Eisy not connecting to my 2413S PLM

pyrorobert

So I just received the Eisy this afternoon. I am trying to set it up as it is replacing my Isy-994i. I was able to restore the backup, migrate everything. But it will not see my PLM. When I check the PLM info/status, it shows not connected. I am using a usb to Serial / Serial to DB9 adapter. I also tried to factory reset the PLM, but it did not help. Any other ideas? 

PLM Status    0.0.0 v0 / not connected

59 minutes ago, pyrorobert said:

So I just received the Eisy this afternoon. I am trying to set it up as it is replacing my Isy-994i. I was able to restore the backup, migrate everything. But it will not see my PLM. When I check the PLM info/status, it shows not connected. I am using a usb to Serial / Serial to DB9 adapter. I also tried to factory reset the PLM, but it did not help. Any other ideas? 

PLM Status    0.0.0 v0 / not connected

Did you connect and power up the plm before the EISY?

• Like 1

I have the same issue.  I have the 2413S with rj45 port running to isy994i and just received the Eisy.  I've tried several different serial cables without success.  Always get  PLM Status  0.0.0 v0 / not connected

Support said I need their serial PLM kit but it remains out of stock.

Does anyone have any suggestions to try and get it working?  I'm connected from the 2413S to the usb port in the back of the Eisy.  I've tried with and without db9 conversion.  I've tried plugging PLM in first then booting the Eisy.

Thanks

Have you tried a Factory Reset on the PLM?  My USB adapter goes from USB to DB-9, I think DCE?  Regardless you got to go from the DB-9 to RJ45 and be sure the wiring is right.  Somewhere on here are/were the pinouts and instructions for making your own cable.  The USB to 232 adapter UD is selling is the same as the one I've been using for years to connect to other manufacturer's products so I'd like to believe almost any old USB-232 adapter will work.  

PLM was plugged in and connected to the Eisy before I turned it on. Still having comm issues. I am making my own cable as I found out that the db9 to rj45 adapter was wired different as this was typically used to connect to other fire alarm panels. Now just trying to make my own at least until UD has them in stock again. I did try to factory reset the PLM but i still have the 0.0.0 v0/ not connected for my PLM status. 

what are the pins for the rj45 to db9 adapter?  I have the original cable that came with serial PLM, but it didn't work.  I have a bunch of db9 to rj45 kits to make adapters.

IS this correct? 

RJ45 PIN1 --> RS232 TX
RJ45 PIN8 --> RS232 RX
RJ45 PIN7 --> GND

Edited by bigDvette

So I just found the serial to rj45 cable that came with one of the PLMs that I had as an extra and used that to connect to the Eisy. It is now up and running. I used a usb A to serial db9 adapter to the Serial cable to rj45 to a RJ45 coupler to the Ethernet cable to the PLM. Kind of a mess but it worked.

I too had this issue. Took a while to figure out that the RJ-45 to DB9 is not standard connection. So you have to change the pins somewhere. bigDvette's pins are not correct (depending on how you view it). Pin1 & Pin8 are swapped. The correct pin outs are:

RJ45/PLM Pin 1 --> RS232 Rx (Computer Side Pin 2)
RJ45/PLM Pin 8 --> RS232 Tx (Computer Side Pin 3)
RJ45/PLM Pin 7 --> RS232 Gnd (Computer Side Pin 5)

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1447637/Insteon-Powerlinc-2413s.html#manual

I'm a bit confused. I have a 2413S PLM that I've been using for years with an ISY. 

It has an RJ45 port and I've always just used a regular ethernet cable to connect it to my ISY.

I just received my Eisy and it does not seem to recognize the PLM via the RJ45 cable.

I don't have the original PLM cable and I'm confused on how to get it working.

Can I just rewire a CAT 5 cable with RJ45 plugs and get it connected or do I have to buy the UD serial conversion kit?

Before I bought the Eisy, UD support told me my PLM would work with it so I was taken off guard that some versions may not.

Smarthome used the unique serial signal interface connector way back to the X10 days. Seems when they use something they stick to the same misunderstood connector. 

Many where confused. The RJ45 connector on the 2413S, 2412S PLM  and Port A on the ISY994i are Serial Signals not the normally thought of Ethernet use. The PLM also has a set of TTL level signal pins that should not be connected to anything in this application. 2412S also had a unregulated +12VDC  around +18VDC. That should also not be connected to anything in this application.

This information is on the sheet provided in the box along with the needed cable serial cable with only three wires needed for serial communications. In the cradle holding the PLM and with unfortunately, no label to give the user any clue it was there. Sometimes resulting in it being discarded.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jhoulihan said:

So would I be able to simply wire up a CAT 5 cable with RJ45 plugs on each end and if so, can anyone tell me exactly how to wire it?

What are you trying to do?

Does the Eisy have a serial RJ45 network style connector. That Smathomes unique serial format connector used and not the standard DB9S for serial communications? I would seriously doubt it. So best thoughts no.

The three wire connections from the RJ45 unique serial connector to the DB9S. Is documented in a few places and in this thread.

Edited by Brian H
Add information
What are you trying to do?
Does the Eisy have a serial RJ45 network style connector. That Smathomes unique serial format connector used and not the standard DB9S for serial communications? I would seriously doubt it. So best thoughts no.
The three wire connections from the RJ45 unique serial connector to the DB9S. Is documented in a few places and in this thread.
The EIA232 spec defines the 8 pin RJ45 connector as an RS232D standard hardware since 1990?

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_RS232.html

The RJ45 connector is very commonly used in serial ports for larger data equipment where space is a premium. This makes the Ethetnet cables useful for both applications.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information on the RJ45 RS232 use. As long as someone doesn't think it is a network connection and try that route. 😀

The Serial RJ45 pin out is not even close to what Smarthome did with their custom signal connections. Like TTL and +12VDC on some of the pins.

Using an adapter. Where the user can select what wire goes to what pin. Should work.

Edited by Brian H
Rearange comments

I just received my "Official" UDI PLM "cable kit" for my eisy to 2413S and it will not connect. The "pretty" blue light is lit on the USB to DB9 connector and the eisy OS is showing
"uplcom0: Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial Controller, class 0/0, rev 2.00/6.05, adr 4 on usbus0"
yet PLM diagnostics shows "/ Not Connected."

I would not think that there would be any cable or pin corrections needed with the UDI cable set... right?

Before getting the UDI cable set I tried to connect my PLM with the eisy using my own cables and DB9 to RJ45 adapter/USB to DB9 cable and an assortment of ethernet cables and nothing worked, hence my purchase of the UDI Cable set.

The 2413S works perfectly on my 994i.

Any help would be appreciated!

Also any news as to the birth of the "new and improved" PLM's? Insteon say's it should be sometime in Q1.

Just looked at the kit.

So you are using the network style cable, RJ45 to DB9 adapter, and the USB adapter in the kit? Unless the kit has been changed. I don't think you need any cables you made.

I saw a mention of the improved PLM being Q2 and the 2413S March of 2023

Edited by Brian H
Looked at the kit. Changed my reply.
On 1/1/2023 at 1:11 PM, jhoulihan said:

Never mind. I did not realize that you have to connect the PLM to the Eisy USB port. NOT the RJ45 port which is only for Wifi. 

I just ordered the UD convertor cable.  I'm a bit disappointed this was not more clear so I could have ordered it along with the Eisy.

Hi @jhoulihanI was wondering if you'd received your UDI cable kit yet and, if so, is it working for you? I have the the cable kit but it's not working with my 2413S to the eisy.

This is such a poor product deployment! I have the same issue with 2413S.  I need RJ45 to USB cable to complete migration from ISY 944i to Eisy. After spending this much $$$ and not able to connect because of a cheap cable is horrible. Maybe it is time to move to HA.