Backup File Size Inconsistent

Is anyone else seeing very inconsistent backup files sizes?  I was getting around 1.9Mb in early Sept.  Then it switched to around 28Mb for a few backups and now with 3.2.10 it is around 14Mb.  I even see a while back that I could take one backup and it was in the 1.9 Mb  size and then immediately take another and it would be in the 20s. See image

Untitled.png

@btreinders I'm not sure how many node servers you are running, but I just ran 4 backups and all were the same file size. They're not very big so I'm not running near as many as you to even get to 1.9Mb size. 

I have a backup from about 2 weeks ago that was within 1% the size that the 3 new backups were and I haven't added any node server. I've only updated to PG3x Version 3.2.12.

My testing:

• 2 backups run about 60 seconds apart
  • 1 backup after restarting the Hue node server (file changed by 1kb)
  • 1 backup after 10 minutes after rebooting entire device (file changed by 2kb)

Not sure what all is getting backed up, but if log files are included that might make the difference that I had, but it's not anywhere near the size difference you're showing.

Might be something UDI should look at or maybe @bmercier or @bpwwer could give some insight on why you're seeing such big differences. 

3 hours ago, btreinders said:

I am running 14 "Plugins" as they are called now. :) 

ARGH! The great "name change" of 2023! :(

They'll always be node servers in my heart! ;)

Just for S&G I ran another backup now and it's the same size as the last one I ran 4 hours ago. I doubt logs are backed up since that would be 4 hours of additional logging. Have you  updated PG3x? You mentioned you're on 3.2.10. Looks like 3.2.13 was released yesterday.

[S&G = Sh!ts & Giggles]

32 minutes ago, Geddy said:

ARGH! The great "name change" of 2023! :(

They'll always be node servers in my heart! ;)

Just for S&G I ran another backup now and it's the same size as the last one I ran 4 hours ago. I doubt logs are backed up since that would be 4 hours of additional logging. Have you  updated PG3x? You mentioned you're on 3.2.10. Looks like 3.2.13 was released yesterday.

[S&G = Sh!ts & Giggles]

I remember years back a forum admin threatened to throw me out of the forum if I used the term  "dongle"  again, for some plug-in device being discuss(t)ed. :)  Sometimes, "walk away" is not the right action. "Run away" is the better action.

Edited by larryllix
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, larryllix said:

I remember years back a forum admin threatened to throw me out of the forum if I used the term  "dongle"  again

That's long "before my time"! It's "anything goes" kind of times. So "plug-in" your "dongle" where every you see fit! Just remember to reboot before and after and backup, backup, backup!   :)

@larryllix you're one of the many that have always been helpful and supportive of so many here through the years. I'm surprised anybody would threaten to toss you out. That would be a huge loss for this support system.

We all know (or can agree) that naming "things" is more a marketing function...that it's not a programmer strength! :D

Thanks @Michel Kohanim for the info!

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Here?

Regarding the name change, with increasing demand for eisy and integrations with other things, I just got tired of explaining what a node server is. So, apologies for the change.

With kind regards,
Michel

Not here. A previous forum regarding some memory key or USB device. Dongle was just becoming a common place word but the moderator did not like whatever the things was, called a dongle. Strangley enough the forum website closed up about a week later. LOL

Definitions change and word meanings change with them, unfortunately.
eg: "You're so badass"

9 hours ago, Geddy said:

That's long "before my time"! It's "anything goes" kind of times. So "plug-in" your "dongle" where every you see fit! Just remember to reboot before and after and backup, backup, backup!   :)

@larryllix you're one of the many that have always been helpful and supportive of so many here through the years. I'm surprised anybody would threaten to toss you out. That would be a huge loss for this support system.

We all know (or can agree) that naming "things" is more a marketing function...that it's not a programmer strength! :D

Thanks @Michel Kohanim for the info!

Another one I remember was in an American Walmart, I asked where the "USB Memory Keys" were and about 3 separate sales persons told me they do not have such a thing. Once I found them on my own and showed them (3 behind the counter) what I was holding, they told me those were "Flashdrives" not "memory keys" :) :)

On 10/25/2023 at 6:18 PM, btreinders said:

@Geddy I am running 14 "Plugins" as they are called now. :)  That is a good point, it could be log files for sure making them inconsistent.  I have been playing around with those.  We'll see if @bmercier or @bpwwer might be able to confirm that but to go from 1.9 to 22MB from the morning to the afternoon the same day seems very odd.

@Geddy, @btreinders, I don't know why there would be such a big difference. This is just a regular tar archive. I would suggest to open up 2 archives, one large and one smaller, and see if you can spot a difference. They should contain the PG3 database, and the content of the nodeserver folders. You can use a tool like alzip to open a tar archive on Windows.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, btreinders said:

@bmercier  The large one had a python3.9.core file in it that was 465 MB for the Kasa NS.

I believe this is a core dump from Python.

I would suggest to:

1. Check the date and time of the code dump.
  2. Find the Kasa log file matching the date of the core dump, and transfer to your PC. (If not today's log, that will be a tar archive).
  3. Use a tool like Alzip to open the archive and get the log for that data.
  4. Check the node server log entries just before the time of the core dump. It could help to find out the cause of the crash.