Automate Your Shades!

problem with their new stuff is the number of devices supported

https://www.lutron.com/en-US/Residential-Commercial-Solutions/Pages/Residential-Solutions/WholeHomeSolutions.aspx

caseta - 75

ra2 select - 100

ra2 - 200

ra3 - i think i saw 300 without adding extenders or something

homeworks - 10,000

lutron does not make it easy to tell which of the lutron devices are supported under each system 

i can see why no one dives into a lutron node server for homeworks - limited number of people would use it - someone paying retail for homeworks would not have a need to interface to ud

if i had a node server for homeworks, i'd do my window treatments in lutron - them probably migrate the lighting

1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

I don't have access to any Lutron equipment that uses telnet and thus, don't have any plans to create a node server for it. 

OK.  If I gave you access, would that change anything?  I'd bet that the RA2 DIY crowd is pretty sizable.  Reddit is the best source if you want to engage in some market intelligence.

And, do you have any interest in creating a PG3 Hubitat NS?  It has a very public and powerful REST interface, not unlike IoX itself.  Hubitat has the best support for RA2 because one of the developers has a lot of Lutron gear - I think he uses home run wiring to a closet full of Grafik Eye QS systems.

As has been discussed above, this isn't Lutron's latest stuff, but the installed base is pretty large.  And I'm part of the base.

-Tom

2 hours ago, RPerrault said:

um - you are the one that replies with 'any idiot can use google' to my posts 

because you cannot back up what you say - you turn to personal attacks and ignore the substance

he was talking about ra3 - i am talking about homeworks - which does support telnet - and lutron supplies the instructions and commands and formats

if you read the documentation ew1 posted you would know that

Do you actually read or simply look to post? I talk about you because you'll literally post stuff that has no bearing on what has been said (that's when we can comprehend your posts). I'd stop talking about you if you learned reading comprehension. 

15 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Works for older systems but not the newer ones

As I restated in my previous post, Homeworks qsx DOES NOT support tellnet. If you use the older QS then yes you can use tellnet. I repeat. Newer lutron systems do not support tellnet. Older versions do. 

1 hour ago, xlurkr said:

OK.  If I gave you access, would that change anything?  I'd bet that the RA2 DIY crowd is pretty sizable.  Reddit is the best source if you want to engage in some market intelligence.

And, do you have any interest in creating a PG3 Hubitat NS?  It has a very public and powerful REST interface, not unlike IoX itself.  Hubitat has the best support for RA2 because one of the developers has a lot of Lutron gear - I think he uses home run wiring to a closet full of Grafik Eye QS systems.

As has been discussed above, this isn't Lutron's latest stuff, but the installed base is pretty large.  And I'm part of the base.

-Tom

Maybe but ... the problem isn't really creating the node server, it's maintaining it.   Node servers for single (or limited number of) devices isn't too bad and working with someone that has the equipment works out pretty well, but with something like RA2 or Hubitat, it's much more difficult. Once it's out there, everyone wants all their devices to work with it. One person isn't likely to have everything and the initial testing is then limited. 

I can look into porting the PG2 versions to PG3, but the support would basically stop there.  I can verify the ported version loads, but no way to verify everything works correctly.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

"Somfy’s been there forever"

This is from a UD Post. It caught my attention as I do have an automated Somfy automated shade. I also recently updated to the Eisy with the USB Z wave/Matter dongle and Polygot 3 is active. So I'm interested to play but I don't have a clue as where to start. A little push in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks