Automating Somfy blinds with URTSII need RS-232???? Or Bond??

Hello all,

I'm looking at automating my Somfy RTS blinds.   I see there are two routes that one can take utilizing either of the two nodes in the Node store.  The Somfy node for controlling the Somfy URTSii or using a Bond bridge.  There is a third.... using the Somfy ZRTSii, but I try to stay away from z-wave as much as possible.
Reviewing the Somfy URTSii specs I see the input commands are RS-232 serial.  Upon reading the info contained within the Somfy node page (https://github.com/UniversalDevicesInc-PG3/udi-somfy-poly) it states:  The URTSii can be connected to the machine running Polyglot directly or the commands can be issued remotely.  The machine described in the above comment, could that be the Polisy?  If so, would the connection be one of the RJ ports on the back?  I know the DB-9 is RS-232 (PLM), but what about the other RJ connectors?  I can't find anywhere that defines what the other RJ jacks on the back of the Polisy are used for.    If not, how do you get data from the Polisy to the URTSii via RS-232?

Looking at the Bond bridge.  Seems pretty straight forward. 

If someone could answer these questions or provide feedback ( Pros, Cons, etc...) as to their own personal experiences, automating Somfy RTS blinds, utilizing either of the two protocols, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks, 

Dan

Edited by dpierre

I'd recommend the Bond (Pro) bridge for RTS motors - hands down. Range was enough for ~60 ft in a single-story house from one end of the house to the other. It would most likely reach further. Note: I have no first-hand experience with the Z-Wave motors.

• Like 1

@dpierre do you have anything automating the shades currently? I've got a few Somfy controlled roller shades and have always hade their MyLink. It's painfully low tech, but does the bare minimum that works for us (timed raising and lowering of the shades). Sadly, there was never a node server for the MiLink option. There was a Home Assistant option at one point, but it too was discontinued. Somfy also has their Tahoma option, but it's perhaps as unreliable as the MiLink product. I haven't ever tried the Tahoma.

I have looked into the Bond pro option in the past, but couldn't bring myself to buying another $300+ "hub" just to control a few window coverings. 

If/when the MyLink ever fully dies I might have no other choice but to buy an expensive hub or just use the remote daily. 

2 hours ago, Geddy said:

@dpierre do you have anything automating the shades currently? I've got a few Somfy controlled roller shades and have always hade their MyLink. It's painfully low tech, but does the bare minimum that works for us (timed raising and lowering of the shades). Sadly, there was never a node server for the MiLink option. There was a Home Assistant option at one point, but it too was discontinued. Somfy also has their Tahoma option, but it's perhaps as unreliable as the MiLink product. I haven't ever tried the Tahoma.

I have looked into the Bond pro option in the past, but couldn't bring myself to buying another $300+ "hub" just to control a few window coverings. 

If/when the MyLink ever fully dies I might have no other choice but to buy an expensive hub or just use the remote daily. 

I had a MyLink setup with an ISY-944 in a condo I used to rent out. I used network resources to control it with Alexa and keypadlinc buttons. Still works as far as I know.

I found the MyLink specifically (and Somfy in general) has terrible range, but I finally found a spot to plug in the MyLink that worked.

I'm still using an Autelis and urtsi in my own place also controlled with network resources on an eISY. Autelis is long gone so if it fails, I'll need a new solution.

• Thanks 1

I've been using an iTach with RTSII and network resources, setup long before Node Servers existed.  At the time it was the best solution for the price.

The range on the RTSII is also not great,  needed a repeater in 1200 sq per main level home (basement and main level automated). The home was built in the 40s and has expanded metal on all walls to hold plaster which may be part of the issue.  Something to consider when calculating total cost.

I was able to obtain an URTSii at a great price.  Currently using a ZRTSI, had a few issues with z-wave so looking looking at other robust options.  @JAVI.... I assume your talking about the iTach IP to serial converter?  I was thinking if an IP to serial converter would do the trick.  Distance isn't an issue in my situation.  But again of someone knows what the other RJ ports on the back of the Polisy are for, hence serial??? I may not have to go down that road.  Or what about an active or passive splitter connected to the current serial DB-9 connector that communicates with the PLM???? 

The bond gadget seems nice and would probably do fine given the available node server, just don't to buy another device if I can get by with the URTSi.

Yes iTach IP to Serial.  Have not tested on anything else as the URTSII is too far from UD Equipment.  I do not recall any node servers, other than eISYIR, using hardware ports.  I think the Somfy NS worked hard wired in PG2 and RPI, not sure if it works with Polisy/eisy.  Maybe someone else knows better.

For the range tests with the Bond Pro, I used the local API with Network Resources. I would have added the Bond local API to my Node JS server and replace the Somfy MyLinks, but we sold the house before I got the chance.