Support thread: IoX Release v5.5.3

Great job @Chris Jahn and @Michel Kohanim !

The migration went flawlessly! (had moved from my Polisy to Eisy a while ago, now moved from the zooz to the usb "matter" device.

I am now "cleaning up" my 30 or so devices.  At first blush they mostly showed up in one of two categories.  Either "normal" or "disabled".

My first one I started to play with because its in the same room as my eisy and its a wall switch which is in high use.  Its a GE ZW 500 series with switch and motion sensor.

I needed to enable it and then did a z-wave replace.  A few of the garbage nodes went away and it replaced with good switch, motion, scene responder, switch all, basic assoc.

My only issue is the motion node does not update even after the replace.

.....more info to come, but thanks to the whole team!!

btw: :  LOVED the hint to tail the log file & have been enjoying the x-ray feature.  Those are real informative.

Edited by sjenkins
51 minutes ago, sjenkins said:

My only issue is the motion node does not update even after the replace.

I've got a couple of those switches/motion sensors with the same issue.  Here's what it looks like in the Z-Wave log:

[2023-01-10 07:17:53.476] [D] [...] SETDATA devices.27.data.lastReceived = 0 (0x00000000)
[2023-01-10 07:17:53.476] [W] [...] Node 27:2 CC Alarm: Alarm event but interview is not complete
[2023-01-10 07:17:53.476] [E] [...] Error returned from (returnStatus = _zway_cc_call_handler(zway, instance, node_id, data[3], length - 4, &data[4])): Bad arguments (-1)

Very glad to hear that the migration went well.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jec6613 said:

After upgrading, I can't query or send commands to any Z-Wave devices.  Doing a Z-Wave X-Ray on DH All Devices and DH Controller give the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><RestResponse succeeded="false"><status>404</status></RestResponse>

Would you, please, update when you figure this out? This is pretty scary - don't want to upgrade until this gets sorted out. Do you have up to date Java Admin console? 

12 minutes ago, firstone said:

Would you, please, update when you figure this out? This is pretty scary - don't want to upgrade until this gets sorted out. Do you have up to date Java Admin console? 

I will update.  I've opened a support ticket and I do have an up to date Java AC.

Just spent the morning with my Zen77 switches.  I only have two which I bought during the Insteon scare & have hated them.

Post migration I am able to use them in scenes and use their scene or fast-up/down features just like Insteon.  They are not as fast as I am using them as responders or controllers in programs but they are now useable.  The range on the eisy is a tonne better than the old zooz usb.

Now moving onto my other z-wave devices - mostly moisture & temperature.  I have one motion sensor in a box.  Already documented my one issue with the GE switch/motion device which it looks like others have the same issue.

Wow, I'm not impressed any of these updates. It seems like everyone is easily impressed by a few functioning items or bug fixes on updates but there are major bugs with Zwave and the Zmatter Board.  I wait and pray with every update that my Devices are fixed and working again. Of the few Zooz devices that i do have, most are unusable (ZEN17 and Zen16 relays) because they have Nodes that are either not there or not working as listed in multiple other forum posts. The support on tickets has been nonexistent as of late, and before I'm bashed here, I realize they are busy with zmatter board , zmatter USB dongle, and EISY roll out, but I would expect some response from support "We are working on it" " a fix is coming soon" or "please be patient" etc. Maybe not an answer but some communication to the point.

Before the 5.5.0 rollout, my disasters started with 4.4.5 update that crashed my hard drive and needed replacement. Michel handled this very well sent out a replacement, I installed the zmatter board, the new hard drive and restored a backup and everything was back online. Because my system is still heavy Insteon and i only have a few important zwave devices (Garage Door status mainly) so I removed and re added them before the 5.5.0 update was released. I needed NO Zooz dongle to run my Zwave devices at this point, and the system was back online and all nodes were working. Every update since then has been a challenge except 5.5.3 which did nothing except add nodes to the ZEN 16 that do not work. 5.5.0 Looped when installed needed ssh interventon, then all z wave devices stopped working, on the 5.5.0 version there was no "Migrate to Zmatter" button it was a "Switch to zmatter button", that didnt fix anything all zwaves had to be removed/added again with no operational nodes or child devices listed in the tree, 5.5.2 did nothing but add a Migrate button that I didn't need because my devices were already added and working on the zmatter board and there was no dongle to migrate from. 

Even if the migration had worked, what good is it if most NEW zwave devices that you want to add later do not work properly. The Updates, the Zmatter board, and new hardware rollouts are supposed to move things forward and I feel that they have moved this platform backwards in this case. I realize these are BETA devices and accept there will be growing pains along the way

Thank you to everyone who has posted with Issues, advice, and fixes to help move this forward especially Michel and Chris @ Universal Devices who seem to have their hands full at this point

Sorry for the rant, I really do appreciate it all.

Josef

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, joembz said:

Sorry for the rant, I really do appreciate it all.

Josef

@joembzJosef,

Certainly understand the frustration and the rant ; we all need to vent sometimes.

I guess I look at the diy home automation a bit different.  We are using a beta product with the matter board (it's in the name) and therefore we are taking on a contract to help develop it beyond beta.  Part of us getting a product early is that we are taking on some responsibility to work it out.  I was "easily impressed" as I got my system back with my 30 or so z-waves in a state I could work with.  btw: :  I have about 60 Insteons, 30-zwave, & 20 YoLink, as well as home-made esp8266/32s going.

I KNOW this will not work out of the box; part of the fun is the ride IF your partner is working with you.  UD is a really good partner.  I have taken this ride with others (Eufy I'm looking at you) and have not had fun.

So, I know I look at this different but I do think UD is a good partner and deserves encouragement, and good data from us as we take this product from Beta to full production.

Stephen

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, sjenkins said:

@joembzJosef,

Certainly understand the frustration and the rant ; we all need to vent sometimes.

I guess I look at the diy home automation a bit different.  We are using a beta product with the matter board (it's in the name) and therefore we are taking on a contract to help develop it beyond beta.  Part of us getting a product early is that we are taking on some responsibility to work it out.  I was "easily impressed" as I got my system back with my 30 or so z-waves in a state I could work with.  btw: :  I have about 60 Insteons, 30-zwave, & 20 YoLink, as well as home-made esp8266/32s going.

I KNOW this will not work out of the box; part of the fun is the ride IF your partner is working with you.  UD is a really good partner.  I have taken this ride with others (Eufy I'm looking at you) and have not had fun.

So, I know I look at this different but I do think UD is a good partner and deserves encouragement, and good data from us as we take this product from Beta to full production.

Stephen

Stephen,

I do realize this is a beta device, and we need to invest time and effort into moving it forward----I sent logs and files that were requested but 6-7 days of ghosting from support isn't right, even a minimal response from them would work for me if the fix for me and others was in the works with upcoming updates. These devices worked in 4.4.5 with the zmatterboard BETA installed and the Zooz dongle removed, they were broken in the 5.5.0 + updates and have not been addressed with updates since. I have 5 zwave devices, 2-Zen16's 2-Zen17's and a Zen31 rgb led controller. Out of the 5 devices only the ZEN31 is usable. This is important and needs to be addressed with updates, but it seems a low priority for support

I updated successfully from IoX 5.5.2 to 5.5.3, but the Admin Console only launches from the LAN selection in IoX Launcher.  The Cloud version does not launch.  I cleared Java cache and downloaded the latest start.jnlp file.  Other than the Cloud issue, all seems normal with Insteon and Z-Wave devices.  I'll continue to test.

@Chris Jahn, I've seen this before in previous updates.

Z-wave is the devil. As much as manufactures say they follow the standards, there really are only loosely defined ideas. Each manufacturer can define what each register does and how it works or doesn't with other devices.

Manufactures of z-wave devices don't even have consistent specifications for their own products let alone interoperability with other manufactures.

What UDI is trying to do is add some stability and consistency to a technology that has no standards. It's going to be bumpy, but if they can tame Insteon without documentation and reverse engineer the technology, I have hope in their efforts to do something similar with z-wave.

Keep reporting issues and supplying logs. Michel and his band of dedicated miracle workers will get things sorted. It's just going to take a bit of time.

Edited by kzboray
  • Like 8
42 minutes ago, mbking said:

I updated successfully from IoX 5.5.2 to 5.5.3, but the Admin Console only launches from the LAN selection in IoX Launcher.  The Cloud version does not launch.  I cleared Java cache and downloaded the latest start.jnlp file.  Other than the Cloud issue, all seems normal with Insteon and Z-Wave devices.  I'll continue to test.

Same here.  Updated packages in eisy AC, went from 5.5.2 to 5.5.3.  Cleared Java cache, pulled new start.jnlp.  Can access AC only by selecting LAN in Launcher; Cloud selection doesn't seem to do anything.  But, unlike mbking's experience, this is the first time I've noticed this issue.

I haven't had a reply to my ticket yet, but just in case anybody has seen anything similar, this is in the ZWAY.LOG and seems interesting:

[admin@polisy ~]$  -- UDZWay - onIsyStartup() - initialize port - Start
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.173] [W] [isy] [ZMATTER-ZWAVE] Cannot convert port name [/dev/ttyu0] to cua
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.173] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU0] Start ZMatter Z-Wave port detection
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.583] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU0] Clearing serial data (6 bytes)
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.634] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU0] Requesting device information (1)
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.635] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU0] Unexpected reply, not ZMatter Z-Wave port
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.655] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU1] Start ZMatter Z-Wave port detection
[2023-01-10 13:31:34.029] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU1] Clearing serial data (21 bytes)
[2023-01-10 13:31:34.082] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU1] Requesting device information (1)
[2023-01-10 13:31:36.144] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU1] Requesting device information (2)
[2023-01-10 13:31:36.146] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU1] Unexpected reply length, not ZMatter Z-Wave port
[2023-01-10 13:31:36.148] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU2] Start ZMatter Z-Wave port detection
[2023-01-10 13:31:38.150] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU2] Requesting device information (1)
[2023-01-10 13:31:41.182] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU2] No reply, not ZMatter Z-Wave port
[2023-01-10 13:31:41.183] [I] [isy]
 -- UDZWay - onIsyStartup() - initialize port - Complete

1 hour ago, jec6613 said:

I haven't had a reply to my ticket yet, but just in case anybody has seen anything similar, this is in the ZWAY.LOG and seems interesting:

[admin@polisy ~]$  -- UDZWay - onIsyStartup() - initialize port - Start
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.173] [W] [isy] [ZMATTER-ZWAVE] Cannot convert port name [/dev/ttyu0] to cua
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.173] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU0] Start ZMatter Z-Wave port detection
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.583] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU0] Clearing serial data (6 bytes)
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.634] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU0] Requesting device information (1)
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.635] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU0] Unexpected reply, not ZMatter Z-Wave port
[2023-01-10 13:31:32.655] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU1] Start ZMatter Z-Wave port detection
[2023-01-10 13:31:34.029] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU1] Clearing serial data (21 bytes)
[2023-01-10 13:31:34.082] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU1] Requesting device information (1)
[2023-01-10 13:31:36.144] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU1] Requesting device information (2)
[2023-01-10 13:31:36.146] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU1] Unexpected reply length, not ZMatter Z-Wave port
[2023-01-10 13:31:36.148] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU2] Start ZMatter Z-Wave port detection
[2023-01-10 13:31:38.150] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU2] Requesting device information (1)
[2023-01-10 13:31:41.182] [I] [isy] [ZMATTER-DETECT-PORT|/dev/ttyU2] No reply, not ZMatter Z-Wave port
[2023-01-10 13:31:41.183] [I] [isy]
 -- UDZWay - onIsyStartup() - initialize port - Complete

This seems to be hardware/USB issue rather than iox firmware. I'd try to power down polisy and restart. Could be issue with a machine or could be issue with zmatter. If yours Is integrated and not USB, pulling the plug is probably the best way to restart it.

Am I right in understanding that Chris' instructions are for a migration on Polisy from Zooz to Zmatter or does it also apply to a migration to eisy ? In the latter case, should one first do a Zooz restore on eisy of a Polisy Zooz backup ?

Edited by asbril

I'm pretty sure that to go from Polisy/Zooz -> eISY/Zooz that you don't need any Z-Wave backup/migration, just IoX and PG3 backup and restore.  I am interested in doing this and have been reading the Wiki and Forums to gather bits and pieces of information for this process before jumping in.  This morning, I also did a Polisy IoX backup and restore to eISY and everything was there, but I did not move the Zooz or Insteon 2448A7 dongles.  Take a look at the attached and let me know what you think...

Polisy-To-eISY.pdf

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, firstone said:

This seems to be hardware/USB issue rather than iox firmware. I'd try to power down polisy and restart. Could be issue with a machine or could be issue with zmatter. If yours Is integrated and not USB, pulling the plug is probably the best way to restart it.

Yep, I tried pulling the plug. No change. It's integrated on Polisy. 

Edit: I suspect the board is stuck in some sort of unusual state given it was 100% OK until restarting ISY as part of the update, so more likely software.  Either way though, I'll report back.

Edited by jec6613

My current strategy is to keep my Polisy as the main working system and try to migrate to EISY and move to the EISY when it is stable.  My Polisy remains on 5.4.5 and my EISY is now on 5.5.3

So, with the new 5.5.3 version I thought I would try again.  

1. Go to the AC of EISY and Factory Reset
  2. Go to the AC on EISY and Update
  3. Purge Java files and update Launcher and restarted EISY and verified Firmware and AC were the same version.
  4. From a fresh copy of the Polisy backup restored the Polisy backup file to the EISY with the ZooZ z-wave plugged in.

I was able to get through step 4, but after that the "System Busy" box would come up again and take forever to go from 0 to 100 over and over again (Zooz USB still in) with system busy all the time.  At a high level it does look like it restored the devices, but every time I restart the EISY it still goes into the "System Busy" loop (Event Viewer shows it's last step as Refreshing Views).   At a high level, this is the same as it was before the update.  

3 hours ago, sjenkins said:

Just spent the morning with my Zen77 switches.  I only have two which I bought during the Insteon scare & have hated them.

Post migration I am able to use them in scenes and use their scene or fast-up/down features just like Insteon.  They are not as fast as I am using them as responders or controllers in programs but they are now useable.

I share your opinion.  I've got several Zen77 dimmers that I put in during a bathroom remodel that was completed during the Insteon "down time".  They work in Z-Wave scenes using the "Basic Assoc Only 2" nodes for on/off and "Basic Assoc Only 3" for dimming, but not as elegantly as Insteon hardware in scenes.  But, they're okay for now as they work...

If the new Insteon i3 dimmers work with UDI software, I'll replace the Zen77's with the new hardware.  Otherwise, I'll switch them out to the older paddle Insteon dimmers.

5 hours ago, mbking said:

Launching the Admin Console via the Cloud is working now.

3 hours ago, ISY4Me said:

I was able to get through step 4, but after that the "System Busy" box would come up again and take forever to go from 0 to 100 over and over again (Zooz USB still in) with system busy all the time.  At a high level it does look like it restored the devices, but every time I restart the EISY it still goes into the "System Busy" loop (Event Viewer shows it's last step as Refreshing Views).   At a high level, this is the same as it was before the update.

I saw the exact same thing (never ending system busy) after only doing a restore of IoX on the eISY (with no PLM or Zooz stick plugged in) - I didn't do the PG3 restore yet - so it wasn't just me - that's why I'm being cautious with the small step of trying to go from Polisy/Zooz to eISY/Zooz so that I can revert to my Polisy if eISY doesn't work - BTW - for me, the Polisy is stable with the 5.5.3 IoX update

Edited by JTsao