ISY on Polisy Pro - New PLM

TimWing

I had a semi-working system with my 2413S PLM (v2.2) but had a several devices that would not update their status. I just received a refurbished 2413S PLM (V2.0) back from Insteon with components replaced and passed the PLM test program. I am in the process of putting it into service and have performed the following steps.....

- I shut down my Polisy and unplugged from wall receptacle

- Unplugged my old PLM and disconnected the serial cable (RJ-45)

- Plugged serial cable (RJ-45) into refurbished PLM

- Plugged PLM into wall receptacle

- Plugged Polisy into wall receptacle

Once logged into the Administrative Console, I selected File > Restore Modem (PLM)

Stared at the "System Busy" progress bar while "Cannot Communicate With...." errors for each device popped up. Once the progress bar went away I have 23 Insteon devices with red exclamation marks. Only the Z-Wave devices work but I suppose this is because they do not communicate via the PLM.

2-8-2023_003.png.c76ac44248620f5e1e8e19b9e7abee27.png

Selecting Tools > Diagnostics > PLM Info/Status does show the correct (refurbished) PLM and it's correct address as connected.

image.png.4e937752012a78ffe40875d9ca361741.png

Any suggestions what I may have done wrong or how I can fix this?

image.png.f1bcf320ec6379a9995bb24e3ebc95b8.png

Edited by TimWing

@TimWing I'm not sure if it caused this, but your screenshot in your first post seemed to have "Automatically Write Changes to Devices" turned off as well. You only need the write to battery option turned off when you restore the PLM. Part of the process is to write the updated PLM information to the other devices. 

Wiki steps - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu

See "Restore PLM" on that page.

I would suggest turning "Automatically Write Changes to Devices" back on, but leave the battery off and try Restore PLM again. I think trying to restore the device failed because it's (probably) looking for the PLM at the old link/address because the Restore PLM process didn't send the command out to the devices to update the new PLM address/links.

image.png

Did you have a backup from before you started this? (probably not needed, but just checking if you had a recent backup in case you need to restore it and try again.)

• Like 1
18 hours ago, TimWing said:

I had a semi-working system with my 2413S PLM (v2.2) but had a several devices that would not update their status. I just received a refurbished 2413S PLM (V2.0) back from Insteon with components replaced and passed the PLM test program. I am in the process of putting it into service and have performed the following steps.....

- - - - 

Once logged into the Administrative Console, I selected File > Restore Modem (PLM)

Stared at the "System Busy" progress bar while "Cannot Communicate With...." errors for each device popped up. Once the progress bar went away I have 23 Insteon devices with red exclamation marks. Only the Z-Wave devices work but I suppose this is because they do not communicate via the PLM.

Selecting Tools > Diagnostics > PLM Info/Status does show the correct (refurbished) PLM and it's correct address as connected.

Any suggestions what I may have done wrong or how I can fix this?

Hi Tim. Could you please keep this post updated as you work through your PLM issue? I suspect a lot of people will find this info helpful come April....

THANKS TimWing!

Thank you all for the suggestions!

@Geddy I originally tried with "Automatically write changes to devices" on (Selected) and received "Cannot communicate with....." for each device. The pic I posted was from a later attempt without it selected.

@Techman Regarding factory reset of PLM. With the PLM unplugged from serial (RJ-45) & the wall receptacle, I held the black "Set" button on the side of the PLM while plugging into the wall receptacle holding the button until the red led went out. I then plugged the serial cable into the PLM and powered the Polisy. I did a restore PLM and same results as before.

This is quite frustrating. I restored my last backup made with the old PLM and after Polisy restarted and I logged into the Administrative Console and selected File > Restore Modem (PLM).

Can anyone tell me why the Event Viewer shows the same two encouraging lines for each device yet none of the devices work?

image.thumb.png.35dc3fe7decff4bdd08bafbba66074d0.png

17 minutes ago, TimWing said:

This is quite frustrating. I restored my last backup made with the old PLM and after Polisy restarted and I logged into the Administrative Console and selected File > Restore Modem (PLM).

Can anyone tell me why the Event Viewer shows the same two encouraging lines for each device yet none of the devices work?

image.thumb.png.35dc3fe7decff4bdd08bafbba66074d0.png

Try right clicking each device and select restore device 

I am back on the old PLM plugged into the same outlet it has always been plugged into and all is working. Picture below.

I am now convinced that there may be something wrong with the PLM even though it was just repaired. I will write Insteon to see what help they can provide.

image.thumb.png.103be10cd9eb01428b31bf5db98943cd.png

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...