PG3x minor release?

JTsao

I heard via an open ticket, that there was an update a couple of days ago that might fix the node server problem in PG3x, but I can't find anything verifying this - I updated the eISY via the update button but the revisions of IoX (5.5.5) and PG3x (3.1.22) are still the same - logging in to eISY, I see via pkg info -a that the versions are udx 3.3.6, pg3x 3.1.22_3 and isy 5.5.5_2 - can someone explain how to figure out if there was a minor update and where the release notes are?

This is on my eisy:

I can't tell you when the updates were released to the repositories, but PG3x was upgraded on my machine to 3.1.22_3 on Feb. 8th in the afternoon.

Again, on my machine only, IoX was upgraded from 5.5.5_1 to 5.5.5_2 on the morning of Feb. 6th.

I never saw any release notes, so I don't know if anything interesting to the user community was fixed/changes.  The updates could simply be due to compatibility reasons with other packages.  UDX gets fairly frequent updates, and I've never seen release notes for that.  I suspect UDI prefers to keep that secret sauce to itself.

I guess that confirms that there was an update earlier this week

It might be useful to have a thread where users can update each other on what versions they are running and if there are any issues:

I've got eisy: udx 3.3.6, pg3x 3.1.22_3, isy 5.5.5_2 and Polisy: udx 3.3.5_4, pg3 3.1.17, isy 5.5.5_1

My eisy is experimental at this point and my Polisy needs to be working - is anyone running anything newer on their Polisy?

I don't believe any of the UDI components were updated. Some of the packages were updated, but the underlying components themselves were not. (Although maybe UDX was changed slightly)

For example package pg3x-3.1.22_3 is simply a new package build of pg3x version 3.1.22, there aren't any changes to PG3x.

The problem with PG3x wasn't actually PG3x.  It was/is a bug in the language PG3x is written in -- Node.js.  A new version of Node.js was released and a bug in that is what caused PG3x to fail to start random node servers.  The latest updates from UDI are supposed to force PG3 and PG3x to use the older version of Node.js that doesn't have the bug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, bpwwer said:

I don't believe any of the UDI components were updated. Some of the packages were updated, but the underlying components themselves were not. (Although maybe UDX was changed slightly)

For example package pg3x-3.1.22_3 is simply a new package build of pg3x version 3.1.22, there aren't any changes to PG3x.

The problem with PG3x wasn't actually PG3x.  It was/is a bug in the language PG3x is written in -- Node.js.  A new version of Node.js was released and a bug in that is what caused PG3x to fail to start random node servers.  The latest updates from UDI are supposed to force PG3 and PG3x to use the older version of Node.js that doesn't have the bug.

@bpwwer, Does that mean we should be doing an update now and node servers that won't start should all work after the update?

Edit: After reading the board, it appears many more users are experiencing problems after attempting an upgrade.

Edited by DennisC
Added info
25 minutes ago, DennisC said:

@bpwwer, Does that mean we should be doing an update now and node servers that won't start should all work after the update?

Edit: After reading the board, it appears many more users are experiencing problems after attempting an upgrade.

Don't update... I just did a Update Packages in UDAC 2 hours ago and now it's in limbo. Was already on the 5.5.5 boat with the isy-5.5.5_1 and did the Update Package in hopes to get this so called "minor" release isy-5.5.5_2 and it's stuck in limbo ever since.

image.png.fcc62af709e818f0100e9f2e561bab1b.png

I have no idea if it even updated to isy-5.5.5_2 and just letting it do it's thing (whatever that is) in hopes it fixes itself. I don't want shell in or anything. I'll give it another hour and I'm pulling it's plug. Then I'm going to re-evaluate this company.

Sure hope the Super Bowl isn't more important than a reliable product.

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N

I can't really add much.  I tried upgrading yesterday and same thing.  I believe it is UDX that is hanging while doing the upgrade and it never finishes, leaving things in a state where IoX and PG3 don't work.  My development system is currently in this state.

I poked around a bit but I don't know how all of the upgrade process works and wasn't able to find any quick work-a-around.

7 hours ago, bpwwer said:

I can't really add much.  I tried upgrading yesterday and same thing.  I believe it is UDX that is hanging while doing the upgrade and it never finishes, leaving things in a state where IoX and PG3 don't work.  My development system is currently in this state.

I poked around a bit but I don't know how all of the upgrade process works and wasn't able to find any quick work-a-around.

Thanks.

How about the issue with PG3x and node servers not starting, are you close to a fix?

27 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Thanks.

How about the issue with PG3x and node servers not starting, are you close to a fix?

That's what the upgrade was supposed to fix.  It's not a bug in PG3x but in one of the FreeBSD packages that it depends on.  The "upgrade" was suppose to downgrade that package.

33 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

That's what the upgrade was supposed to fix.  It's not a bug in PG3x but in one of the FreeBSD packages that it depends on.  The "upgrade" was suppose to downgrade that package.

Maybe it was but was missing a yes/no prompt bypass. I did the Upgrade Packages yesterday from isy-5.5.5_1 to is-5.5.5_2 and it hung for hours till I decided to reboot and then go through logs to confirm the mongo-c-driver problem. Made a snapshot of the eisy for backup and preformed the -f Downgrade on mongo-c-driver and everything came back online. Not sure if UD even uses the MongoDB but, that did indeed fix it. Maybe something with the credentials changed if MongoDB is used. 

Which makes me wonder if I should hook a monitor up to the eisy just to see if a prompt appears there in the future when things hang. 

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N