Help - can't migrate node servers from Polisy to eISY

Go to solution Solved by bpwwer,

I am trying to migrate from a Polisy with the latest 5.6.3/3.1.36 to an eISY with 5.6.3/3.1.36 so I'm going from PG3x to PG3x - do I just do a restore?  or do I need to do a Migrate from PG3 Backup?

EDIT: well things have gone downhill fast and I am completely locked out of PG3x (can't log in - 503 Service Unavailable) - opened a ticket

Edited by JTsao
  • Solution

That's not really possible.  Node servers and the associated installation are tied to the hardware.  With PG3x, PG3x and the IoX are essentially tied together as one entity. 

If you try to move the configuration from the Polisy to the eisy, it will get very confused because it will still attempt communicate with the IoX on the Polisy, for some things and will be communicating with the IoX on the eisy for others.  In addition, none of the node server will work because the license for the Polisy is invalid for the eisy.

The only way to "migrate" would be to first get all the node server licenses transferred (by contacting UDI and telling them you want to transfer licenses from the Polisy UUID to the eisy UUID).  Then start the eisy (and make sure it's updated), and install and configure each of the node servers.

Any node server's with a free license don't need to be transferred as you can just get a new free license that works with the eisy for those.

So PG3x to PG3x migration is not possible?   That is not clear to me after reading the Wiki

I was able to power cycle to get back in to PG3x - so now I have 11 unmanaged node servers that I can't remove from the eISY - I opened a ticket which I guess could be used to request the node server license transfer but need to figure out how to clean house and get the unmanaged node servers out - I tried your trick to add 1 more node server in but the 11 unmanaged ones are still there - I also tried restoring the eISY PG3x backup from before the migration attempt (which has no node servers) and that doesn't work - any help to clean out is appreciated

EDIT: - got them deleted - had to do it from AC, that deleted only slot 1, then had to use the trick to add a new node server and that deleted 2-11, so now apparently need licenses transferred so I don't have to re-purchase the paid NS - will install free ones for now...

SO one question - I don't have to install node servers in the same slot as they were before, do I?

Edited by JTsao

That's what I thought, unfortunately the ISY portal node server seems to just pick the next available slot, so that one I can't control but all others I am trying to put in the same place - just ran out of free node servers to install and setup, so now I need UDI to transfer my licenses - looks like this time I am going to stay on the eISY/ZMatter

Edited by JTsao

There are only 2 currently available migration paths available:

PG3 on Polisy -> PG3x on eisy

PG3 on Polisy -> PG3x on Polisy

the first does require a transfer of licenses but that is supposed to be part of the migration instructions.

the second doesn't because the hardware stays the same so the node server licenses remain valid.

** It's should still be possible to migrate from PG2 on Polisy to PG3 on Polisy, but only if your system still has old versions of the software since current system updates will remove PG2 from the system.

Polisy to eISY Polyglot migration seemed do-able to me after carefully reading the Wiki - someone should edit - I made a number of related posts back in Feb. when I tried this 2 other times and recently when I was about to try this again and no one ever said that it can't be done - per UDI, the Polisy has an expiration date and I like future proofing and getting the newer, shinier model, so here I am...

17 hours ago, bgrubb1 said:

Why no PG3x Polisy to PG3x eisy ??

most of us on Polisy will go that way eventually

...Barry

Because it's not a high enough priority to expend resources on developing it at this time. Eventually there will be a way to migrate.

Currently the PG3x backup can only be restored to the same machine that made the backup so the same problem exists if you have a hardware failure and get new hardware.

In both cases, it's possible, just not automated.  The main issue is the node server license.  Once that is transferred to new hardware, restoring the backup from another machine and then re-installing all the node servers should be recovered.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, DennisC said:

Not sure why you are stating that.

My move from Polisy PG3 to PG3x went off with no issues.

As previously posted, there are certain features that are only available with PG3x.

If I read it right, currently there isn't an upgrade path Polisy/PG3x -> eisy/PG3x. There is a path for Polisy/PG3 -> eisy/PG3.

So a move to eisy would be complicated if you moved to PG3x on the Polisy.

* Orest

26 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

If I read it right, currently there isn't an upgrade path Polisy/PG3x -> eisy/PG3x. There is a path for Polisy/PG3 -> eisy/PG3[edit] PG3x.

* Orest

Yes.  The reasoning is that there shouldn't be too many people that need to replace a functioning Polisy with an eisy.  A number of folks did that with the eisy was first release (and had no choice but to run PG3 on a Polisy) so the Polisy/PG3 to eisy/PG3x made sense to support.   But now, chances are that if you're updating the Polisy to PG3x, you're probably going be using the Polisy for a while.

And yes, there are exceptions.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

If I read it right, currently there isn't an upgrade path Polisy/PG3x -> eisy/PG3x. There is a path for Polisy/PG3 -> eisy/PG3.

* Orest

Everything is time based, all of these options are new. As time goes on and more people have a need to upgrade from Polisy PG3x, UD will surely address it. Currently, their resources are limited.

My comment was based on the statement:

23 hours ago, oskrypuch said:

So, basically, if on Polisy -- stick with PG3?

If you are currently on Polisy with PG3, there is no reason not to upgrade to PG3x. There are features available now that only work on PG3x.

If you are considering moving to eisy shortly, then wait to upgrade to PG3x.

I am currently on Polisy with v5.4x running, mostly Insteon but with a Z-Wave dongle and some devices, and PG3, and everything is running 100%.

I am vacillating as to when/if to make a firmware (+/- Matter board) update move. It is kind of, when do I want to create work for myself. 😁

Plan to stay with the Polisy, bought two just before the eisy was announced.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
22 hours ago, bpwwer said:

The reasoning is that there shouldn't be too many people that need to replace a functioning Polisy with an eisy. 

What if one's functioning Polisy stopped functioning? I don't think one can get a Polisy anymore so I think it should be viewed as important to help Polisy users be able to move to eisy. In fact, I bought an eisy when it came out in part to have backup hardware in case my Polisy fails.

I was contemplating going to PG3x on my Polisy once 3.1.37 beta became stable release. From reading this thread I probably shouldn't move yet to preserve what's there in terms of migrating to eisy. While I'm okay to wait, as PG3x grows and PG3 falls behind, its likely going to have stuff I want, not to mention increasingly better support. 

• Like 1

I was led to believe that UDI had to move the node server licenses (for this case of Polisy/PG3x->eisy/PG3x) based on post #2 above by @bpwwer, but now (that I have everything working) I'm not so sure - after receiving help from UDI via a ticket, the process is to migrate the node server licenses yourself via isy portal - but you have to re-install and re-configure all the node servers so that part is not migrated - in my case, 10 node servers, this was not terrible

15 hours ago, JTsao said:

I was led to believe that UDI had to move the node server licenses (for this case of Polisy/PG3x->eisy/PG3x) based on post #2 above by @bpwwer, but now (that I have everything working) I'm not so sure - after receiving help from UDI via a ticket, the process is to migrate the node server licenses yourself via isy portal - but you have to re-install and re-configure all the node servers so that part is not migrated - in my case, 10 node servers, this was not terrible

Yes, there is the process on the Portal to migrate node server license to different hardware.  I'm not real familiar with that process

In general, the PG3x backup/restore operations are designed to be used on the same hardware.  It simply restores the PG3x database which does contain hardware specific configuration info.  Restoring on different hardware is not something we're testing or guaranteeing will work.   It may be possible to restore a backup, and use the System->Re-install all node servers menu selection in PG3x to get all node server re-installed and working, but again, this process is not tested.

Re-installing and re-configuring after migrating the license should always work.  So it's not that it's impossible to migrate to different hardware, just that it's not an automated process.

At some point we'll get the backup/restore process to handle the hardware changes automatically and thus, simplify the process.  

• Like 2