Z-Wave plugin dimmer issue with ZMatter

brians

I have a few ZWave dimmers... a couple Z-Link ZL-PD100 and a Leviton DZPD3-2BW.

I also have Homebridge ISY setup on a RPi.

I noticed that the Z-Wave dimmers above do not seem to report their info correctly to UD Mobile or HomeBridge. They work fine in AC but I noticed I could not add a slider widget in UD Moble:

In UD Mobile, I am unable to see the pencil/edit icon in top right where it should be to link the On button... I honestly did not try this with Zooz ZWave dongle before so I am not sure. I have same issue with Leviton DZPD3-2BW with the icon missing as below picture.

IMG_9789.thumb.jpg.2f29462cd9f9bca6fd04cb2a58cb8d8e.jpg

Interesting though that a similar Leviton device that is a non-dimmable on/off plug shows that pencil icon and it is same family device just that it is a switch instead of a dimmer...

image.jpeg.98779c0901bea524722b82e073f27c14.jpeg

IMG_9790.thumb.jpg.abd48943a6716a6b57f8d57b912f28e6.jpg

Again, I just noticed that these dimmers do not show up at all in HomeKit/HomeBridge but I am pretty sure that they did before with Zooz ZWave dongle, so this starts to make me wonder. Other Z-Wave devices show up like wall switches (I don't have any wall dimmers though to test).

There seems to be an is issue with ZMatter not recognizing these Z-Wave plugin dimmers correctly.

Here is pic of the dimmers I am referring to that have this issue...

image.jpeg.d333f2d113ae5d971143d75134c7f19a.jpegLEVITON DZPD3-2BW Decora Smart™ Dimmer Switch with Z-Wave Technology 2.5 A,  120 VAC, 100 W Dimmable LED/CFL, 300 W Incandescent

Here is Z-Wave X-Ray Device/Channel Database Object report for Z-Link Dimmer...

Z-Wave Database for uid=3.0 (0x03.00)
Isy Primary Node: id=43 addr=[ZY003_1]
ZW-Type: 4.17.1 (0x04.0x11.0x01)
Mfg Specific: mid=789 tid=18244 pid=12338
ZWave+ RoleType=0 NodeType=0
Flags: initialized=T agi=F alwaysAwake=F
Security: No Security

--- 16 Command Classes ---
    32  x20 V1 I S       BASIC
    38  x26 V4 I S       SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
    43  x2b V1 I S       SCENE_ACTIVATION
    44  x2c V1 I S       SCENE_ACTUATOR_CONF
    85  x55 V2 I S       TRANSPORT_SERVICE
    89  x59 V1 I S       ASSOCIATION_GROUP_INFO
    90  x5a V1 I S       DEVICE_RESET_LOCALLY
    94  x5e V2 I S       ZWAVEPLUS_INFO
   108  x6c V1 I S       SUPERVISION
   112  x70 V3 I S       CONFIGURATION
   114  x72 V2 I S       MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC
   115  x73 V1 I S       POWERLEVEL
   122  x7a V4 I S       FIRMWARE_UPDATE_MD
   133  x85 V2 I S       ASSOCIATION
   134  x86 V3 I S       VERSION
   159  x9f V1 I S       SECURITY_2

--- 1 AGI ---
  grp=  1 cc=0x5A.01 profile=0x00.01 maxRsp=1  /1   DEVICE_RESET_LOCALLY

--- Status Map (1 records) ---
[ 0] 0x26/SWITCH_MULTILEVEL    recId=1      sgid=119 ST       uom=51 prec=0 namemap=27 | min=0 max=101

--- Control Map (0 records) ---

--- Responder Map (10 records) ---
[ 0] sgid=119   ASSOC   ASSOC           (1,  1)
[ 1] sgid=119   ASSOC   ASSOC_MC        (1, 51)
[ 2] sgid=119   BASIC   BASIC           (2,  2)
[ 3] sgid=119   BASIC   BASIC_MC        (2, 52)
[ 4] sgid=147   BSW     BSW             (3,  3)
[ 5] sgid=147   BSW     BSW_MC          (3, 53)
[ 6] sgid=119   MLSW    MLSW            (4,  4)
[ 7] sgid=119   MLSW    MLSW_MC         (4, 54)
[ 8] sgid=259   SCENE   SCENE_RSP       (5,  6)
[ 9] sgid=259   SCENE   SCENE_RSP_MC    (5, 56)

--- Status Callbacks ---
[ 0] 0x26/SWITCH_MULTILEVEL    id=0        path="level"

--- Control Callbacks ---

1 hour ago, brians said:

I have a few ZWave dimmers... a couple Z-Link ZL-PD100 and a Leviton DZPD3-2BW.

I also have Homebridge ISY setup on a RPi.

I noticed that the Z-Wave dimmers above do not seem to report their info correctly to UD Mobile or HomeBridge. They work fine in AC but I noticed I could not add a slider widget in UD Moble:

In UD Mobile, I am unable to see the pencil/edit icon in top right where it should be to link the On button... I honestly did not try this with Zooz ZWave dongle before so I am not sure. I have same issue with Leviton DZPD3-2BW with the icon missing as below picture.

IMG_9789.thumb.jpg.2f29462cd9f9bca6fd04cb2a58cb8d8e.jpg

Hi @brians,

The app currently does not support sliders for commands which require* multiple parameters.  This was also true with Zooz and 500 series.  The sliders are a recent addition and the same was reported but I have not had time to make a fix.

As for not updating, it looks as if the app has an off "0%" status.  Is this not updating when the device changes status?

*require:  I think both parameters are optional not required, so it should be possible. Just need some time.

1 hour ago, Javi said:

Hi @brians,

The app currently does not support sliders for commands which require* multiple parameters.  This was also true with Zooz and 500 series.  The sliders are a recent addition and the same was reported but I have not had time to make a fix.

As for not updating, it looks as if the app has an off "0%" status.  Is this not updating when the device changes status?

*require:  I think both parameters are optional not required, so it should be possible. Just need some time.

Ok thanks, it seems that HB/HK is a different unrelated issue, I am sure dimmers worked before and were detected in HK so probably just something with ZMatter in way it reports what a switch is. I am running an ancient version of ISY HK plugin, maybe will toubleshoot more (was able to make it show up for now at least by adding the scene - I don't include all scenes in HK).

I note now that in UD Mobile it shows the word parameters and I confirm that it updates to correct percentage when I adjust from AC and I can even enter a percentage in that parameter in UD Mobile and turns on light to that level, which also seems to set the default on level for this device. Below is same device in AC and I can enter a % (or previous value) and press the On button at top which will set the light's default to that percentage, but also turns the light on to that level. It correlates with UD Mobile parameters (actually there are dots in UD Mobile for the rest of them eg. Fade Up) now that I compare them.

However, there does not seem to be a way for this switch to set the default on level without having it first turn on to this level. Then subsequent off/on commands will turn it on to that level. I think the issue with making a slider, if possible to do, it would affect the next default on level to whatever the slider was last set at. My takeaway from all this is Zwave dimmers kinda suck! At least with ISY Scenes, are able to set the responder level using a Command, but the light still remembers its last value.

image.thumb.png.b658585a9376db15c706b2247f066ee9.png

Edited by brians
1 hour ago, brians said:

However, there does not seem to be a way for this switch to set the default on level without having it first turn on to this level. Then subsequent off/on commands will turn it on to that level. I think the issue with making a slider, if possible to do, it would affect the next default on level to whatever the slider was last set at. My takeaway from all this is Zwave dimmers kinda suck! At least with ISY Scenes, are able to set the responder level using a Command, but the light still remembers its last value.

I think it's possible to separate, or optionally select a single parameter of the 2 parameters, just a complex UI issue.  I ordered one of the same device to test. This could also allow scenes to set a single parameter.  We have a backlog of features so it may be a month or so, but It appears very possible. 

• 2 weeks later...

An update... I tried out the Node Server "Virtual"

I made a virtual switch, and a virtual dimmer.

In UD Mobile it is able to add a slider widget for the virtual dimmer.

I then use a varible to hold dim state and have a few programs that link it all together. Haven't really tested for race conditions yet but seems to work ok so far but I don't really think this is the best solution really.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 4.23.01 PM.png.png

Edited by brians