Support Thread: 5.0.16C (ISY994)

Athlon

2 hours ago, JoltDefries said:

I finally decided to upgrade to 5.0.16 and am having a couple really annoying issues. Admin console is really slow but it is only for Z-wave devices. Even something simple like right clicking a device to pull up the menu to rename/etc. is super slow. This happens on any Z-wave device regardless of manufacturer. Insteon devices respond quickly in admin console though. I have tried the Java thing by clearing cache and increasing amount of memory it uses but it has not helped with this issue. Also I had programs for my ZooZ ZEN 21 switches that I used to mimic a 3-way switch even though both switches were wired as single pole to the same load source and those programs do not work any more after upgrading. I came from 4.7.3 if that matters at all. Everything else seems to work well other than these 2 things. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

I have the ISY994i Pro with Z-Wave and an Insteon PLM running the firmware "Insteon_UD994 v5.0.16". Thanks in advance! 

I am not the most technologically advanced and others are much smarter than I am, but I believe that when going from 4.X to 5.0.16, you may have to go first to 5.01, or another earlier version. As said, others may know better.

So I just did the upgrade from 4.7.3 to 5.0.16 and it took a few minutes and was pretty seamless. 

All of my programs converted over without issue.

I have noticed that right clicking on the Zwave nodes takes about 2 seconds for the menu to pop up vs. instantaneously for the Insteon nodes.

I'm running the console on an Intel core i7 windows 10 box.

CJVann,  I have had a few of these with my devices, very few and after a couple retries by changing an attribute the communication is restored and the error goes away.  I've been thinking that its just interference, or just a network error or the Insteon device finally establish a connection.

So, what I guess I'm getting to is have you tried bringing the light inside and seeing if you can connect.  Communication distance error that might be solved by bringing it closer, letting it establish a link and then taking it back outside.   Just a thought  trying to assist.

Edited by BoomerangThree
23 hours ago, BoomerangThree said:

CJVann,  I have had a few of these with my devices, very few and after a couple retries by changing an attribute the communication is restored and the error goes away.  I've been thinking that its just interference, or just a network error or the Insteon device finally establish a connection.

So, what I guess I'm getting to is have you tried bringing the light inside and seeing if you can connect.  Communication distance error that might be solved by bringing it closer, letting it establish a link and then taking it back outside.   Just a thought  trying to assist.

Thanks for the reply, Boomerang.  I can communicate with the device (turn it on/off) but I am not able to reprogram it (change the default number of communications retries).  Every device I try that on gives the Client Request Failed error.

I believe I found a bug or at least something that needs to be checked manually when upgrading.  I'm not sure if this happened with 5.0.16 or with an earlier version of the 5.x firmware.  The programs ran fine in 4.x.

I have a couple programs with Insteon thermostats (2441TH) that reference the current temperature in the "IF" section.  These were not evaluating / triggering correctly.  They were evaluating false when clearly they were true.  To fix, I edited the program and changed the value for the temperature, saved it, and changed it back.  They now are working correctly.  

Anyone else have this issue?  If you are using Insteon thermostats for anything mission critical you may want to look closely at any programs that reference them.  Seemed to be a problem for me when they were referencing the current temperature.  I'm glad I don't use these for my main HVAC.

I'm assuming this is related to the 5.x firmware, but I never saw it mentioned by anyone.  This also makes me worried about what else may be lurking that I don't know about...

On 10/19/2019 at 11:28 PM, brians said:

I have upgraded from 5.0.15A and Z-Wave devices also take a couple seconds right clicking. I don't have any issues with programs however and I have a couple z-wave outlets as responders from Insteon KeypadLinc buttons and works fine.

The speed will depend on your network connection to the ISY.  The Admin Console gets various current Z-Wave settings to properly populate and build the popup menu.  I'll add this to the list to see if we can improve performance, not sure when it will be prioritized though.

2 hours ago, TrojanHorse said:

I believe I found a bug or at least something that needs to be checked manually when upgrading.  I'm not sure if this happened with 5.0.16 or with an earlier version of the 5.x firmware.  The programs ran fine in 4.x.

I have a couple programs with Insteon thermostats (2441TH) that reference the current temperature in the "IF" section.  These were not evaluating / triggering correctly.  They were evaluating false when clearly they were true.  To fix, I edited the program and changed the value for the temperature, saved it, and changed it back.  They now are working correctly.  

Anyone else have this issue?  If you are using Insteon thermostats for anything mission critical you may want to look closely at any programs that reference them.  Seemed to be a problem for me when they were referencing the current temperature.  I'm glad I don't use these for my main HVAC.

I'm assuming this is related to the 5.x firmware, but I never saw it mentioned by anyone.  This also makes me worried about what else may be lurking that I don't know about...

Yep, I had the same issue, had to go in and update any programs that set thermostats or used temperatures, then re-save them.

14 hours ago, TrojanHorse said:

Was this noted somewhere or did you discover it on your own?

I just tried it as a debugging option to see if I could get them to work again.

I also noticed that the temperature values now have decimal points in them, which might have been the reason it didn't work without the change.

Biggest problem with the decimal points is that Mobilinc in landscape mode doesn't show the current temperatures correctly.

1 minute ago, smacbride said:

I also noticed that the temperature values now have decimal points in them, which might have been the reason it didn't work without the change.

Biggest problem with the decimal points is that Mobilinc in landscape mode doesn't show the current temperatures correctly.

I noticed the decimals too.  Didn't see any other mention of it.

4 minutes ago, smacbride said:

THIS IS ME WAVING MY ARMS ON THE INTERNET TRYING TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THIS PROBLEM!!  There could be some very cold customers soon as the weather changes...

With respect, the biggest problem here is that the programs don't run, not how it looks on Mobilinc.  

What's the best way to note this for people that have already upgraded?  Checking these types of programs should be added to the list of things to do (e.g. confirm "run at startup", etc.) when upgrading.

1 hour ago, TrojanHorse said:

THIS IS ME WAVING MY ARMS ON THE INTERNET TRYING TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THIS PROBLEM!!  There could be some very cold customers soon as the weather changes...

With respect, the biggest problem here is that the programs don't run, not how it looks on Mobilinc.  

What's the best way to note this for people that have already upgraded?  Checking these types of programs should be added to the list of things to do (e.g. confirm "run at startup", etc.) when upgrading.

Good Point!

1 hour ago, TrojanHorse said:

People just have to read the instructions thoroughly. It says to verify your programs in the instructions:

After upgrading:

o   Please ensure your device nodes and programs are correct; in some cases you may need to update them.

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

People just have to read the instructions thoroughly. It says to verify your programs in the instructions:

After upgrading:

o   Please ensure your device nodes and programs are correct; in some cases you may need to update them.

I will also note that it appears you went back and edited your post to add the snarky first sentence.  Thank you for taking time out of your personal/professional/family time to "help" by going back to add sarcastic comments to an originally unhelpful post.  We are all so appreciative of your help, insight, and generally pleasant demeanor. 

• Confused 2
10 minutes ago, TrojanHorse said:

I will also note that it appears you went back and edited your post to add the snarky first sentence.  Thank you for taking time out of your personal/professional/family time to "help" by going back to add sarcastic comments to an originally unhelpful post.  We are all so appreciative of your help, insight, and generally pleasant demeanor. 

Your welcome.

I'm actually adding to my comment this time.

While it may appear my post was unhelpful there is truth to it even if you don't like it. You claimed something that wasn't true. UDI generally does a great job of providing pertinent information when it comes to their upgrades

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 3
21 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Your welcome.

I'm actually adding to my comment this time.

While it may appear my post was unhelpful there is truth to it even if you don't like it. You claimed something that wasn't true. UDI generally does a great job of providing pertinent information when it comes to their upgrades

Um, you're hardly worth responding to, but help me understand what I claimed that isn't true?