KASA NS - Can't find a device I just added

Go to solution Solved by Jimbo.Automates,

Hi @Jimbo.Automates,  I installed the new Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Dimmer Switch today.  This is the version that is matter certified.  The Kasa app found it ok but the NS will not discover it.  I tried a NS restart and the DIscover button but no joy.  I search in the log for the switch name but it doesn't appear there.  There are no errors related to that device.  I can see the device on my home network with an IP address assigned.

Any suggestions? 

Thank you

Update:

Today I deleted the NS and reinstalled it to see if it picked up the new device.  It did not and in fact missed another device that has been working fine all along.  I tried a delete again and an eisy reboot but after install the new switch and the outdoor plug are both missing.  I also noticed that the AC does not update  until the short pole occurs.  Maybe that's normal but I thought in the past when I toggled a device in the KASA app the state in the AC changed immediately.  I will PM you the log file starting at the reboot/install.

Thanks Jim

PG3x: 3.2.1

IoX: 5.6.4.

KASA NS: 3.0.21

Edited by tmorse305
  • Solution

Kasa devices sometimes don't respond initially, the NS does try to discover devices on each long poll so they may eventually show up. I can try increasing the timeout while looking for devices if possible.

Device status is only updated on short poll, Kasa doesn't allow immediate updates. Remember we are using an undocumented API.

Some new devices use a new method which is not currently supported, not sure if yours is one of them.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The KS225 is not confirmed as working but similar ones are: https://github.com/python-kasa/python-kasa/blob/master/README.md so not sure since it's not showing up in the discover.

Some of the M devices work, but man do not since they use a new protocol.  The developers of python-kasa have been looking into it but nothing released yet.

This is the exact reason I gave notice that this uses an unsupported API and can break at any time.

• Like 1