Factory Reset Z-Wave Dongle

madmartian

I decided to start from scratch with Z-wave on the eISY dongle after previously migrating the Z-Wave settings from the 994i. I do a lot of testing of devices and most of the Z-Wave devices aren't even plugged in, so the migration did funny things. Time to start from scratch and only add the Z-Wave devices I'm actually using - while keeping Insteon nodes as-is.

When I go to Z-Wave/Advanced/Factory Reset Z-Wave Dongle, a message pops up that I don't understand (see attached image).

What else do I need to do? (exact menu selections and correct order appreciated)

The goal is:

Complete reset of Z-Wave, including removal of all Z-Wave nodes and starting the numbering from scratch as I add them back in. As if I had never added a Z-Wave device and was just starting. Without erasing any Insteon nodes... Those migrated perfectly.

I will individually reset each Z-Wave device before adding it back.

Z-WaveFactoryReset.png

@madmartian There is a discussion of SIS and SUC Z-wave controllers over here: https://www.vesternet.com/en-us/pages/your-guide-to-a-user-friendly-stable-z-wave-network

What I gather from this is that the SIS controller is the "repository" of all device node information in the Z-wave network.  If you had other controllers in the network, they would be unable to operate after you reset the SIS.

This is my first exposure to the SIS concept.  Since you are resetting your entire network (all devices and dongle), I don't believe there is an issue. 

Curious if anyone has a different take...

The warning message says, "unless you plan on restoring a backup of the z-wave dongle [I don't] you should remove this ISY from the Z-Wave network before doing a factory reset"

That warning implies additional step(s) before and possibly after doing the factory reset of the Z-Wave dongle, but does not specify the exact steps. I am looking for the specific menu selections to do both before and after the Z-Wave reset. This does not appear to be documented anywhere.

@madmartian I'm not the strongest users for Z-Wave so only going off what I've read on the forums. I think this is a warning that the ISY should be removed as the controller for the Z-Wave network before you proceed. From what I hear others reply with is when adding Z-Wave devices you have to do an exclude process then include process. I think it's similar to factory resetting Insteon devices before adding them in to clear out prior programming. 

Since you will remove the primary controller from the ISY system the devices would still be looking for the ZMatter controller. (I assume you're using the Z-Matter, but please correct if that is a wrong assumption). 

You're right, I don't see any documentation anywhere. So if you're worried about the process please open a ticket with UDI Support to get the answer you're looking for as most here have not (recently) attempted to rebuild an entire Z-Wave install. 

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets/

As an additional comment, I might suggest you make a text copy/backup of your programs so you can recreate any Z-Wave related programs once you have the devices added back to your system. The programs should stay in place, but have broken links to the missing devices, but text file might also be something to assist you in the process of repairing those programs. Right click on the root of the programs tree (mine is "My Programs") then select "Copy Folder to Clipboard", then paste that to a text editor (i.e. Notepad for Windows). 

The word from Michel is "no, that's only if your eisy was a secondary controller to something else."

Confusing warning message in that case...

So looks like I can just click "yes" on the reset warning screen without any pre or post operations. I will post again if I have any issues.

• Like 1