Can no longer delete old scenes within Alexa.

DannyFresh
Go to solution Solved by lgilsenberg,

I cannot seem to find a way to “clean up” Alexa by deleting old scenes. After modifying scenes in the ISY portal and rediscovering them, duplicate scene names appear within the Alexa app. Upon using voice to trigger said scenes, Alexa responds with, “There are multiple devices with the name xxxxx, please give your devices unique names and start discovery again.”  Deleting devices and spoken names within the portal makes no difference. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

On 12/10/2023 at 7:07 PM, DannyFresh said:

I cannot seem to find a way to “clean up” Alexa by deleting old scenes. After modifying scenes in the ISY portal and rediscovering them, duplicate scene names appear within the Alexa app. Upon using voice to trigger said scenes, Alexa responds with, “There are multiple devices with the name xxxxx, please give your devices unique names and start discovery again.”  Deleting devices and spoken names within the portal makes no difference. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

On 12/15/2023 at 9:29 AM, pjjameso said:

Benoit Mercier wrote:

‘Amazon support would probably be in a better position to help.’

Looks like we are stuck……

To me, the Alexa App is unbelievably clunky and always has been.  Amazon should be ashamed of the UI on this app.  Not only that, just when you think it might be OK they constantly moving stuff around and half the stuff never shows up.  Overly complicated, etc. 

The service, echo, skills, integration, etc. all work great... top-notch...but the app itself just plain stinks

Everything in my house is working, but when I go into the app as stated above, the Scenes are no longer there.  Go into Devices and about 3 of them show up when you view all devices...but yet I have 64 of them with spoken words and all work perfectly.

I was trying to clean up an old scene that I deleted...that's how I found out none of them are in there. 

Another example, I went looking for the "Installed Skills" that I have installed for Alexa and I can not for the life of me find a list.  There is an Icon for "Skills and Games" that lists them all that I can install...I can search for one and if it is installed edit it, but I can't see where they moved the "Installed Skills" menu item to.

I am currently struggling with getting both my wife and I's profiles synced up to ISY.  Works fine for me...but not for her all the time on certain devices.  So today I figured I would relink to ISY and see if I could fix it.  Did a "Discover my devices" under her account and now I get the same message as above for everything:  “There are multiple devices with the name xxxxx, please give your devices unique names and start discovery again.”  So nothing works on her profile now.  And I can't see where to delete them from...as was said, the portal is working right...it is Alexa (and the app) that stinks.  Used to be you could use the Web Page and delete things in about 1 minute there...but now they force you to the app.

If I find anything out will post back here...please do the same.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, ulrick65 said:

To me, the Alexa App is unbelievably clunky and always has been.  Amazon should be ashamed of the UI on this app.  Not only that, just when you think it might be OK they constantly moving stuff around and half the stuff never shows up.  Overly complicated, etc. 

The service, echo, skills, integration, etc. all work great... top-notch...but the app itself just plain stinks

Everything in my house is working, but when I go into the app as stated above, the Scenes are no longer there.  Go into Devices and about 3 of them show up when you view all devices...but yet I have 64 of them with spoken words and all work perfectly.

I was trying to clean up an old scene that I deleted...that's how I found out none of them are in there. 

Another example, I went looking for the "Installed Skills" that I have installed for Alexa and I can not for the life of me find a list.  There is an Icon for "Skills and Games" that lists them all that I can install...I can search for one and if it is installed edit it, but I can't see where they moved the "Installed Skills" menu item to.

I am currently struggling with getting both my wife and I's profiles synced up to ISY.  Works fine for me...but not for her all the time on certain devices.  So today I figured I would relink to ISY and see if I could fix it.  Did a "Discover my devices" under her account and now I get the same message as above for everything:  “There are multiple devices with the name xxxxx, please give your devices unique names and start discovery again.”  So nothing works on her profile now.  And I can't see where to delete them from...as was said, the portal is working right...it is Alexa (and the app) that stinks.  Used to be you could use the Web Page and delete things in about 1 minute there...but now they force you to the app.

If I find anything out will post back here...please do the same.

Thanks.

There used to be a delete all devices at the bottom of the devices page on the Windows amazon alexa webpage to delete things. Of course now you only get a QR code that takes your mobile phone to the alexa app on your mobile device. **SIGH**.

Like everybody else these days, they don't care how many laptops, PCs, or other home computing devices you have they must have a lock on your mobile device so they know where you are at all times. I formerly thought we only rented these devices and didn't own them but now I think we are only renting our bodies and don't own them either.

Stay tuned for the amazon under-the skin chip, for full convenience and control. 50% off on children under age 12, but only if you act now!!

Connects wirelessly with the hidden 800 & 400 MHz bands all amazon devices, version 2+ have. No user setup required.

5 hours ago, larryllix said:

There used to be a delete all devices at the bottom of the devices page on the Windows amazon alexa webpage to delete things. Of course now you only get a QR code that takes your mobile phone to the alexa app on your mobile device. **SIGH**.

Like everybody else these days, they don't care how many laptops, PCs, or other home computing devices you have they must have a lock on your mobile device so they know where you are at all times. I formerly thought we only rented these devices and didn't own them but now I think we are only renting our bodies and don't own them either.

Stay tuned for the amazon under-the skin chip, for full convenience and control. 50% off on children under age 12, but only if you act now!!

Connects wirelessly with the hidden 800 & 400 MHz bands all amazon devices, version 2+ have. No user setup required.

You got that right Larry...

@DannyFresh Looks like it is indeed an Amazon/Alexa app issue...a recent thread on their forums is discussing it (unrelated to UDI).

https://amazonforum.my.site.com/s/question/0D56Q0000CYidpiSQB/cant-find-scenes-anymore

Honestly, I've never added a scene as an option in Alexa so thankfully haven't had an issue. What happens if you delete the Scene from the ISY Portal run the "discover devices" on the Alexa device (or app). Does it forget it or wipe it out if it can't find it through the portal connection?

If so then add back as a different device - you can add a scene but classify it as a light (Category)

image.png

Perhaps even changing the scene to another category might push it into a different section in the app (just a shot in the dark). 

On 12/16/2023 at 8:05 PM, ulrick65 said:

Another example, I went looking for the "Installed Skills" that I have installed for Alexa and I can not for the life of me find a list. 

I'm on iOS and as of today if you open the app, click on "More" (lower right) then click on "Skills & Games" and scroll all the way to the bottom there's an option for "Your Skills". After clicking that it will show you what skills you have installed.

I wonder if you disable the UDI skill and then clean up the listings on ISY Portal and then re-connect the skill if it will wipe everything out in the process. I know @larryllix has commented before that Alexa will randomly remove devices it cannot connect to because he's had to rebuild some routines because of that issue in the past. 

And @larryllix yes, I really miss the old alexa.amazon.com site. It was so easy to use a computer to update/change things. Agreed that many companies are forcing users to rely on their mobile device to update/use/manipulate their stuff. As some here complain about the Java access to admin console I hope that never goes away (or changes to another computer based option) because trying to program intricate home automation on a mobile device is painful. (IMO)

• Like 2

Ok, I have found a work around for this issue. I happen to have an older iPad with a previous version of the Alexa app installed. Luckily for me, I currently had auto updating of apps turned off. When I launch the older version, “Scenes” is still available. I can confirm that I am able to delete duplicate, as well as any unused scenes that are not in use any longer. However, when I launch discovery Alexa only discovered a single scene via the portal in which I have many. I am going to due some more testing and will report my findings ASAP. 

ps. I am the original poster of this topic. I was logged in through my portal credentials when posting this follow up. 

Edited by DKeating01
Different user name logged.
  • Thanks 1

Same Problem.  We have become very reliant on this singularity (Dangerous).  All of my devices do not show up in the device list (Only 8 of them). However, when I go to Groups and add devices to a group all 85 of them show up including the duplicates and some triplicates. Just can’t delete them.  The stupidity of allowing a duplicates and then later telling me “I found more than one device with the name xxxxx give them unique name…” How about not allowing duplicates in the first place. And now they have removed the ability to delete them.  First they screw up (allowing duplicates) then they screw up a second time by remove the feature to fix the first screw up (Deleting Devices).  My reliance on this is unfortunately large and Amazon may not actively support the fringe tech guys, however this is my main reason for paying for Prime each year.

Same Problem.  We have become very reliant on this singularity (Dangerous).  All of my devices do not show up in the device list (Only 8 of them). However, when I go to Groups and add devices to a group all 85 of them show up including the duplicates and some triplicates. Just can’t delete them.  The stupidity of allowing a duplicates and then later telling me “I found more than one device with the name xxxxx give them unique name…” How about not allowing duplicates in the first place. And now they have removed the ability to delete them.  First they screw up (allowing duplicates) then they screw up a second time by remove the feature to fix the first screw up (Deleting Devices).  My reliance on this is unfortunately large and Amazon may not actively support the fringe tech guys, however this is my main reason for paying for Prime each year.

I cancel prime in January every year with no repercussions.

Alexa boxes are not dependent on Prime memberships.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

• Solution

I found an alternative way to delete scenes in the Alexa app . . .

You would need to add the scene to a Group, then delete it from there.

1. Open the Alexa App.
  2. Select Devices, then select a Group and hit "Edit" in the top right corner.
  3. Scroll all the way down and add these extra Scenes to the Group and save.
  4. While looking at the Group, scroll down and tap on the Scene and then you'll see the trash can icon to delete it.

Not elegant, but it works

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
18 hours ago, lgilsenberg said:

1. Open the Alexa App.
  4. While looking at the Group, scroll down and tap on the Scene and then you'll see the trash can icon to delete it.

Thanks very much for this....pain in the backside, but works like a champ!

This proves the app still recognizes the scenes, but for some reason, they are no longer accessible from the main devices list.

I hope this is not a precursor of things to come and they are removing the ability to deal with scenes.  I assume someone at UDM has looked into it...whoever developed the Alexa Skill perhaps.  If they are phasing out support for scenes, I assume developers would be aware of it?

@Chris Jahn - Chris, any insight on this, or perhaps can you pass it along to someone who might be able to look into it to make sure it is just an APP issue and not something more?

Thanks.

On 12/24/2023 at 7:31 PM, lgilsenberg said:

1. Open the Alexa App.

jbonvallet you solved the problem!!!!   You are a genius!  Thank you so much!

Related, but slightly off topic, I'm unable to find the Alexa app ISY Portal 'Discover' option. It's been a while since I tinkered with this. I've updated some items in the ISY portal but observe in the Alexa app that the Discover option, which used to be at the bottom of the devices list, is not there now - instead it's been replaced. by a couple of options to shop smart plugs or cameras .... ugh.

Appreciate any help.

7 hours ago, Stan in CT said:

Alexa app that the Discover option, which used to be at the bottom of the devices list, is not there now

Use voice discovery command: "Alexa, discover devices"    (replace "alexa" with your current "wake word")