Using network responses in a EISY program?

Wes Westhaver
Go to solution Solved by Javi,

A while ago I posted a question about using network responses in a program to direct program flow. The answers I got weren't what I was hoping for. But now that the EISY has been introduced, I'm wondering if this issue has been addressed? I know that my ISY994i is no longer supported and so I am now thinking about what my options are for the future. If network responses are able to be used in the new EISY to direct program flow that would certainly make me more likely to move toward the EISY.

Here's the thread I started discussing the use (or inability to use) network responses in programs:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/41083-using-network-resource-response-in-a-program/

Can anyone provide a definitive answer to this issue?

-Wes

35 minutes ago, Wes Westhaver said:

A while ago I posted a question about using network responses in a program to direct program flow. The answers I got weren't what I was hoping for. But now that the EISY has been introduced, I'm wondering if this issue has been addressed? I know that my ISY994i is no longer supported and so I am now thinking about what my options are for the future. If network responses are able to be used in the new EISY to direct program flow that would certainly make me more likely to move toward the EISY.

Here's the thread I started discussing the use (or inability to use) network responses in programs:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/41083-using-network-resource-response-in-a-program/

Can anyone provide a definitive answer to this issue?

-Wes

Javi responded to you in your previous thread saying that you would need a nodeserver for 2 way communication. Didn't sound like they were willing to develop 2 way communication to be used with NRs 

That's too bad.

Allowing a network resource to be called and then ignoring its response is really peculiar and quite non-standard. Calling a network resource and pray it actually works is hardly a robust methodology.

Having to write a node-server to overcome this limitation seems like overkill.

Oh well...

Creating a Node Server which populates an ISY Status with the Network Response code could be built quickly.

Most of the other ISY Modules have Node Servers equivalents which are far superior such as Wake on Lan, Elk, Weather, and Notifications.  Even if we were to rebuild Network Resources it would be as a Node Server as Modules are depreciated.  Although why build a generic network module when you can target the exact device your are trying to control, this is likely the reason Network Resources have not been recreated as a Node Server.