ISY994 to Eisy - Migration issues

RichTJ99

Hi,

I migrated from my ISY994 to the Eisy about a month or two ago.  Overall the experience went well but I am having a few lingering issues:

1. Launcher:   When I login I see two ISY’s with the same UUID – one is my local IP address (192.168.1.2) on my network (expected).  The other is https://eisy.local:8443 – that is new and not something I use/setup.  Not sure if that could be causing a communication issue.

1. Driveway alarm program:
    1. When triggerlink is switched On

i.      Basement light blinks

ii.      Email is sent

1. ISY994 Program worked fine / instantly
    2. Eisy Program works after about 5 minutes – almost as if it might be turning the program ‘on’ when it goes to the ‘off’

i.      I have tested and confirm that ‘on’ works as expected – the program is just not doing what I want in a timely manner

1. Programs post migration from ISY994 to Eisy
    1. Programs seem to have doubled in size – most programs are broken

i.      Incorrect if references from node name changes

ii.      Duplicate programs

1. Is it possible that all these duplicates/incorrect devices/non-existent devices are slowing down response time?

1. Home assistant integration
    1. While the Eisy works the device seems to be significantly delayed. 

Is there a way to test the ‘speed’ of my eisy?  Any ideas on how to fix anything above?

Thanks,

Rich

12 minutes ago, RichTJ99 said:

Launcher:   When I login I see two ISY’s with the same UUID – one is my local IP address (192.168.1.2) on my network (expected).  The other is https://eisy.local:8443 – that is new and not something I use/setup.  Not sure if that could be causing a communication issue.

This is "normal" and expected. They both go to the same device. Since it's auto discovered by the UDI IoX Launcher process they cannot be removed. No "communication" issue with this.

13 minutes ago, RichTJ99 said:

Driveway alarm program:

The best way to share a program in the forums is to right click on the program, select the last menu item "Copy to Clipboard", then paste as text in your topic. Please share the program specifically so it can be reviewed for any issues it might give you.

14 minutes ago, RichTJ99 said:

Eisy Program works after about 5 minutes – almost as if it might be turning the program ‘on’ when it goes to the ‘off’

17 minutes ago, RichTJ99 said:

Incorrect if references from node name changes

Did you have the Elk Module or Z-Wave on the ISY994? 

• ELK is now handled by a node server - this will break any ELK specific programs because devices are missing
  • Z-Wave changed from ZW address to ZY address (covered in migration notes). This might break Z-Wave programs, but I didn't have Z-Wave when I migrated so I don't know the impact on programs. 
19 minutes ago, RichTJ99 said:

Duplicate programs

I've not seen this commented on before. What firmware are you running on the eisy? Since you performed the migration a while back have you updated? Did you try to clean up any of the programs or devices you said doubled?

Please go to this site and look for IoX Version:    eisy.local:8443/WEB/sysconfig.txt     (Looking for 5.7.0_5 or higher - as of last check _5 was "current", but could have increased since I last looked this up)

20 minutes ago, RichTJ99 said:

Is it possible that all these duplicates/incorrect devices/non-existent devices are slowing down response time?

Not likely as the eisy has a lot more horsepower than the ISY994 had so it is able to handle more data quickly. But, it could be causing unknown issues because of the amount of broken programs. Clean up the programs and see if that improves any performance issues you seem to think are happening. 

22 minutes ago, RichTJ99 said:

Home assistant integration

1. While the Eisy works the device seems to be significantly delayed. 

Unsure here as I don't use Home Assistant. I know from reading that forum area there have been some big changes in the integration and many here seem to not mention any significant performance issues. So be sure to read through the HA area and post any specific questions/issues there for help from others using this integration.

• Like 1

Hi,

So my driveway alarm program works as shown in the code below.  It was fairly seamless with the ISY994 but seems to launch about 5 minutes after the triggerlinc turns on.

In terms of the email, thats the lesser of the issue, the idea of the program is among other things, if i am in the basement, the driveway alarm goes off (cant hear it down there) the lights flash.  It used to be fully in sync maybe a 5 second lag?  This almost to me seems like it is triggering when the triggerlinc goes from on, stays open for a few minutes, then the triggerlinc goes off and that causes it to launch.  Again this is a 'feeling' vs any real reason as it seems consistent.  

I have no Elk or Zwave.

Firmware 5.7.0

isy-5.7.0_4
Name           : isy
Version        : 5.7.0_4
Installed on   : Thu Oct 12 13:17:47 2023 EDT

Driveway Start - [ID 0092][Parent 0008][Run At Startup]

If
        'Leak - Motion - Trigger - Spr / Main: Trigger Drive-Opened' is switched On

Then
        Resource 'Driveway Alarm Beep'
        Resource 'Physical Box - small'
        Send Notification to 'Rich Email' content 'Driveway Alarm Alert'
        Run Program 'Driveway Alarm Lights2' (If)
        Wait  10 seconds
        Run Program 'Driveway Alarm Basement' (If)
        Wait  10 seconds
        Run Program 'Driveway Alarm Master Bath' (If)

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Driveway Alarm Basement Flash - [ID 0094][Parent 0008]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Set 'Scenes / Scene: Basement 3Way' On
        Wait  2 seconds
        Set 'Scenes / Scene: Basement 3Way' Off
        Wait  2 seconds
        Wait  2 seconds
        Set 'Scenes / Scene: Basement 3Way' Off
        Wait  2 seconds

Else

Driveway Alarm Lights2 - [ID 0007][Parent 0008]

If
        From     6:30:00PM
        To       5:15:00AM (next day)

Then
        Set 'Scenes / Scene: Outside Lights' Fast On
        Wait  15 seconds
        Wait  60 minutes 
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Scenes / Scene: Outside Lights' Fast Off

Else

Driveway Alarm Basement - [ID 0093][Parent 0008]

If
        'Main House / Basement / Main: Basement Gym Rear' Status is not Off
    And 'Leak - Motion - Trigger - Spr / Main: Trigger Drive-Opened' is switched On

Then
        Run Program 'Driveway Alarm Basement Flash' (Then Path)

Else

48 minutes ago, brians said:

@RichTJ99 I have a Polisy so I would presume EISY is same. I use Home Assistant integration for my Insteon devices and the updating seems near instantaneous. I use HA for automations and do not use IoX programs for anything critical except for syncing LEDs on some Insteon devices. What are you using HA for?

I am using a little of this & a little of that.

I bought the lutron module for the Eisy - it works great for my needs to add lutron switches to insteon scenes.   It reacts quickly.  I tried making lutron/insteon scenes in HA but i found there was a big delay.  Even a scene with insteon to insteon was a big delay using HA.  

Im using the Universal Devices ISY/IoX integration in HA - not sure if that makes a big difference.

Also the Lutron integration in HA - though some devices do get doubled up - pulled into HA from the ISY/IoX plugin and also the lutron integration.  

Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, RichTJ99 said:

I am using a little of this & a little of that.

I bought the lutron module for the Eisy - it works great for my needs to add lutron switches to insteon scenes.   It reacts quickly.  I tried making lutron/insteon scenes in HA but i found there was a big delay.  Even a scene with insteon to insteon was a big delay using HA.  

Im using the Universal Devices ISY/IoX integration in HA - not sure if that makes a big difference.

Also the Lutron integration in HA - though some devices do get doubled up - pulled into HA from the ISY/IoX plugin and also the lutron integration.  

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you are doubling up on things and potential to cause excess traffic and loops. I would simplify things for now until you get stabilized and good performance eg. in case of Lutron, I would only pick one platform to install the integration on.. .either IoX or HA but not both for now. I do not know for sure, but issue seems to be IoX slow at processing events which will compound the problem expecially with going Lutron>IoX>ISY Integration>HA, and probably an ACK back other direction.

I said earlier that HA updating via ISY integration seems to happen instantaneously, it does for simple things like turning a lights on/off. But any multiple events and feedback from IoX takes a bit longer, scenes and light groups in HA generating more Network, Insteon traffic causing slowdowns to ISY.

However, I do not experience this issue re: light groups/scenes with any other HA integration that I use ( eg. Zigbee, Matter, or WiFi lights). Therefore this seems like it is not an issue with HA but with the ISY Integration, IoX, or way Insteon traffic works.

4 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hi @RichTJ99,

Please remove the above 3 lines and retry. 

With kind regards,
Michel

Thank you - updated - now waiting for someone to come home - will let you know if that fixes the delay.

2 hours ago, brians said:

Sounds like you are doubling up on things and potential to cause excess traffic and loops. I would simplify things for now until you get stabilized and good performance eg. in case of Lutron, I would only pick one platform to install the integration on.. .either IoX or HA but not both for now. I do not know for sure, but issue seems to be IoX slow at processing events which will compound the problem expecially with going Lutron>IoX>ISY Integration>HA, and probably an ACK back other direction.

I said earlier that HA updating via ISY integration seems to happen instantaneously, it does for simple things like turning a lights on/off. But any multiple events and feedback from IoX takes a bit longer, scenes and light groups in HA generating more Network, Insteon traffic causing slowdowns to ISY.

However, I do not experience this issue re: light groups/scenes with any other HA integration that I use ( eg. Zigbee, Matter, or WiFi lights). Therefore this seems like it is not an issue with HA but with the ISY Integration, IoX, or way Insteon traffic works.

I am happy to troubleshoot as the main difference from the ISY + HA vs Eisy + HA is the introduction of Lutron into my system.  I can see where the doubling up might cause issues.

The two things I am using the EISY Polyglot:  Kasa node and Caseta/Lutron node.  They are also added into HA with their own integration.  So they are again added multiple times. 

I am not sure which is the best way to test - remove the lutron & kasa integration from HA and control those devices only through the EISY or the other way around. 

Do you have scenes in HA that have lights from Insteon/Zigbee/Matter/etc on your system and they turn on quickly or with a noticeable delay?

I do have my EISY with a number of programs vs using HA for programs - again I can switch but I feel there is a better chance that the EISY stays functional vs a bad HA update knocking the whole system down.  However - i dont really need the EISY programs showing up in HA as thats not where i would use them.

Any feedback in helping me streamline the issues would be great - i am confident the issue is something I did or duplicated.  Thanks 

1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

ISY can handle 100s of events per second. So, that's not the issue. Scene support in HA depends on the integration and not HA. So, that's not the issue either. Based on the programs, there are only 3 lines that "may" contribute to the delay. And that's the network resources lines.

With kind regards,
Michel

I have an EISY scene - Outside - it has roughly 15 different Insteon (and now 5 lutron) devices.  Sometimes i need an extra ON command.  This doesnt work great in HA.

So I can confirm that removing the network resources fixed that issue - the lights now flash 3 seconds after the alarm goes off - works perfectly!  Thank you!

So one other question regarding HA and EISY - im not sure how to send a second off command to a scene.  I have a toggle switch of off or on, sometimes 95% of the scene is off and i need another off command to get it all the way off.   The UD app lets me send an off or fast off - not sure how to do that in HA.

Just now, bgrubb1 said:

@RichTJ99

Did you open EVERY program and save it and EVERY Network Resource and save it post migration per the instructions ?

No - unfortunately i did not do that but that will be tonights project.  Is there a way to save a program i dont want to use?  I have some older programs from my last house which i have  - not used but more for reference in replicating things - they reference nodes that dont exist - can i keep those without using them?

2 hours ago, bgrubb1 said:

Did you open EVERY program and save it and EVERY Network Resource and save it post migration per the instructions ?

@RichTJ99 I think just the network resources needed to be opened and saved. Not each program. But read the steps again in the Wiki just to be sure. 

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide#What_to_Expect_During_Migration

2 hours ago, RichTJ99 said:

I have some older programs from my last house which i have  - not used but more for reference in replicating things - they reference nodes that dont exist - can i keep those without using them?

As @bgrubb1 suggests you can disable them, but perhaps a different thought would be to put them in a folder (maybe labeled “old house”) and set a folder condition that will always be false. You can also disable them inside the folder, but setting the folder condition makes sure if they become enabled that they won’t run because the folder would be false. Look up folder conditions in the Wiki or ISY Cookbook (links found in the Wiki). 

Another option is to right click on the root of the “My Programs” list and select Copy to Clipboard (or maybe copy folder...I’m not at my admin console to see actual wording). Then paste ALL your programs into a text editor (like Notepad on Windows….NOT WORD!). Then save that document and you have a reference to ALL your programs. Then you can delete the old ones just so they aren’t at risk being in the system. Just don’t use “export”…you only want to COPY then paste to Notepad!

PS: Run Update Packages again. You need to update IoX to _5

Hi - i did go through all the programs and made sure everything is disabled.  Some programs referenced things that arent in the system so i deleted those but i did update, disable, and save all the programs that werent in use.  I also updated and saved the network resources.

I will update the firmware also.  Still not entirely sure how to get better / more consistent EISY responsiveness in HA similar to my old ISY994.

3 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@RichTJ99,

Did you remove the above 3 lines from your program?????

With kind regards,
Michel

Michel,

I did try a few variations and this one works perfectly - you were correct about removing the two network resources, I did put the email back in & it still works great - thank you for helping me figure that one out!

Driveway Start - [ID 0092][Parent 0008][Run At Startup]

If
        'Leak - Motion - Trigger - Spr / Main: Trigger Drive-Opened' is switched On

Then
        Run Program 'Driveway Alarm Lights2' (If)
        Wait  10 seconds
        Run Program 'Driveway Alarm Basement' (If)
        Wait  10 seconds
        Send Notification to 'Rich Email' content 'Driveway Alarm Alert'
        Run Program 'Driveway Alarm Master Bath' (If)

Else

• Like 2