USB PLM vs. Serial PLM -- any clear preference?

lhranch

I looked at the content of the thread ISY994 to EISY .. go with USB PLM or stay old Serial PLM ... ? to see what people thought, and I'm not sure anybody really answered the question I thought OP was asking. So let me ask it a little differently.

I also recently moved from ISY to eisy, and just afterward, had my serial PLM go belly up. I replaced it with a new-in-box serial PLM that I had on stock specifically due to my experiences with the fragility of PLMs... but now I need to restock a new spare.

I have no preference as to whether the new PLM is serial or USB, now that I could run either.

Given that I am entirely free to choose between both architectures, is there any advantage in reliability, efficiency. or (most important) demonstrated longevity between them that would make me prefer one over the other? Comm distance is not a factor for me.

1 hour ago, lhranch said:

I looked at the content of the thread ISY994 to EISY .. go with USB PLM or stay old Serial PLM ... ? to see what people thought, and I'm not sure anybody really answered the question I thought OP was asking. So let me ask it a little differently.

I also recently moved from ISY to eisy, and just afterward, had my serial PLM go belly up. I replaced it with a new-in-box serial PLM that I had on stock specifically due to my experiences with the fragility of PLMs... but now I need to restock a new spare.

I have no preference as to whether the new PLM is serial or USB, now that I could run either.

Given that I am entirely free to choose between both architectures, is there any advantage in reliability, efficiency. or (most important) demonstrated longevity between them that would make me prefer one over the other? Comm distance is not a factor for me.

This was answered in the thread you referenced in the post marked solution. Same board different connectors

Serial connections are slowly disapearing everywhere while USB is becoming very common, although using different connectors and faster speeds/protocols.

RS232 is really pushing the limits using 115,200 baud signals while USB 3.1 is capable of 10Gbs and still growing.

For future compatibility I would stick with USB.

I had both and cannot tell the difference. But like above mentioned the Serial to USB convertor adapter cable is very common in managing switches and routers. I had a few. Ultimately went to USB as I bought one and have a Serial as backup. 

• Like 2