internal memory. 

Google search for the type of switch you have to get the proper process for factory reset.

Thanks so much!
I did a factory reset at the switch itself and that seems to have done the trick!

The switch is no longer randomly being controlled by the ones beside it.

Appreciate the help!!!

• Like 2