Ecobee thermostat

dantoronto

I have Ecobee thermostats. They come with great instructions, and their support is fantastic should you get stuck.

I would start by carefully removing your existing thermostat and taking some pictures of the wiring before you disconnect any of the wires. That way you'll know which color wire was connected to to which contact. (The contacts should be labeled inside the Insteon thermostat.)

sorry, I was not clear.  I have easily removed my perfecting fine Isteon thermostat and repalced it with teh Ecobee thermostat Premium which is now working fine.  And looks way cooler.  But I don't know how to make the new thermostat show up under Main in the UD admin console.  SO I can then control and program it like I did with the Insteon thermostat.

Essentially I want to swap out the Ecobee for the Insteon thermostat in my Programs.  I have named the Ecobee in the ELK and it shows up under Elk/Thermostat.  But not as a device under Main.  And certainly is not configured wirelessly to my Elk console.

Does that make more sense??  Thanks much

1 hour ago, dantoronto said:

I dint think so.  I have the ISY 994.  Do I need the new machine?

You could run PG2 with the ecobee node server still if you could get all the software yet???
There were two sources of node servers for ecobee at one time but you would need a RPi or equivalent to run the software on. A new RPi these days would cost you almost as much as an eISY box though. They are gouging the market like everybody else is right now
      ...ask for a raise at work. :)

I understand only part of what you guys are saying.  What I think you are saying I should do is:

1.  Buy the eISY.

2. Carefully learn how to migrate from the 994 to an eISY.

3.  Not be concerned about some of the horror stories I have read in this forum from people who have struggled with this migration.  Some of whom have gone back to the 994.

4.  Do I need to also buy the z-ware add on??

5.  Assuming everything goes perfectly and my eISY works exactly like my 994, I then buy or add the Ecobee node.

6.  I then I will be able to connect the Ecobee thermostat to the eISY and control that thermostat through ISY like I was able to with my Insteon theremostat.

Is this all right?????

@dantoronto I didn't upgrade for a long time because of the same concerns you have and the horror stories I read. It's all about your mind set going into it. Know that it's going to be multitudes better once it's up and running. Hope for the best but expect the worst. Back everything up but be willing to rebuild some things. For me, most everything transferred well except I had to do some editing with my programs and my zwave devices. Since I was expecting the worst, it seemed easy because it only took an hour or so of reconfiguring. But the best part is that after you go through that, whether it was easy or difficult, once it's all programmed and set up correctly, it just works for you. It's been probably close to 2 years now for me (994 to Polisy) and I love all the new devices I have added with PG2 and PG3, plus the programs run so much quicker - with the 994, I think the delay to run a program was 2-3 seconds and with my Polisy I would say it's less than 1 second.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone.  I really struggled with each phase of the migration.  A big part was the ELK programs, which just disappeared and had to be totally rebuilt.  I will say that Michel and his crew of UD have been nothing short of fantastic. I am suffering through my admin console crashing each night when my wifi resets itself.   Again, the UD team has been there and have been trouble shooting  Some of my fault, some have not been.

All in all, I am glad I made the migration, if only to help support UD.

Funny thing, after all this, the eISY cannot control the ecobee anywhere as well as it could with the Insteon thermostat.  Which was built to be controlled by the ISY.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dantoronto said:

Thanks to everyone.  I really struggled with each phase of the migration.  A big part was the ELK programs, which just disappeared and had to be totally rebuilt.  I will say that Michel and his crew of UD have been nothing short of fantastic. I am suffering through my admin console crashing each night when my wifi resets itself.   Again, the UD team has been there and have been trouble shooting  Some of my fault, some have not been.

All in all, I am glad I made the migration, if only to help support UD.

Funny thing, after all this, the eISY cannot control the ecobee anywhere as well as it could with the Insteon thermostat.  Which was built to be controlled by the ISY.

Fortunately the ecobee stats do not need any ISY control at all. They can be setup to do more complex things alone without outside interference. I had two Insteon stats and one came as uncontrollable junk, new.  Their features  were like comparing a bicycle to a Cadillac.