New to Yolink?

I have no idea if there is a sub forum for Yolink, I'm very new to this forum and Yolink.  Recently purchased the hub and a temperature sensor.  I've been able to connect to wifi with both modules.  Not very many updates on the temperature sensor, can I set what the intervals are for updates?  Then all of a sudden I lost connectivity with the temperature sensor.  I just spent countless hours trying to get a L-Cros system going, gave up as the wifi connectivity was awful, couldn't stay connected.  So I decided to try Yolink, hope I made a good choice, tks for having me.l

Hi, welcome

10 hours ago, Crunchie58 said:

I have no idea if there is a sub forum for Yolink, I'm very new to this forum and Yolink.  Recently purchased the hub and a temperature sensor. 

Yes, navigating the forum can be a handful, because the ISY can do a lot. You've posted in the right location in this yolink subforum

On to YoLink. I am a recent adopter too, specifically the 8003 basic temp and humidity sensors. The yolink app is an integral part of getting updates timely. I can provide bullets that I think will help:

• Wi-Fi and yolink radios:
    • Yolink needs good wifi from the yolink controller to the ISY. IMO, its much more important to place the yolink hub in location that lets it get good wifi signal than worry about sensor location
    • Yonlink sensors use a special long range radios to communicate with the hub, not wifi
    • Long range is a relative term, but I suggest setting up as I outlined above
  • Yolink temp/humid sensor update timing
    • The 8003 sensors by default have a long cycle to save battery. 
    • You can affect this, using the app
      • Find the sensor in the app, select it
      • Click on the 3 dots on the upper right next to the sensor name
      • pick alerts
      • Set the temp/humidity slide controls to define normal expected temp
      • Once the sensor crosses from normal to alert, it will update more frequently
      • You can also set your own Alert interval at the bottom
      • In the FAQs it discusses this a little more
  • What I did:
    • I have a enclosed 2nd floor laundry room, and a second floor master bath that I want to control humidity venting for
    • Installed an Insteon i3 paddles to control the fans in each location
    • Installed an 8003 near the switches in each location
    • Used the yolink app history graph for each location after laundry and showers
    • Picked alert ranges for each.
    • Temp and humidity have lives of there own, and for the laundry room, temp was a better indicator
    • Wrote really basic ISY programs for each that looks for => alert level
    • I'll probably have to revisit based on seasonal relative humidity. For now, it works as desired

Master Bath Fan Control - [ID 003A][Parent 0006]

If
        'HVAC / Master Bath Temp Humidity Sen' Current Rel Humidity (%) >= 44.0%

Then
        Set 'HVAC / Master Bath Fan' On

Else
        Set 'HVAC / Master Bath Fan' Off

I've got most of your response figured out, thank you.  couple of things, what does ISY stand for (I figured it's the hub?). 

When you say the sensors have a long cycle to save battery, do you know how long the cycle is when it's not outside the alert range?

The temperature in my freezer is -18c but doesn't seem like the sensor is picking up below -8 or -9c?  Mind you I just got this system up and running yesterday so still toying with it.

Thanks a bunch, this seems like a very decent forum, glad to be a part, from Northwestern Quebec.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Crunchie58 said:

what does ISY stand for (I figured it's the hub?). 

@Crunchie58 welcome to the Universal Devices forums. ISY is the controller service for devices that Universal Devices manufacture. Currently their offering is the eisy product. 

You can learn more about Universal Devices from their website: https://www.universal-devices.com/

This site is not affiliated with YoLink. This area is meant more for the YoLink plugin that works with the eisy to allow the YoLink products to work with other home automation products that the eisy controls.

If you're looking for specific YoLink support you should review their site: https://shop.yosmart.com/

I think the support section of YoLink's site gives an idea of how often the temp will update. I've not used their products personally so don't know that answer. 

20 minutes ago, Crunchie58 said:

I've got most of your response figured out, thank you.  couple of things, what does ISY stand for (I figured it's the hub?). 

When you say the sensors have a long cycle to save battery, do you know how long the cycle is when it's not outside the alert range?

The temperature in my freezer is -18c but doesn't seem like the sensor is picking up below -8 or -9c?  Mind you I just got this system up and running yesterday so still toying with it.

Thanks a bunch, this seems like a very decent forum, glad to be a part, from Northwestern Quebec.

No, by hub I mean yolink... yolink has a hub you have to use to integrate the sensors

Yolink sensors -> Yolink hub -> ISY Yolink Plugin -> ISY

You want the yolink hub to have good wifi and be close to your wifi router so it has good communication. The sensors can be further away. 

I had to send notifications, the cycle could be a very long time if the temp doesn't change, like 40mins to an hour? I haven't found a way with the plugin to access this, but that app does show last update in minutes. An ISY program could be written to track this

I have had 30+ devices running on Yolink for almost a year now. I placed my hub in the center of the devices. They are spread out up to 250 feet in all directions around it.

Also the ISY Yolink plugin/nodeserver is rock solid and support great. 

It sounds like you may not even have an ISY in the mixture. So as said above maybe the yolink site might be a better place to go.

In any case here is a bit of info on their sampling parameters

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 6.03.03 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 6.03.23 AM.png

• Like 2

I think the thinking should be - trust the YoLink temp sensor to send updates when something changes.  Even if you query the temp sensor, I believe you only get data from the cloud - If you were to query the temp sensor for data, battery would run out faster and you would get no real extra info (as temperature has not changed).  Note, there is an update every 1 hour (I believe it is)

It may be possible to get info on when last temp sensor measurement was made but time is not handled easily in the ISY.  I could look into it, but need to understand the use case.  The node/device being on-line shoudl be a similar indicator - again - I do nto believe I can force a reading from the temp sensor - it is only reporting the cached data from the YoLink cloud server (as YoLink believe their device will send data when something changes)

13 hours ago, stevehoyt said:

I have had 30+ devices running on Yolink for almost a year now. I placed my hub in the center of the devices. They are spread out up to 250 feet in all directions around it.

Also the ISY Yolink plugin/nodeserver is rock solid and support great. 

It sounds like you may not even have an ISY in the mixture. So as said above maybe the yolink site might be a better place to go.

In any case here is a bit of info on their sampling parameters

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 6.03.03 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 6.03.23 AM.png

You're probably right in saying I don't have an ISY in the mix, I have a Yolink hub and a YS8004 Temperature sensor.  I will follow the advice and try and connect with a Yolink support forum, if that exists.  I just sent an email to their support address.

7 hours ago, Panda88 said:

If you are not trying to integrate YoLink onto an ISY, it is not the correct forum - there is a discord channel for Yolink - Yolink-power-user-group

I just signed up at Discord, entered Yolink in the search box, nothing showed up.