Think I Need To Replace My ISY994i

NewTech
Go to solution Solved by DennisC,

Hello!

I've been a long time ISY user however, I think my current ISY994i (S/N 34.0021b9023291) needs to be replaced because I am unable to reset it. I would like to know what I need to purchase as a plug-n-play replacement. I cannot give you the firmware level because I am no longer able to login in! I currently have all Insteon modules along with a Google Nest Mini. I have no idea where to begin in doing research for a replacement. Hoping someone can assist me with this decision!

THANK YOU in advance!

Mike

1 hour ago, NewTech said:

I am unable to reset it.
<snip>
because I am no longer able to login in!

First you should troubleshoot the ISY994 to determine if it's salvageable because there's no real "plug-n-play replacement". 

Review this from the wiki as first step of troubleshooting:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Front_Panel_LEDs/Lights

Depending on what the lights do (or don't do) on boot determines next step. More than likely it's simply the power supply failed. Replacement power supply information in the wiki link above.

Questions for us to help further:

• Is anything working (programs, scenes, Google commands)?
  • Have you changed any home networking equipment lately?
  • What computer OS are you using to try to connect to admin console?
  • Do you have a "recent" backup? (i.e. from the last time you made adjustments to the ISY994)

It's unlikely an ISY994 just fails. Let's try to get it running/working again before you go looking for a replacement.

However, to give you an idea of a replacement - if you're going to stay in the Universal Devices system they have the eisy. You can read more about it on UDI's site and the wiki. That would be the closest you could get to a "plug-n-play replacement", but that needs a recent firmware backup from the ISY994 (4.9 or 5.x). Or you could look for a used ISY994 (see the coffee shop forum area or maybe ebay) and if you had a backup could try restoring that.

• Like 1

Thank you....

I was FINALLY able to get it to reset however it took several tries of using a paperclip to activate the reset button. 

We had a brief internet outage yesterday (about 3 minutes) and I had to reset the modem. When we got home in the evening the ISY wasn't available and we walked into a totally dark house!!

Any idea why it is necessary to activate the reset button so many times???

16 minutes ago, NewTech said:

Any idea why it is necessary to activate the reset button so many times???

Not sure. I never recall trying the reset button on the ISY994. I would have just performed a power cycle. 

If you reset the router (or modem/gateway) make sure you’re using DHCP reservation for the ISY994 so it will reconnect to the same IP address. If you have the device set to static and there is an IIP conflict it’s possible it didn’t reconnect to your network correctly. The ISY994 should be set to Auto DHCP and the router/gateway should handle the DHCP reservation for the device.

• Solution
16 hours ago, NewTech said:

was FINALLY able to get it to reset however it took several tries of using a paperclip to activate the reset button

That is used for a factory reset which would return the device to out of the box condition, erasing all programs.

If you are back in, make a backup of your device. If you are going to upgrade, and you probably should, you will need to update your firmware to a version that supports migration.

Be best to read through information supplied by @Geddy.

The reset button actually had more than one function.

If you held it for a short time (yes I forgot exact length). You reset the console access and password to admin. If you hold it longer. 30 seconds sound like it maybe it. You did a full factory reset on it and you needed use a procedure to add firmware to it.