UD Mobile ISY vs. eisy

Now that Mobilinc stopped working for me on my ISY994, I can only use UD Mobile. While I appreciate that there is no fee, I find it very difficult to use. The status of each light does not always properly update and there is no way to sort by devices that are on vs. off.

Are there any other alternatives to UD Mobile (even if there is a cost)?

Does UD Mobile work any differently on eisy (for me to consider upgrading)?

Thanks in advance.

UD Mobile is extremely powerful, but yes it is a bit confusing to learn. 

The first thing I would suggest is to think about setting up you favorites screen (s). 

Then you dont really have to go through all your devices, or programs or vaiarialbes to run them. They will all run from the favorites screen. 

The challenge here is that you have to understand how to set up a favorite so that it can be a command, it can link to one device, but run a different program when pressed etc. You can add colors, but they are done in ACSI... I will post some more info soon for you to look at. 

It is WELL WORTH the effort once you get a handle on it. 

2 hours ago, gadgetfreak said:

The status of each light does not always properly update.

This should not happen, but can be caused by

• incorrect configuration (local / remote settings) 
  • Failing PLM (Admin Console also shows an incorrect value when both AC and UDM are open and status is changed).
5 hours ago, gadgetfreak said:

Now that Mobilinc stopped working for me on my ISY994, I can only use UD Mobile.

Sounds like you might have some setup issues. My Moblinc Pro works just fine with my eisy. I have Mobilinc Pro installed on iOS and have UD Portal subscription so I use the my.isy.io and portal credentials to setup remote access on Mobilinc. 

Though I do suggest using UD Mobile since it's much more robust for Polisy/eisy users I still like the setup I have with Mobilinc and the ease if/when I need a mobile app. 

Be sure you're setting up Moblinc as described in the wiki: 
https://wiki.universal-devices.com/ISY_Portal_MobiLinc_Configuration

5 hours ago, gadgetfreak said:

Here are some screen shots from my favorites groups.. there are folders that contain second and third level screens. I'll try to describe with each screen shot. 

MAIN PAGE THAT APP IS SET TO OPEN TO:

image.thumb.jpeg.6a353563f78dc4f87aa653f21ee31779.jpeg

SCROLLING DOWN FROM ABOVE, MAIN PAGE IS TWO PAGES LONG

image.thumb.jpeg.e7394e072837be3157103797e4ad8285.jpeg

Clicking on any of the icons above, will either run a programs true or false (toggling), or bring up the node for full control, or in the case of Russound Controls, its a folder that takes you to this page where I can toggle each zone on / off or change the volume in increments by running a programs Then command:

image.thumb.jpeg.9e004fbe758626956969f68b478bdd38.jpeg

Touching the Enable / disable on the main page takes me to this page where I can toggle key areas / functions of hte house by running a programs then or Else, toggling, that changes a variable which disables / enables folders/programs etc. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9e660a9c13a3e2abe94371571c66016a.jpeg

Touching the Weather icon on the main page takes you to a page of weather info from my tempest via a plugin to ISY.

image.thumb.jpeg.691bdbfbd5747882b75d4aa1ec4277b5.jpeg

Touching the room temps icon on the main page takes me here.

image.thumb.jpeg.0cc26da384f8d279481cc1d48a0ab9b1.jpeg

Camera icon takes me here....where I can select any individual camera to see more. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6999f741e413d3feddeb5e453f2be9ff.jpeg

Sprinkler takes me here where each top button folder icon takes me to the two next screens. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c2c349775039e15d5b23b817a4bb4792.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b4d95d0c02e9ed48fa6b0dace80696dd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6538cae77d73863a9db7168465c7cd69.jpeg

Anyway, I hope you get the idea... with a little bit of upfront time, it is really powerful and can be set up to be super easy to use according to your needs. 

cheers. 

• Like 4

I appreciate all of the responses. Although never directly answered, I assume that UD Mobile works the same way on eisy as on ISY so the experience won't be any different if I upgrade to eisy.

As for MobiLinc, it keeps on shutting down with a licensing error. But also, it is no longer available in the Google Play Store for my S23+. I had to sideload the apk file. So I assume it is no longer available but I can e-mail their support.

Finally, while I appreciate all the tips for tweaking UD Mobile, I am just looking for a way to see all of my devices and sort them by what is on vs. off. Is there an easy way to do that?

Thanks for all the help.

36 minutes ago, gadgetfreak said:

Although never directly answered, I assume that UD Mobile works the same way on eisy as on ISY so the experience won't be any different if I upgrade to eisy.

Yes, I believe it should be identical. I did not use UD Mobile when on the ISY994 so don't have firsthand knowledge, but know UD Mobile works with IoX 5.x and up. Since ISY994 ran 5.x it is supported and should work the same. 

In the UD Mobile Wiki there are steps for migrating from ISY994 to eisy.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/UD_Mobile

41 minutes ago, gadgetfreak said:

I am just looking for a way to see all of my devices and sort them by what is on vs. off. Is there an easy way to do that?

Sadly, no. This would be a nice addition, but not one I've seen. 

47 minutes ago, gadgetfreak said:

Finally, while I appreciate all the tips for tweaking UD Mobile, I am just looking for a way to see all of my devices and sort them by what is on vs. off. Is there an easy way to do that?

What I have done accomplishes it in a round-about way. If you notice on my main page I have several scenes on it: Main level, upstairs lights, outside back , outside front etc. 

I have configured them so that if any light is on in that scene, it will turn red. I can then easily turn them all off, or by clicking on the icon, it opens the scene and I can see specifically which light is on / off and control them individually. 

so in essence, I have groups that narrows down what is on, and then I can see each item. There are over 30 lights in my main level scene.  

• Like 1

Are you able to explain how you did that? Let me make a very simple test. I have three den lights: Den1, Den2, Den3. I created a folder in favorites called Den and place all three devices in that folder. How can I configure the color of that folder? When I try to edit/configure the folder, I get an error: "Display Node Required for Custom Config. 500".

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, gadgetfreak said:

Are you able to explain how you did that? Let me make a very simple test. I have three den lights: Den1, Den2, Den3. I created a folder in favorites called Den and place all three devices in that folder. How can I configure the color of that folder? When I try to edit/configure the folder, I get an error: "Display Node Required for Custom Config. 500".

Thanks.

I have scenes not folders for those items. You will need to create a scene with those three lights in them and then navigate to that scene for the UD Mobile favorite for it to "change" colors based on status. 

Here is are screen shots of the "Main Level" EDIT screen and Config Screens, and the devices listed under it if I click on it in normal mode (not edit mode). 

I do have generic folders where I have change the colors / icons such as the down arrow label "More Below". I have attached the set up for that particular folder, which literally does nothing but is a label for me. If I click on it, it just says empty. 

Hope that helps. 

IMG_544C80A3E328-1.thumb.jpeg.a530b4eec5942f007b20bb90007e764b.jpeg    Screenshot2024-01-23at6_01_35PM.thumb.jpeg.70ecc881532a02fbd86305604d2e7798.jpeg     IMG_40C24A225FC0-1.thumb.jpeg.e1adeddba1516ae361e46b09d0e465d3.jpegIMG_17B0D02662F3-1.thumb.jpeg.512a494b191267ed715ae7a2deeeab90.jpeg    IMG_4834B1AC8E52-1.thumb.jpeg.4fd42720896666edb9254ffaa3ef95b8.jpeg

Understood. Thanks. So I would have to create a new scene in ISY called Den and then use it here. 

To test, I already have a scene call Kitchen which includes my hi-hats, plus 3 switches. I created the scene and the icon has a top part (with the image and a blue circle) and a bottom part with the name of the Scene and the percentage. When I click on the top, something spins for a second but nothing changes. When I click the bottom, it brings me to a list of all the scene members. I can click off, fast off, etc. None seem to change the lights to off. Any idea why not?

@gadgetfreak  does your setup look like this? And are you sure you selected the right scene? You can double check it with the AC by looking at hte number of the scene. In this case, it's 51106. In the AC under the Scene name, once selected, it shows that number. Also be sure to hit save and lastly, one other thing is to occasionally go to (on the UD Mobile app) Settings then select the top opting, Systems , then select your system, and a screen should pop up with would yo like to synchronize now. Hit Yes and then delete any variables it says you dont need. I have found this keeps the two in sync whenever you make changes in the AC. 

image.png.537c451ab0dd6f10c19e7c0f3050da72.png

Sadly, I did everything you said and my kitchen lights are simply not showing the correct status. They are properly responding to the on and off commands but the status is not changing. And, if I can't get it to change, then all the advanced configs you described (i.e. changing icon colors) likely won't work. 

I am not sure what else to do. Thanks again for all of your help.

Can you clarify what isnt changing? the status in UD mobile, or the lights themselves, or both? 

I am assuming by your statement that it is the UDM status that is not changing? I have had issue in UD Mobile where the status doesn't change unless you change screens and go back to the screen.  This seemed to have resolved itself with the latest versions though. Are you on 1.1.48 of UDM?

Some other times, it is just a bit slow to change. Click it once and wait a bit to see if the status changes? 

If not resolved by the above, you should open a ticket. Or try making a backup of UDM, deleting the app, reloading it and then restoring from the backup you made. 

2 hours ago, gadgetfreak said:

Sadly, I did everything you said and my kitchen lights are simply not showing the correct status. They are properly responding to the on and off commands but the status is not changing. And, if I can't get it to change, then all the advanced configs you described (i.e. changing icon colors) likely won't work. 

I am not sure what else to do. Thanks again for all of your help.

Is this a Scene?   Scene's have estimated status as they don't have a native status. There are some scene members that can cause this estimate to be incorrect.  Devices such as Key Pad Buttons or battery powered devices need to be manually excluded from estimated status.

See: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/UD_Mobile#Scene_Estimated_Status

It was the status in UD that wasn't updating. The lights respond. And yes, I had two KPLs in the scene so I excluded them. Unfortunately, the status is still not updating :(.

BUT....I realized that the first KPL was actually the load. So I re-enabled that one and disabled the other KPL and the two slave switches and I think I have success. Thanks!

Is there any way to copy the mapped values/configuration from one scene to the next?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gadgetfreak said:

Is there any way to copy the mapped values/configuration from one scene to the next?

You can do a copy of a button under the edit mode and then edit the4new button for the new source data. However I found mixed results with it. 

19 minutes ago, gadgetfreak said:

Thanks. I'll try it. And, just to confirm, if I want to do the above for as many lights as possible, I need to create scenes in the AC first? Even if I am not using them for anything other than this capability? Thx.

It is up to what you want to achieve. You can list the individual lights as well. Some may prefer a folder for each room where each room has every light listed in it etc. Others might want scenes to simplify. The flexibility is there to do whatever it is you want. 

To be able to easily see what is on and off, you showed us how to create icons with customization where the color changes. I don't think I can do that with a folder as I get a Display Node Required error. So is the only way to get this type of icon display is to create scenes in AC?

4 minutes ago, gadgetfreak said:

To be able to easily see what is on and off, you showed us how to create icons with customization where the color changes. I don't think I can do that with a folder as I get a Display Node Required error. So is the only way to get this type of icon display is to create scenes in AC?

Yes. that is correct. But you can have. folder where all the lights are in it, but you will have to click on the folder to see the status of the lights.  Otherwise a scene can be the node and it can change based on conditions. 

Got it. But you can also just click on the ISY in the Home Screen and then My Devices to see everything - it just won't be organized by folder, room, etc. 

The tips you gave for the configuration of the icons is great. But copying the mapped values isn't working for me. This will be a real pain to set up for each device or scene.

3 minutes ago, gadgetfreak said:

This will be a real pain to set up for each device or scene.

Try setting the Global Defaults first,   Then if you have a device that does not conform set it's mapped values individually.

15 minutes ago, gadgetfreak said:

Got it. But you can also just click on the ISY in the Home Screen and then My Devices to see everything - it just won't be organized by folder, room, etc. 

The tips you gave for the configuration of the icons is great. But copying the mapped values isn't working for me. This will be a real pain to set up for each device or scene.

Yes it is a royal pain. But once completed it is pretty convenient. That is another reason to use scenes. less to configure.