Support Thread: 5.3.4 (ISY994)

Techman

12 hours ago, RaptorSVT10 said:

I purchased a polisy a long time ago, still new in the box. I guess i can now give it a run.

Good luck with that. I hear it's a lot of fun to "play" with. Having just started with the Polisy too I can say it's a neat addition to the ISY. The nodeservers have been developed by some very talented people. It's a great addition to run with the ISY.

As @MrBill points out the directions did cover the password reset. Be sure you reset it to something different.

Double check all your programs in the summary tab to be sure they're running. Another thing I found when I upgraded to 5.3.4 (also from 4.9) was some disabled programs became enabled again. So if you made a copy of the programs folder to a text file before the upgrade (which I think it also in the directions, or at the very least in many suggestions people have added in other threads) check which ones were disabled before and make sure they are still disabled. 

• Like 2

I'd like to know how an owner of ISY knows which "Z-Wave" series is contained inside the case ?

While I dont have any Z-Wave modules today, I am considering purchasing ... but I cant find any thread that clearly provides owner's a definitive answer on how to identify which version they own.

I purchased a ISY994IZW+IRPRO which was sold with V4.7x ... I have upgraded to 5.3.0 

Reading ABOUT, Product shows

ISY 994i/IR PRO (1110)

- OpenADR (21010)   whatever this is ??

- Z-Wave (21100)

So before I upgrade, could someone provide a method to identify Z-Wave 300 verses 500

================================================================

Like always, I find it after I post my question 

Go to Z-Wave > Z-wave version in the admin console

Series 300 z-wave will show as version 4.55.00 the last compatible firmware is 5.0.16C (and you can order the upgrade to go to Series 500)

Series 500 Z-wave will show as version 6.81.00 you can use the latest and greatest is 5.3.3 (even tho it's labeled 'test build' go ahead, it's been out for awhile and no one has reported major issues yet things have been fixed since 5.3.0)

Edited March 31 by MrBill

Edited by jim_
  • Like 4

I upgraded my ISY994i pro(upgrade) from 4.9.something to 5.0.3 and then to 5.3.4.  Neither of the "5." Versions would run any of the programs. Java memory was increased to 1024.  In the summary of the programs both columns (not loaded and out of memory) are yellow.  Also all of the are enabled in this summary page even if I disable them in the program editing page. But when I come out of and back to the editing page each disabled program is enabled again.  They do not run.  I did the upgrades to 5.3.4 to be able to use the UD Mobile app. The app runs very well.  I am out of ideas as to what to do as I have tried everything that I can find about this problem in the forums.

thanks,

Mike

19 minutes ago, Mmilan said:

I upgraded my ISY994i pro(upgrade) from 4.9.something to 5.0.3 and then to 5.3.4.  Neither of the "5." Versions would run any of the programs. Java memory was increased to 1024.  In the summary of the programs both columns (not loaded and out of memory) are yellow.  Also all of the are enabled in this summary page even if I disable them in the program editing page. But when I come out of and back to the editing page each disabled program is enabled again.  They do not run.  I did the upgrades to 5.3.4 to be able to use the UD Mobile app. The app runs very well.  I am out of ideas as to what to do as I have tried everything that I can find about this problem in the forums.

thanks,

Mike

The most common two problems for symptoms as described:  

1. Mismatched firmware and UI versions... CHeck Help | About in the admin console, those two versions must match exactly.
  2. Programs that use the feature "Adjust Scene" will need to be manually fixed, they will NOT convert automatically from V4 to V5.

For #1, if you're using windows clear the java cache and use The Launcher, although that will work in most cases on the Mac as well, it's probably less hassle to use older instructions to get the most current version of the admin console installed.

Edited by MrBill
17 minutes ago, Mmilan said:

I did clear the Java cache, used ISY finder to launch, Java launcher came up as usual, used it to launch Adiministrative Console, and still have firmware ver: 5.3.4 and UI ver: 4.7.5.  I am missing something then as to how to update the UI.

Finder and Launcher are not the same thing.  Are you using windows?  if so clear your java cache and click this link, this first time this runs it will install an icon on your desktop called ISY Launcherimage.png.09e8ff082f615a6fe5e2329c1ce5b356.png, use that to open the admin console.  Choose "Cloud" when you get to that step after Finder opens.   Do not click a link ending in /admin.jnlp

The launcher was specifically created to help end the problem of mismatched firmware and UI.

• Thanks 1
On 9/8/2021 at 7:03 PM, RaptorSVT10 said:

FWIW: I upgraded from 4.x (maybe 4.9).... today to 5.3.4

Followed the instructions. Went thru no problem. The only thing that stumped me for a moment was my logon and password.

I tried: "admin".. and "my password" three of four times.. But no good. So i walked away. Came back and tried "admin" "admin" and i'm in.

So i figured i was starting from the ground up.... but not the case. All my programs are there... So it looks good so far.

I mainly use the isy as an enhancer to an Elk M1 install. But i use the network resources for all kinds of stuff too.

I purchased a polisy a long time ago, still new in the box. I guess i can now give it a run.

Be sure to check any scenes or programs that you have as they may need to be manually updated

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's firmware upgrade related, but when I try going on to the Programs tab, the progress bar churns and hangs at 'Create Scene Widgets', and eventually the console / jp2launcher closes out.  

I've done all the usual of clearing the java cache and applications, and launching the ISY launcher and ISY console (cloud) via the steps mentioned above..  (Verified firmware and UI are 5.3.4)

EDIT : Added runtime parameter -Xmx512m  and now I can see the programs.  

Edited by e40
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, 60Driver said:

Upgraded from 5.2.0 to 5.3.4 and now the ISY994i will only start in safe mode.  I have rebooted and tried reinstalling 5.3.4 again.  Still having the same issue.  Looking for ideas on the next step, remove SD Card or Factory Reset?

Safe mode means the ISY is not communicating with the PLM. Remove power from both the PLM and the ISY, then power up the PLM, wait about 15 seconds then power up the ISY.  If the problem still exists check you cable between the ISY and PLM.

What leds on the ISY are on?

After the update did you clear your Java cache and its applications and then download the ISY finder? Your firmware and UI MUST be the same version.

Edited by Techman
3 hours ago, Techman said:

Safe mode means the ISY is not communicating with the PLM. Remove power from both the PLM and the ISY, then power up the PLM, wait about 15 seconds then power up the ISY.  If the problem still exists check you cable between the ISY and PLM.

What leds on the ISY are on?

After the update did you clear your Java cache and its applications and then download the ISY finder? Your firmware and UI MUST be the same version.

I am using Z-Wave not INSTEON, so based on my understanding, I don't have a PLM.  The only light on the ISY is the power light.

Cache was cleared and the ISY finder was downloaded and the UI shows 5.4.3.  Admin console launches fine.  Then says ISY is in safe mode.

5 minutes ago, 60Driver said:

I am using Z-Wave not INSTEON, so based on my understanding, I don't have a PLM.  The only light on the ISY is the power light.

Cache was cleared and the ISY finder was downloaded and the UI shows 5.4.3.  Admin console launches fine.  Then says ISY is in safe mode.

Did download this firmware? This what you need if you don't use a PLM.

ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM)

54 minutes ago, 60Driver said:

In addition to what dbuss suggested, If you have the 300 series Zwave dongle then the ISY will not support firmware higher than 5.0.16

If you have the 500 series dongle then you can use the latest firmware, 5.3.4

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Upgraded this weekend from 4.9.0 to 5.3.4.  Read everything in preparation, cleared out the kitchen and dove in.  It was as complex and suprising as I expected.  95 Zwave devices took about 20 hours of work to get them back.  A few big takeaways:

1) Instructions for increasing JRE memory are not acceptable, so I didn't do it until later and I spent many hours dealing with slow interface.  "Add -Xmx512m" to the parameter list needs to be replaced with pictures and arrows pointing exactly where these values should go.  I am now using "-Xmx1024m" and it works great.

2) You MUST make a text copy of all your programs AND make a text listing of your Zwave devices and their addresses.  I didn't have a listing of my Zwave addresses and that added many hours to the process.

3) Battery devices are a total PITA.  Getting them into a communication state and keeping them there is not possible based on what I know.  I wish I got all of them out on a table beforehand and put them into a permanent state of communication ON.  So all of the the battery devices showed up with a Red Slash through them.

4) More clarification on "Full Backup" vs "Normal Backup" for zwave would have been good.  I went with "Full" and it tried to bring back every device I have ever included/excluded over a 6 year period.  This added many hours to sort through.

5) All battery device callouts in programs got removed.  All programs were set to "Enabled".  This added many hours to fix.

Having said all this, the upgrade is very nice.  Performance is faster from sensor to switch, the delays are minimal.  All that Zwave Plus good stuff is supported and works like it should.

• Like 1

heardc,

Do you have the 300 or 500 series zwave dongle?  

5.3.4 does not support the 300 series Zwave. It sounds like you have the 300 series dongle as the backup with the 500 series only has one option, the 300 series had two options

For a record of all your devices with addresses run the GENERATE TOPOLOGY in the tools menu.

Thermostat (2491T) will not respond to changes in the Admin Console. In the lower part of the screen, change heat setpoint up or down and nothing changes in the upper part of the screen. Click Write Changes, nothing happens. They work through my tablet using MobiLinc. Two thermostats, both will not respond. Worked before on an earlier firmware version. Looks like it shows the correct temperature, just can't change anything. I make a change in MobiLinc and the information updates in the Admin Console. I can operate other devices through the Console. Turn lights on-off and so on.

1 hour ago, Rwhitmore said:

Thermostat (2491T) will not respond to changes in the Admin Console. In the lower part of the screen, change heat setpoint up or down and nothing changes in the upper part of the screen. Click Write Changes, nothing happens. They work through my tablet using MobiLinc. Two thermostats, both will not respond. Worked before on an earlier firmware version. Looks like it shows the correct temperature, just can't change anything. I make a change in MobiLinc and the information updates in the Admin Console. I can operate other devices through the Console. Turn lights on-off and so on.

You may have lost a link on a multiple node device. Try doing a restore on it from your admin console.

2 hours ago, Rwhitmore said:

Click Write Changes,

I don't have that thermostat, but in V5.x firmware versions the write changes button isn't for everything.

If the temp is set with drop-downs similar to these:

image.png.28822904cf8bb4f57dd13ea26209ab09.png

Then the drop-down is set, and then you Push the button to the LEFT of the setting to push the change to the device.  In other words, On, Beep, On Level, Ramp Rate, and Backlight are all buttons.  Totally un-intuitive UI.

• Like 1