Yolink Speaker Hub and PG3

whywork

Hi,

Nice job with the Yolink (YL) node server (installed trial v0.8.89)  I am primarily interested in using speaker hub for alerts/custom messages; not happy with Alexa/Google spoken alerts as they seemed to break often and require lots of fiddling to get working again.

Install of YL node server went well.  Of note: I have ISY 944 in production and Polisy as a test mule on my same local network and used the same UAID and Secret Key on both.  Had to reboot everything to get all/both connected to Speaker Hub and working.  Testing messages - if both ISY and Polisy try to send message at the same time, one message gets backed up and comes in a few minutes (yes minutes) later.

Now to the tricky stuff (at least for me) - How to actually have Speaker Hub text to speech something other than the exact words "Message 0"?  I see in your post https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/37458-announcements-with-yolink-and-speaker/ you say 

"The latest YoLink node server does support the speaker - not as elegant as I would like, but there are some limitations with regarding to text in the AC (you basically need to predefine you text (announcements) and then you can pick them in the AC) - "

I'm confused, where exactly would I predefine a message?  In my Administrative Console Device Speaker Hub there is a dropdown menu for Select Message, but only Message 0 appears.  Is this something that needs to be predefined via the Yolink App?  Or where on the ISY?  

Thanks

PS Not sure if that matters, nor is it your problem. Tried to pay for license but ISY portal kept trying to use UUID of my Polisy not ISY994 and would not let me change it. 

1 hour ago, whywork said:

I'm confused, where exactly would I predefine a message?

I don't use it, but in my YoLink node server configuration, I have an empty slot for "TTS0", and "NBR_TTS" has a value of "1".

Just guessing, but have you tried putting some text into the "Value" field of the "TTS0" key?  You might try entering some text there, restart the node server and possibly the AC and see if you have a value you can pick in the AC.  

I suspect that the "NBR_TTS" value in the configuration will indicate how many TTS (text to speech) nodes you want imported into the AC, and the TTS(0,1,2,3,etc.) value gives a distinct name for each TTS node.

As I said, I don't use this so it's just a guess...

Edited by Bumbershoot

Yes - As @Bumbershoot mentioned above - at the bottom of the configuration  page of the node server (PG3 page) there are TTSn and NBR_TTS (TTS = Text To Speech) fields.   You can enter the messages there.   I believe if you increase NBR_TTS the TTSn fields should get generated automatically (you may need to restart the node - I cannot remember how it was handled) but you can also add them manually.

Note, you need to restart the node server, and more importantly you need to reboot the ISY after changing the message text.   It is an issue with the ISY - it only read the configurations at boot so if you change the TTS field it does not update until after a reboot. - I believe new fields works, but existing fields being changed does not work

The payment is a question for @bpwwer I believe

On a different note - I have had issues running 2 node servers with the same UAID - I have not tried it recently so it may work now, but I had issues in the past and stopped doing it - 

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for your quick and helpful replies. 

To avoid potential troubles/conflicts, I deleted the Yolink nodeserver from my Polisy and left only the Yolink nodeserver connected to my ISY. 

Onward - 

The Good:  I went to PG3 Custom Configuration Parameters and saw TTSn and NBR_TTS.  Incremented NBR_TTS from 1 to 2.  Restarted Yolink Nodeserver and was presented with a new blank TTS field (labeled TTS1 because the first one is TTS0)   Added new text and saved.  Restarted Yolink Nodeserver and rebooted ISY.  The Admin Console Device page now shows Select Message dropdown with the actual new words I typed as each of the two message text(s). Choosing a particular message and hitting the play button; Sound Hub speaks the message!  Yay.

The learning:

I have a program that emails me and rings X10 power horn if the garage door closes.  Added then statement Set 'Speaker Hub 1' Play Message.  Tried it and got nothing.

Had to add  Set 'Speaker Hub 1' Select Message Test 2 - See below

Girl Garage Email Closed - [ID 004C][Parent 0001]

If
        'Girl Garage Door-Sensor' Status is On

Then
        Send Notification to 'Default'
        Run Program 'PowerHornDongDongA5' (Then Path)
        Set 'Speaker Hub 1' Select Message Test 2
        Set 'Speaker Hub 1' Play Message

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

It Works!  Now all I have to do is put in more appropriate text (not Test 2) in the custom TTS fields.

Yolink Speaker Hub is a wifi $25 configurable dinger/alarm/MP3/text-to-speech device that works with PG3 Yolink nodeserver and ISY/Polisy programs.

Thanks again for the Yolink nodeserver.

I look forward to actually paying for the license (see my question in the PG3 Polyglot forum about UUIDs)

Yolink Speaker Hub downside it that it requires connection to the "cloud" to work.

Yolink has "announced" that a new hub is under development with local API, no cloud required.  I hope it will also be able to do text-to-speech (might be a lot of computing unless pre-loaded soundfiles were created and stored locally, from text into speech).

We will see.

On 5/13/2023 at 12:16 PM, whywork said:

It Works!  Now all I have to do is put in more appropriate text (not Test 2) in the custom TTS fields.

Using a Polisy with a YoLink Speaker Hub the following steps worked for adding new text-to-speech messages:

1. In YoLink node server increase configuration key NBR_TTS by the number of new text-to-speech messages, in my case increased from 1 to 5
  2. Restart YoLink node server and new keys TTS1 through TTS4 appeared and I added the text I wanted it to say (for example, "side gate opened" for TTS3)
  3. Restart YoLink again, which I think may be needed to make the new text-to-speech messages active
  4. Close and reopen the IoX admin console so that the new messages appeared as an option for the Speaker Hub device "Select Message" function (I didn't have to restart Polisy nor IoX, only the admin console)
  5. Added the Set 'Speaker Hub' Select Message "side gate opened" and Set 'Speaker Hub' Play Message to a program

Thanks @whywork, @Bumbershoot and @Panda88 for your notes on this!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Panda88 said:

I think the ISY restart is only needed when you modify the message text - new fields will be added on the fly.  Things may have improved since I worked on it 

As a test I modified the text-to-speech TTS0 "Message 0" to "testing 1 2 3 testing 1 2 3" and didn't have to restart my Polisy nor IoX. The change showed up in the IoX admin console after restarting the YoLink node server and closing/opening the admin console.

One other "secret" I noticed is to wait a sufficient amount of time for the YoLink node server to fully restart. In my case it takes nearly 2 minutes to complete the restart.

Thanks for your work on the YoLink node server!