Cannot connect to java GUI after upgrade to 5.5.9

jamesm007

Hello,

On the weekend, I was in the gui, and did the upgrade all packages as it keeps prompting me.

And it mentioned upgrading to 5.5.9 from 5.5.7. I did it, it rebooted.
I got in once, and now when I run the IoX Finder, it does not locate it.
Everything in the house seems to be running, and if I use the UD Mobile app, it turns things on and off.
And my.iso.io sees it, and can reboot it.
I did the 4 button press to reset the networking, still the same behaviour.
I did the java cache clear, and got the current .jlp from the wiki.

Any ideas?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, jamesm007 said:

Hello,

On the weekend, I was in the gui, and did the upgrade all packages as it keeps prompting me.

And it mentioned upgrading to 5.5.9 from 5.5.7. I did it, it rebooted.
I got in once, and now when I run the IoX Finder, it does not locate it.
Everything in the house seems to be running, and if I use the UD Mobile app, it turns things on and off.
And my.iso.io sees it, and can reboot it.
I did the 4 button press to reset the networking, still the same behaviour.
I did the java cache clear, and got the current .jlp from the wiki.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I don't think the wiki has the most current version of the start.jnlp. Are you using Polisy or eisy?

Try going to http//your-ip-address:8080/admin.jnlp and use the link it creates on your desktop to connect. 

TRI0N

2 minutes ago, jamesm007 said:

Yep, that works.
And I am using a new eisy.

But the eisy is not showing in the ISY Finder, but popped up the console anyways.
As is shown in the attached pic.

Thanks,

Snag_57acf24.png

Let do a hard boot. Press the front button 6 times and wait for the light to turn red (means it's shutdown). Remove the power cord and wait about 30 seconds. Plug it back in and let it boot. The finder should show the eisy now.

Let me know how that goes.

TRI0N

Since you didn't report back at least take note of this link for the eisy start.jnlp

https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

This is where you want to obtain the correct release of the current start.jnlp. Of course clearing java cache and rebooting the eisy is the current procedures before grabbing the the new start.jnlp and launching it. 

The admin.jnlp is a failsafe in my opinion. But I would assume the start.jnlp might be more updated since every time you go into listen mode the ISY Finder pops up which leads me to believe it's part of the process of adding devices and therefore may be newer then the admin.jnlp They obviously are not the same since the interface font sizes are not consistent between start and admin. 

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N

The my.isy.io reboot command never returned. Usually back quickly.
Did the power pull, and it is back now.
The start.jnlp did not work, just an empty IoX Finder.
I have deleted all of the old .jnlp's and kept the one you suggested above.

I could "Add" it back this time. I guess Finder is not really an auto-discover, but list of registered isy's.
Not sure where it keeps the registrations, but it must have wiped them.

Never did get the button press procedure to work, but we are back live.

Thanks for your advice 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a similar problem with EISY and the IoX Launcher for the last few months. In my case, when I launch the IoX launcher the EISY is listed with the proper UUID and URL, but it has no type or version number. If I click it won't give me the option to launch the admin console, because technically it can't find it (??).

As a work around, I can either manually add it (time consuming) or I've saved a file and I can just load it each time and it finds it right away (see two screen shots below). On the second "manual" entry I can launch the Admin Console without issue.

I have unplugged it and left it off for 15+ minutes and deleted all three sets of Java temporary files a bunch of times and downloaded the new Start file and IoX launcher at least five times. Nothing seems to work, so I assume it is some setting in the EISY or an obscure network setting blocking the name resolution or scan.

I am running Mac Ventura (although same issue under Monterey. I am running Java 8/321 and IoX 5.5.4 on the EISY. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

On first launch:  EISY info is correct, but it does not find it.

image.png.953f283348f57cb725f07030f0e13e25.png

After I manually enter the IP or load from file it works just fine.

Screenshot2023-03-28at6_02_59PM.png.13fe4aa095fc3657a29b489885de6782.png

2 minutes ago, AllDigital said:

I have had a similar problem with EISY and the IoX Launcher for the last few months. In my case, when I launch the IoX launcher the EISY is listed with the proper UUID and URL, but it has no type or version number. If I click it won't give me the option to launch the admin console, because technically it can't find it (??).

As a work around, I can either manually add it (time consuming) or I've saved a file and I can just load it each time and it finds it right away (see two screen shots below). On the second "manual" entry I can launch the Admin Console without issue.

I have unplugged it and left it off for 15+ minutes and deleted all three sets of Java temporary files a bunch of times and downloaded the new Start file and IoX launcher at least five times. Nothing seems to work, so I assume it is some setting in the EISY or an obscure network setting blocking the name resolution or scan.

I am running Mac Ventura (although same issue under Monterey. I am running Java 8/321 and IoX 5.5.4 on the EISY. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

On first launch:  EISY info is correct, but it does not find it.

image.png.953f283348f57cb725f07030f0e13e25.png

After I manually enter the IP or load from file it works just fine.

Screenshot2023-03-28at6_02_59PM.png.13fe4aa095fc3657a29b489885de6782.png

First, if you are using eisy, you should be on v5.5.9, therefor you need to update. From the admin console go to Configuration and press the update packages button.

You are several packages behind so wait 20 - 30 minutes. Then clear your Java cache and download a new start.jnlp. Clirck on the downloaded file and it will install the IoX Launcher on your desktop.

You will probably need to reboot after you get back in to the admin console. You can do that from Configuration tab also.

If you still have an issue after the upgrade, try the troubleshooting steps here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Help

1 hour ago, DennisC said:

First, if you are using eisy, you should be on v5.5.9, therefor you need to update. From the admin console go to Configuration and press the update packages button.

You are several packages behind so wait 20 - 30 minutes. Then clear your Java cache and download a new start.jnlp. Clirck on the downloaded file and it will install the IoX Launcher on your desktop.

You will probably need to reboot after you get back in to the admin console. You can do that from Configuration tab also.

If you still have an issue after the upgrade, try the troubleshooting steps here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Help

I did the 5.5.9 upgrade and deleted all three java caches while it was upgrading. Once it came back online, I pulled down a new start file and IoX launcher. To my surprise, when IoX launcher came up after the upgrade it worked correctly and it found my EISY. I had tried upgrading in earlier versions and it didn't work, so I thought this was the fix.

But then it asked me to do the reboot after the upgrade. About 20 min after the reboot I came back and launched the IoX Launcher and it had reverted to not being able to find the EISY. I opened it manually and all was well with the EISY, so I closed and reopened a few more times and sure enough, it wasn't working.

So, I went to the troubleshooting wiki. I made sure my host name was the only thing registered to 127.0.0.1 and then I dumped cache, rebooted, reinstalled the start file, etc., but that did not make a difference.

Since the IoX Launcher seemed to be looking for eisy.local I added that to my host file with the (DHCP) IP address of the EISY. Without flushing cache or downloading a new file I launched IoX Launcher and SUCCESS!!!  It now works 100% of the time and it finds the EISY every time I launch IoX Launcher.

I am not sure how the Java applet is working behind the scenes, but for some reason it cannot find or resolve the host name on my computer. For future travelers that have the same problem this might help you if the other steps fail to help.

11 hours ago, AllDigital said:

I am not sure how the Java applet is working behind the scenes, but for some reason it cannot find or resolve the host name on my computer. For future travelers that have the same problem this might help you if the other steps fail to help.

Interesting fix. Glad it works. Since you're on macOS there's been some that get it to work right away and others that need a different approach.

The biggest issue I've seen (from a non-macOS side) is that many home routers have issues with the local naming and many have to use the IP address to connect. It's very hit and miss though. 

The best thing is to set an IP reservation in the router so the eisy is always at the same IP and you either remember it or have it in a saved file that can be easily loaded.  

I assume the Java applet is initially contacting or searching for "eisy.local" on port 8443. What is supposed to be doing the IP name resolution for eisy.local?  Is it assumed that the local router will being doing the DNS resolution?  In my router the name ID is "eisy", but all my clients are set to use 8.8.8.8 for name resolution. So, hard coding the name resolution in the host file is a bit of a hack, but it works. Should I be using a different friendly name ID for the device on my router?

4 hours ago, AllDigital said:

Should I be using a different friendly name ID for the device on my router?

I know just enough to get into trouble sometimes. I don't really know the answer to that questions, but suspect others will.

Offhand I would say that NO, any friendly name is not the same as how the device is broadcasting itself on your network. 

I don't force computers to use external DNS lookup, but leave them default to the router for DNS lookup for local access. Is that what you mean by all clients use 8.8.8.8 for DNS lookup? The router should be handling that (IMO). 

The eisy appears to be broadcasting as eisy.local. When IoX Launcher runs it opens a IoX Finder window. It should find the eisy and display as:

image.png

Sometimes mine will jus find it by underlying IP, but most times I get it populating this way. If you window ends up with "Not Found" then hit "Refresh" and what happens?

Now, since you've added it to your host file it might find it because of that, and since your on macOS other things can come into play. But on my several Win10 devices eisy comes up just fine 99-100% of the time. 

I suspect if you allowed the devices to rely on the router to handle DNS it would work more often for you. But, again, I'm not a network guru. Ultimately, you've got it working. For you. I don't think it would be a widely used method of resolution.