Accessing ISY994 Console

snazareth

Hello,

My ISY994 with Insteon installation has been stable for a long time.  However, recently, I wanted to get back into the "console" application. However, all my computers with Java on them have been retired.  For security reasons, I don't intend to install java on my "existing" mac computers, I attempted to create a Debian Virtual Machine in parallels to run the console.  This way, I can take the machine (and java) offline by just not running the VM.

I successfully setup the VM (just using the default Ubuntu image from parallels), did an "sudo apt install icedtea-netx" to install the javaws support.  I then downloaded the IoX Launcher.jnlp from ISY.  I've verified that I can run "java -version", and I get a response showing that "openjdk-11" is installed.  However, I seem to have problems actually launching the console from the .jnlp file.  The launcher does run and show the ISY device, but I cannot actually bring up the console.

The ISY finder finds the ISY, but I cannot "launch" the console.  I get a security pop-up warning to approve, but I'm unable to click the "OK" button.  After the attempt, no other buttons in the ISY finder are responsive.

Can someone share any info on how to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Sean

I'm not a Mac user so this likely won't be much help.  But are you installing the correct Java version?  The Admin console is designed for Java 8.  With Java the number after the word Java isn't a latest and greatest version number, the number instead denotes different distributions for various reasons.  From an error message I'm guessing you're perhaps installing Java 11, its not that you can't get that to work, perhaps it can be made to work, but away from Java 8 you'll need to know what you're doing with java.

@MrBill,

I was hoping for a solution that would work for Linux, rather than a MAC or WINDOWS solution.  With linux, I can install java8, but then that doesn't have java web start (javaws).  Trying to install javaws (IcedTea-netx)  automatically upgrades java to java11.

Javaws is what enables you to run the .jnlp file to launch the console.

--Sean

33 minutes ago, snazareth said:

I was hoping for a solution that would work for Linux

Well, if you're able to do all that you're doing and running Linux on a Mac then just google how to run jnlp files on java v8 for linux. 

Don't know if it works, but better than nothing. You've got to figure large majority of users here will be Windows or Mac users that don't dabble in linux. I'm sure the vocal linux users will chime in to say I'm wrong, but whatever, you're all |33+. 

I'm not sure why the aversion of just installing java to use to gain access to the system. It's not like you're some of these that sit with admin console open endlessly tweaking/watching/monitoring the system. Just install Java, access admin console to make your changes, clear java cache then delete the install. You've added a million steps to try to avoid the simple process. 

Hope you get it sorted out!

17 hours ago, snazareth said:

@MrBill,

I was hoping for a solution that would work for Linux, rather than a MAC or WINDOWS solution.  With linux, I can install java8, but then that doesn't have java web start (javaws).  Trying to install javaws (IcedTea-netx)  automatically upgrades java to java11.

Javaws is what enables you to run the .jnlp file to launch the console.

Sean I have  no additional solutions for you.  I know nothing about running java under linux.  As @Geddy mentions, i'm not sure any of the forum regulars do.