KPL backlight changes stopped working

I have a KPL which I turn off the backlight at night.  It's been working fine for a long time.  Earlier this week I had to reboot eisy unrelated to this.  Since then it does not work.  The event viewer shows an error related to a database (DB).  Is something corrupted?  Not sure if I should restore the device, delete it and re added it or what.  Thought I'd throw it out here and look for suggestions first.

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-08-23 090010.png

I had a similar problem with a corrupt file. In my case I could not do a backup because of the corrupt file. @Michel Kohanim had me delete and readd the KPL. I am guessing your KPL has address 19.3F.29. I also had to update my program that did the dimming after it was readded (basically needed to reselect the KPL and resave the program). When I readded the KPL, I clicked keep existing links as my KPL is linked with a number of other insteon devices

Gary

Let me start by saying that I do not have the eisy.  My experience is with the ISY994.

Your log is indicating that it can't load the configuration file for your KPL @19.3F.29.rec.   The ISY may have been in the process of updating this file when you re-booted. 

The "old" way (ISY994) of recovering from this was to restore from a "recent" backup.  If you have a number of changes since your last backup, it may be simpler to delete, reset, restore re-link your device.

I am curious how you are executing the backlight change.  Most people do this with a program.  Your log shows the use of a "rest command".  I didn't know this CMD existed for the KPL.  I tried it and it does indeed work with my KPL's.

Just curious if you are using an external device to execute a rest command to the eISY?  If not, there is a lot I do not understand about the new configuration. 

On 8/23/2023 at 9:10 AM, tmorse305 said:

Screenshot 2023-08-23 090010.png

Edited by IndyMike
Corrected typo: Restore changed to re-link

I opened a ticket to get the best way forward from UD.

As for the Rest command I was as surprised as you to see that.

The event log was the result of running the "then" from this program right from the AC.

Goodnight Copy - [ID 0172][Parent 0001]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Set 'Master Bath / Mstr Bath Lights' Backlight On  0 / Off 0

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

@tmorse305 Thank you for the response.  Confirms there is a lot I do not understand about the eISY. 

1. I don't understand the rest dim command
  2. Don't understand how the program "Backlight On  0 / Off 0" is equivalent to a rest /BL/54/25

I did try the rest /BL54/25 command and it resulted in a rather low on/off level.  Just not sure how it's equivalent to your program.

In short, the ticket is a wise decision.  I'll try to remember to refrain from commenting on eISY issues as I obviously have no clue how the new system functions...

Sorry for the distraction

@tmorse305,  Your log certainly makes a lot more sense now.  Glad you had a backup and that it solved the problem.

One thing that I did twig to - when you update the backlighting on a device, you are changing it's basic operation.  Unlike a simple on/off, you are actually writing to the device EEprom and likely to the device xx.xx.xx.REC file in the ISY.  That probably makes you more vulnerable to upsets.  Just like a firmware update, if the writes to the EEprom or file system get interrupted, bad things happen.

The likely hood of this occurring is probably extremely low.  Something to keep in mind nonetheless. 

• Like 1