ISY994 to EISY questions. Anyone in Minnesota who's done this and willing to allow a visit?

mvgossman

My ISY994 works perfectly, no complaints. The only reason to upgrade to the eisy for me would be for irresistible features, and I suppose better stability and room for growth in the future. Naturally, I'm worried about encountering a major problem and wishing I hadn't undergone the major surgery.

SO!

1. Is the interface for programming scenes, devices, etc. still done through the iOx Launcher Admin panel via Java? A nice new feature would be a more robust Admin panel.

2. Is the MobilLinc Pro app still usable?

3. And while I'm at it, is there a way to interface to a different PLM? I've been fortunate, my two PLMSs (two homes) are going strong, but my luck could run out.

4. Any other great features to be gained?

1 hour ago, mvgossman said:

My ISY994 works perfectly, no complaints. The only reason to upgrade to the eisy for me would be for irresistible features, and I suppose better stability and room for growth in the future. Naturally, I'm worried about encountering a major problem and wishing I hadn't undergone the major surgery.

SO!

1. Is the interface for programming scenes, devices, etc. still done through the iOx Launcher Admin panel via Java? A nice new feature would be a more robust Admin panel.

2. Is the MobilLinc Pro app still usable?

3. And while I'm at it, is there a way to interface to a different PLM? I've been fortunate, my two PLMSs (two homes) are going strong, but my luck could run out.

4. Any other great features to be gained?

Nothing changes from what you are accustomed to and how those things work. Mobilinc hasn't been updated in years (disco'd),  so while it'll work, it will not be capable of doing everything that EISY does. 

You have access to the nodeserver store which has been covered extensively on these forums so I wont go into details on that.. There is a whole subsection on the forums with the different nodeservers that are available. In addition, if you get the zmatter dongle, you have access to zwave, zigbee (growing support), and Matter in the future.  

7 hours ago, mvgossman said:

What is the app on the iPhone called that allows access to the full range of features?

UD Mobile - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#UD_Mobile

7 hours ago, mvgossman said:

Mobillinc does seem rather dated.

Just like the ISY994, but it does still work for everything that worked with the ISY994 (in my findings anyway). Mobilinc just doesn't handle z-wave, zigbee, or devices added via node servers (now plugins).

As @lilyoyo1 says not much has really changed in the standard way of doing things. Just the plugins really expand the interconnectivity for devices to be controlled by the IoX system. 

There are a few growing pains to be expected with any major system overhaul. Don't get gun shy about any issues on the forums - you've got to put yourself in the shoes of the people posting. Mostly only problem transitions get posted because people need help. Those that sail through migration tend not to post because they don't need help.

Read the forums for the plugins (formerly Node Server). Take a look at the list and additional information available through this list: https://polyglot.universal-devices.com/

Familiarize yourself with the wiki and the migration process. 

9 hours ago, mvgossman said:

The eisy only has USB connections for the PLM. UDI sells a kit to convert the Serial PLM to a USB connection. Or you can buy a new USB PLM from Insteon. Or buy a Serial PLM to have as a backup just in case. Both versions seem to be in stock - https://shop.insteon.com/collections/interfaces

Thank you, "Geddy", I've been fat dumb and happy for a long time with the system I have. I wasn't aware of the new PLMs, that was a crisis for the unlucky people whose systems were hanging by that crucial device as I recall.

I guess I'll go whole hog with the eisy and get a USB PLM. I've got too much invested in Insteon switches to bail on it, nothing I've found has the functionality I want. I'm finding Insteon switches and other things to be pretty easy still on eBay, thankfully.

• Like 1