Polisy - Support thread for: PG3 v3.1.18 and v3.1.19 (February 24, 2023)

Is there a way to upgrade to this version without upgrading Polisy/IoP to 5.5.7 at the same time?

Right now, I believe if I do as instructed, i.e.

In the Admin Console, click on Configuration, Upgrade Packages 

I will be upgrading Polisy to 5.5.7. Would like to wait until there are fewer bugs in 5.5.x branch. Also, given I'm still at 5.4.5, I expect it will likely take a loooong time to update. Need to plan for the outage and the possible hands on tech support needed afterwards.

42 minutes ago, johnnyt said:

Is there a way to upgrade to this version without upgrading Polisy/IoP to 5.5.7 at the same time?

Right now, I believe if I do as instructed, i.e.

I will be upgrading Polisy to 5.5.7. Would like to wait until there are fewer bugs in 5.5.x branch. Also, given I'm still at 5.4.5, I expect it will likely take a loooong time to update. Need to plan for the outage and the possible hands on tech support needed afterwards.

Yes, running the package upgrade will upgrade everything to the latest versions.  This is what UDI has recommended, but I understand your hesitation.

It is possible to limit what gets updated using the command line tools but this may cause other issues either now or with later upgrades which is why it isn't recommended.

sudo pkg update

sudo pkg install pg3 

However, installing the latest PG3 may also pull in other dependencies which may or may not work with the existing versions of packages on your system.

You may be better off sticking with the version of PG3 that you have until you're ready to do the full upgrade. 

• Like 1

Ok, maybe I've had a few wobbewy pops tonight, but I think my Polisy and ISY994i have mated and produced an offspring...
  The upgrade seemed to go fine, and after logging into PG3 I tried the Auto-Discover ISY's button. To my surprise, there are now 3 listed instead of the previous 2 I've always had. I'm quite confident that I only have 2 in use and connected to my network. It lists my 994 at being at 5.3.4, then my Polisy Pro at 5.5.7, then a mystery device at 5.4.5 ??

Clearly I'm missing some bit of info on this subject and you're all laughing at me now?

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, ShawnW said:

Ok, maybe I've had a few wobbewy pops tonight, but I think my Polisy and ISY994i have mated and produced an offspring...
  The upgrade seemed to go fine, and after logging into PG3 I tried the Auto-Discover ISY's button. To my surprise, there are now 3 listed instead of the previous 2 I've always had. I'm quite confident that I only have 2 in use and connected to my network. It lists my 994 at being at 5.3.4, then my Polisy Pro at 5.5.7, then a mystery device at 5.4.5 ??

Clearly I'm missing some bit of info on this subject and you're all laughing at me now?

Most likely the Polisy IoX was already in the database with 5.4.5 firmware and then when you upgraded it got added again with the updated firmware.

I'm about ready to remove the auto-detect option as there's almost no reason to ever use it.

On 2/25/2023 at 1:39 PM, bpwwer said:

Most likely the Polisy IoX was already in the database with 5.4.5 firmware and then when you upgraded it got added again with the updated firmware.

I'm about ready to remove the auto-detect option as there's almost no reason to ever use it.

I probably should have included this in my original, but @bpwwer does it make sense that the 3 ISY's listed all had different 'serial' numbers (whatever we call the 12-digit #) ? 

THANKS!

Maybe.  The i994 UUID was the same as the ethernet port mac address.  But with the Polisy having 3 network interfaces (and the pro having wifi too) which mac address is used as the UUID?  The eisy has 2 mac address so same thing.  I don't know how it determines which mac address (and I'm assuming it still uses one of them) is the UUID.  PG3(x) simply queries the running IoX instance to get the UUID.  It's possible that how the UUID is determined has changed over time too, I just don't know.  But that could explain why there's a phantom UUID in the database.

I'm on a Polisy.  I pushed the button in the Admin Console for "Upgrade Packages".  Now I can't get a stable PG3.  It keeps cycling between "Connected"  and "Not connected to server...Try refreshing the page. This will disappear once the connection is re-established." in a red banner.  The cycle feels like 30-45 seconds or so.

PG3 Version 3.1.18

Frontend Version 3.1.18

ISY Version  5.5.7

UI 5.5.7

No amount of rebooting ISY and/or PG3 makes any difference.  I've allowed plenty of time after reboots before logging into ISY and PG3.  I've tried unplugging the Polisy and waiting awhile before plugging back in, but get the same result.

9 hours ago, carealtor said:

I'm on a Polisy.  I pushed the button in the Admin Console for "Upgrade Packages".  Now I can't get a stable PG3.  It keeps cycling between "Connected"  and "Not connected to server...Try refreshing the page. This will disappear once the connection is re-established." in a red banner.  The cycle feels like 30-45 seconds or so.

PG3 Version 3.1.18

Frontend Version 3.1.18

ISY Version  5.5.7

UI 5.5.7

No amount of rebooting ISY and/or PG3 makes any difference.  I've allowed plenty of time after reboots before logging into ISY and PG3.  I've tried unplugging the Polisy and waiting awhile before plugging back in, but get the same result.

Not sure if you will have sufficient time to try this, but when you are connected, can you try restart PG3? If it still happens, check PG3 log.

1 hour ago, wrj0 said:

Upgrade to IoX 5.5.7 and PG3 3.1.18 went smoothly following release notes procedure, including a Polisy power cycle then a PG3 restart.  Well done, developers.

Same here - All devices and routines running very well.  I'm very pleased with my Polisy and ZMatter board since replacing the ZooZ Dongle at the beginning of the month.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, carealtor said:

Okay, I hit "Restart Polyglot 3" and gave it plenty of time and then logged in.  Still the same.  Log attached.

pg3_2-26-2023_93207-AM.zip 564.7 kB · 2 downloads

The log shows that PG3 is crashing shortly after starting which is what I suspected from your initial post.   It's crashing with a host unreachable error, but the host looks like a IP v6 address so it's not clear what host it is trying to connect to.

error: uncaughtException: connect EHOSTUNREACH 2606:50c0:8000::154:443

Based on where it crashed, I'm guessing it was either trying to check for updates to the node servers or trying to check the licenses.

Prior to this it was able to connect to the node server store without any issues so it isn't a general connectivity problem. I haven't seen this particular issue so I'm not sure if it's because of IPv6 or something else.

If you can, switch the log level to debug before it disconnects and then download the log after it re-connects.  I think that would tell me if it was the license check or not.

1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

The log shows that PG3 is crashing shortly after starting which is what I suspected from your initial post.   It's crashing with a host unreachable error, but the host looks like a IP v6 address so it's not clear what host it is trying to connect to.

error: uncaughtException: connect EHOSTUNREACH 2606:50c0:8000::154:443

Based on where it crashed, I'm guessing it was either trying to check for updates to the node servers or trying to check the licenses.

Prior to this it was able to connect to the node server store without any issues so it isn't a general connectivity problem. I haven't seen this particular issue so I'm not sure if it's because of IPv6 or something else.

If you can, switch the log level to debug before it disconnects and then download the log after it re-connects.  I think that would tell me if it was the license check or not.

Before trying anything else, I decided to reboot my router to see if that would help.  It SEEMS as though it has.  I've been watching PG3 for more than a few minutes and haven't seen the red banner with the disconnect message.  Fingers crossed.  I would be happy to run a log if you still want to see it.

20 hours ago, bpwwer said:

Maybe.  The i994 UUID was the same as the ethernet port mac address.  But with the Polisy having 3 network interfaces (and the pro having wifi too) which mac address is used as the UUID?  The eisy has 2 mac address so same thing.  I don't know how it determines which mac address (and I'm assuming it still uses one of them) is the UUID.  PG3(x) simply queries the running IoX instance to get the UUID.  It's possible that how the UUID is determined has changed over time too, I just don't know.  But that could explain why there's a phantom UUID in the database.

Thanks @bpwwer - that answers a lot of questions for me. The phantom UUID in the database was the older one with the unrecognizable UUID and old IoX version - I deleted that one. The "new" one that appeared when I hit the 'Auto Discover ISY's' button has the correct IoX version 5.5.7 and the "correct" UUID (ie the serial number printed on the bottom of my Polisy). So the Auto-Discover button worked correctly. 

Thanks!

Following the instructions, the upgrade worked for me and the .18 version and 5.5.7 came up just fine. After that just to be sure I was launching off a clean slate, I rebooted the Polisy. After that, PG2 and PG3 come up, but ISY seems hosed. Looking at the debug.log I see:

129:initPolyglot())
2023-02-27 14:55:32 - Error|    udx [T:34389175808] failed retrieving creds from udx. Retry 29 (../src/udx/UDXComm.cpp@129:initPolyglot())
2023-02-27 14:55:34 - Error|    udx [T:34389175808] failed retrieving creds from udx. Retry 30 (../src/udx/UDXComm.cpp@129:initPolyglot())
2023-02-27 14:55:36 - Error|    udx [T:34389175808] failed retrieving creds from udx. Retry 31 (../src/udx/UDXComm.cpp@129:initPolyglot())

Eventually it gives up and says it's bailing out and that the client failed to initialize

I have tried 

• sudo pkg install -r udi pkg
  • sudo /usr/local/etc/udx.d/static/udxops.sh upgrade.polisy

Both don't show any more changes are required.

Something does seem to be running though as I have a startup program in ISY that seems to run as it sends me an SMS saying it ran and that it concluded. However, nothing else seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas on what's up? Thank you for any pointers. This is the second upgrade mess I seem to have got myself in after the upgrade to 5.5.x. I am losing confidence in my ability to do upgrades in spite of trying my hardest to follow the steps exactly.

I am running Polisy with a ZMatter board inside of it.

1 minute ago, AKAPADIA said:

Following the instructions, the upgrade worked for me and the .18 version and 5.5.7 came up just fine. After that just to be sure I was launching off a clean slate, I rebooted the Polisy. After that, PG2 and PG3 come up, but ISY seems hosed. Looking at the debug.log I see:

129:initPolyglot())
2023-02-27 14:55:32 - Error|    udx [T:34389175808] failed retrieving creds from udx. Retry 29 (../src/udx/UDXComm.cpp@129:initPolyglot())
2023-02-27 14:55:34 - Error|    udx [T:34389175808] failed retrieving creds from udx. Retry 30 (../src/udx/UDXComm.cpp@129:initPolyglot())
2023-02-27 14:55:36 - Error|    udx [T:34389175808] failed retrieving creds from udx. Retry 31 (../src/udx/UDXComm.cpp@129:initPolyglot())

Eventually it gives up and says it's bailing out and that the client failed to initialize

I have tried 

• sudo pkg install -r udi pkg
  • sudo /usr/local/etc/udx.d/static/udxops.sh upgrade.polisy

Both don't show any more changes are required.

Something does seem to be running though as I have a startup program in ISY that seems to run as it sends me an SMS saying it ran and that it concluded. However, nothing else seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas on what's up? Thank you for any pointers. This is the second upgrade mess I seem to have got myself in after the upgrade to 5.5.x. I am losing confidence in my ability to do upgrades in spite of trying my hardest to follow the steps exactly.

I am running Polisy with a ZMatter board inside of it.

I would suggest powering off Polisy, waiting a few minutes, and then plugging it back in.

Be sure to wait 10 - 15 minutes before logging in.

Try to remember, the only way you should be upgrading is with the update packages button on the configuration page.

Thanks @DennisC. Tried the shutdown (safely, thru the portal). Waited 10 minutes before plugging back in. Haven't logged in but the debug.log still showing the same error message. 

To be clear, I did do the upgrade using the admin console "Upgrade Packages". It's only after the reboot that hosed things did I try the sudo pkg install commands, because there didn't seem any other way to retry the upgrade.

Even before this, I've tried both reboot and shutdown several times, to no avail.

1 hour ago, AKAPADIA said:

Thanks @DennisC. Tried the shutdown (safely, thru the portal). Waited 10 minutes before plugging back in. Haven't logged in but the debug.log still showing the same error message. 

To be clear, I did do the upgrade using the admin console "Upgrade Packages". It's only after the reboot that hosed things did I try the sudo pkg install commands, because there didn't seem any other way to retry the upgrade.

Even before this, I've tried both reboot and shutdown several times, to no avail.

You should probably open a support ticket with UD. 

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets/

You can try rebooting your router and if the problem still exists, try signing in to the UD portal and see if it shows you off line and the status of your license.

1 hour ago, residualimages said:

Is there a delay required between issuing ratings on a Node Server in the store?
I rated one, but then seem unable to rate anything else so far.

No, there shouldn't be.  It should allow you to rate anything that shows up on your Purchases page.

I do see that a number of folks have rated multiple node servers.

20 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

rate anything that shows up on your Purchases page

Ah, I will say I rated the first one through the Store -> Details page, as I had not gone to the Purchases page and therefore had not seen the "Rate it!" column. 
image.png.df7239232b25643262ba2feb8ee08f10.png

Now I see I have no issues rating multiple NS from the Purchases page.
You know, like the update post page says to do. 🤭

Edited by residualimages